Skip to content

Match day thread: Wigan

Comments

• edited August 2021

I periodically remark to my wife on the charming eccentricity and charisma of football nicknames compared to the generally aggressive American options.

U.S.A.:
    Eagles
    Giants
    Hawks
    Vikings
    Super Duper Death Star Destroyers

England:
    Brewers
    Toffee Men
    Shrimpers
    Glovers
    Robins

That being said, minor league and college teams are sometimes more eccentric over here, such as Mud Hens, Baby Cakes, 51s, etc.

• Stamford AFC in Lincolnshire are nicknamed The Daniels after England's heaviest ever man.

• Anyone know if we are in gold or red tonight?

• edited August 2021

@PJS said:
    Anyone know if we are in gold or red tonight?

Gold / damp beach / French mustard

• Greatest club name- Billingham Synthonia, of whom Frank Bough once played for. The club was named after an agricultural fertiliser; with Synthonia being a contraction of ‘synthetic ammonia’, a product manufactured by ICI, with whom the club originally had a close connection ( a very different chemical to what Frank Bough got involved in).

• I think the Monkey Hangers is the best nickname in English football

• I don't think that clubs actually call themselves Latics but is used about them mainly by journalists who like to appear with it.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Stamford AFC in Lincolnshire are nicknamed The Daniels after England's heaviest ever man.

Inspired by my Blue Peter annual depicting John Noakes and Peter Purves both standing in his trousers I made my way to Stamford to see Daniel Lambert's grave. I fear these days he would be considered a lightweight.

• @Shev said:
    I periodically remark to my wife on the charming eccentricity and charisma of football nicknames compared to the generally aggressive American options.

U.S.A.:
    Eagles
    Giants
    Hawks
    Vikings
    Super Duper Death Star Destroyers

England:
    Brewers
    Toffee Men
    Shrimpers
    Glovers
    Robins

That being said, minor league and college teams are sometimes more eccentric over here, such as Mud Hens, Baby Cakes, 51s, etc.

Might be confusing nicknames and brands a bit there @Shev , the UK list will invariably have come about from fans or have been nicknames for the sets of fans based on the areas and jobs there, and then maybe adopted back by clubs for marketing reasons, whereas that US list is marketing executive driven , Cheeseheads are a thing though aren't they? Are there more like that?

• it says all too much about Reading that they traded in the biscuitmen for the royals.

• @StrongestTeam - good distinction, and an interesting question. Most nicknames I can think of come directly from the brand (such as Bolts for the Chargers, Friars for Padres, Fish for Marlins etc.) or are simply a shortening of the brand (Rocks for Rockies), but there are a bunch of notables which still don't necessarily qualify as nicknames but are still worth noting.

Cleveland Browns - The Factory of Sadness
    Cincinnati Reds - Big Red Machine
    New York Giants - Big Blue (or Big Blue Wrecking Crew)
    Colorad Rockies - Blake Street Bombers
    New York Jets - Gang Green

However, these still often reference the team colours.

• @Wendoverman Strange what tricks the old memory plays, I always thought he was from Leicester (mainly because back in the day, the main bar in the LUSU building used to be known as the Lambert Bar, in his honour).

• Ed_Ed_
    edited August 2021

@our_frank as a current resident of Reading, I can attest that there ain't nuffink royal about the town.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    @Wendoverman Strange what tricks the old memory plays, I always thought he was from Leicester (mainly because back in the day, the main bar in the LUSU building used to be known as the Lambert Bar, in his honour).

I no longer have my BP annual to check the facts but I think you're right @LeedsBlue he was from Leicester but died in Stamford...in the local pub after some jolly. I believe he may have liked a pie or two and a pint. They had to knock down a wall to get him out or something like that. The poor quality C5 documentary of his day...

• Just bought my match pass. Looking forward to what should be a decent game!

• 45 comments until someone looked ahead to the game itself! A new record?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    45 comments until someone looked ahead to the game itself! A new record?

Isn't there usually about 100 posts critiquing the other club's badge?

• I think we did pretty well for a badge consisting of a tree and a crown. Some proper Zapruder film analysis.

• Lincoln's could be fun...

• Same starting X1 as the Cheltenham game. Horgs returns on the bench.

• @Ed_ said:
    ps - I don't get how Latics is short for athletic. Yes they share many of the same letters, but this would never be allowed to stand in an FT crossword.

Similarly never understood how Jack was the diminutive of John but it is.

• Most intense press v least intense press so far this season. Not reading too much into that after only two games, but it could be interesting to watch. Big chance for Pendles. Would snap your hand off for 0-0 right now, but we've got to beat Wigan away at some point...

• I feel Wigan will be a stern test, having given Sunderland a good game and beaten Rotherham. I am really looking forward to this one!

• Hope its a cracking game and that we edge it by the odd goal

P.S. successfully logged into i-follow and watching the stadium slowly fill

• interesting that Humphrys drops to the bench for the Latics. Would be pleased to see him stay there.

• edited August 2021

Anyone any idea what those 'cut-out' bits at either end of the stand the camera's facing are? Have never seen anything like that in any other stadium. Have wondered this since their Premier League years.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Most intense press v least intense press so far this season. Not reading too much into that after only two games, but it could be interesting to watch. Big chance for Pendles. Would snap your hand off for 0-0 right now, but we've got to beat Wigan away at some point...

I remember us starting a season off with a 5-2 lashing at Wigan.
    I'm pretty sure one of my parents was in hospital, and I had plenty of optimism rushing out to the little communal tv room and getting the teletext up. Only to grow more and more disappointed!

If I recall correctly, we even played decently that day!

• @Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Most intense press v least intense press so far this season. Not reading too much into that after only two games, but it could be interesting to watch. Big chance for Pendles. Would snap your hand off for 0-0 right now, but we've got to beat Wigan away at some point...

I'm pretty sure one of my parents was in hospital, and I had plenty of optimism rushing out to the little communal tv room and getting the teletext up. Only to grow more and more disappointed!

The last time we played Wigan was my first ever Wycombe game. Don't remember much other than we lost 2-0 and both teams had Aussies in goal.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

The last time we played Wigan was my first ever Wycombe game. Don't remember much other than we lost 2-0 and both teams had Aussies in goal.

I was at Wembley when Wigan beat Man City, having noticed they were running a "sign up, and you can guarantee a ticket at every round of Wigan's FA Cup run" type scheme.....

I signed up after the semi final! You couldn't make it up!
    Got 3 tickets too.

• edited August 2021

@ReturnToSenda said:

@PJS said:
    Anyone know if we are in gold or red tonight?

Gold / damp beach / French mustard

Oh, we're in red and white! I assumed gold as that's what was on the iFollow 'ad' from the club.