Skip to content

In praise of the good Doctor

Or, possibly the Democratic Republic.

In common, I'm sure, with many of us, I like to have a look at other club's forums, particularly before or after we play them. And, when I do, I'm struck again and again that none of them are a patch on the Gasroom. Many of them, Cheltenham's Robin's Nest being the most recent example, do not render properly on mobile devices. Nearly all of them are full of ads. Very few of them have a design that is as clean and good to look at.

Because of the lack of advertising, @drcongo clearly doesn't make any money out of it. If it actually costs him money, I'd be happy to slip him a few quid next time I see him.

And, while I'm at it, a word for the moderators. I remember @Chris is one. Admittedly, we're probably one of the easier forums to moderate, but it seems to me that they carry out their task with efficiency and restraint.

We are blessed in so many ways to be Wycombe fans, and having the Gasroom is one of them.

Comments

• Hear hear a hundred times over. Hadn’t thought of it in that light. You know I love the Gasroom and I too would happily pitch in.

• Can't agree more, I also look on other forums a lot and some are just so hard to read/follow. A big double thumbs up from me for all of you that keep this place working.

Also amazed at some clubs who barely have a forum at all !?

• I don’t visit other club forums but I can honestly say that the Gasroom has been a huge positive to me at a time when I have become much less physically active than I would like. Mrs micra would say I’m obsessed but I much prefer Matt Cecil’s response a good few years ago when I said how much I enjoyed it - “addictive, isn’t it.” Often wonder if he has time to glance at it these days. Dad probably keeps him posted!

• A quick Crowdfunder or Just Giving campaign would, I'm sure, bring in enough to pay for the Gasroom for a year or two. More than happy to put a few quid in. As with Bluntphil's commentaries and podcast, we're blessed to have such a great forum to chat our nonsense on and it's easy to take them all for granted.

• Well, thinking about it, it’s unjust.

• I must confess that when I first started on the Gasroom I was too argumentative and confrontational and fell out with some posters. My only desire was to defend the club I love against what I felt was unfair criticism, but I apologise to anyone who thought my words were too harsh.
    Moving forward, I have discussed with the aforementioned Matt Cecil (one of the best media officers in the EFL) the need to give posters more feedback on their complaints and suggestions and that is something we intend to do in future.

• I recall that the original Gasroom had a list of other teams' fan sites (relevant to the division we were in at the time) down the left hand side. This was an easy way to seek others' views. It is probably still there, although it is years since I want to the old Gasroom. Such a link on here would be great.

And as for the Gasroom 2.0, it is quite simply a brilliant read and has often informed, educated and amused me. Who would have thought that a visit to a football site could include references to politics, literature, overseas teams, crisps and language quite beyond my normal nomenclature (even if 'Merch' still grates!).

• @glasshalffull I also have to confess. When you first started posting on this forum, I took a certain amount of pleasure at having a go at you. I suspect that, if we met in real life, we would still disagree about almost everything outside the narrow confines of a football pitch (ours being, of course, particularly narrow).

However, you have certainly grown as a poster and maybe I have too. That is a particularly generous apology and it deserves to be reciprocated. I apologise to you in turn.

• @glasshalffull Oh, and can you please find out what the hell is going on with the buses, or rather the lack thereof, from the railway station?

• It’s on the list of things to do before Lincoln game.

• Great thread @OakwoodExile. This is a good opportunity to express thanks to @drcongo for providing this brilliant forum for the benefit of Wycombe fans.

• The Gasroom really does seem an outlier amongst other forums.

I particularly like the idea of an opposition fan coming on here the morning of the game looking to find out our thoughts on who will be playing for us, what formation, etc and our thoughts on the strength or otherwise of their team, only be faced with the first 2 pages of posts discussing the artistic merits of the font used on their crest.

• As a Chairboy now living in South East Kent the Gasroom has always been a godsend in keeping in touch with the club and fellow supporters and it is always a decent read even if I think some of the posts are nonsense

• Actually reading the BBC website test cricket live reporting updates (where they are now on cricket club logos) I have realised that the majority of posters on here seem to have a very similar take on the world to the conversations that regularly occur on there (with apologies to the many poor souls on here who just don’t ‘get’ cricket).

• I was brought up in Liverpool where cricket was regarded as an unnecessary interruption between football seasons! However, I regarded Chris Martin Jenkins as a good friend when we worked together at the BBC and Monty Lynch became a good pal when we played in the same football team, so I’m not a complete non-believer.

• @OakwoodExile said:

In common, I'm sure, with many of us, I like to have a look at other club's forums, particularly before or after we play them. And, when I do, I'm struck again and again that none of them are a patch on the Gasroom. Many of them, Cheltenham's Robin's Nest being the most recent example, do not render properly on mobile devices. Nearly all of them are full of ads. Very few of them have a design that is as clean and good to look at.

Because of the lack of advertising, @drcongo clearly doesn't make any money out of it. If it actually costs him money, I'd be happy to slip him a few quid next time I see him.

And, while I'm at it, a word for the moderators. I remember @Chris is one. Admittedly, we're probably one of the easier forums to moderate, but it seems to me that they carry out their task with efficiency and restraint.

We are blessed in so many ways to be Wycombe fans, and having the Gasroom is one of them.

I do miss Eddie Monsoon though from the original gas room. Is he still about? Does he post on here under a different pseudonym?

• @Gordon_Ottershaw said:

@OakwoodExile said:

I do miss Eddie Monsoon though from the original gas room. Is he still about? Does he post on here under a different pseudonym?

“It really is that simple”

• @Gordon_Ottershaw Eddie Monsoon is still about but is boycotting home matches because of some terrible transgression by the club, so serious that I cannot remember what it was. He is still seen at away matches - I had a good chat with him at the Hanwell Town friendly. I don't know whether he lurks on here.

• Are any of the other stalwarts posting under different pseudonyms? Don't see much Che or Tory Goon around these parts any more.

• Dr Congo and moderators do a fantastic job, hats off to all concerned!

• @JohnBoy i don’t think so, but they’re both still supporting the club. I spoke to Che before the Leicester game.

• The challenge for the forum will be to retain the relative bonhomie when tougher times roll around again. I hope it does. Its a very well designed forum and I think well run. We are indeed lucky to have it and should all be grateful to DC.

• @OakwoodExile I don't think that can have been Che, can it. We know what he thought of friendlies!

• I saw Che at the Accrington game game, before which he said "I just don't know what you see in McCleary"

Made a glorious afternoon even better

• @glasshalffull said:
    Moving forward, I have discussed with the aforementioned Matt Cecil (one of the best media officers in the EFL) the need to give posters more feedback on their complaints and suggestions and that is something we intend to do in future.

Could I ask that you point Matt towards the ‘Fan Feedback’ thread for this?
    And urge Gassrommers to put their comments on that thread to ensure they get seen and not lost within a thread that has taken a random diversion towards said issues (as is our want).

• @our_frank It was definitely Che. But, thinking about it, it could’ve been the Accrington game.

• @DevC said:
    The challenge for the forum will be to retain the relative bonhomie when tougher times roll around again. I hope it does. Its a very well designed forum and I think well run. We are indeed lucky to have it and should all be grateful to DC.

Strangely there are some on here who seem to never feel the good times roll...and even now cannot live in the moment without worrying about the inevitable doom around the corner.

• @eric_plant said:
    I saw Che at the Accrington game game, before which he said "I just don't know what you see in McCleary"

Made a glorious afternoon even better

Fantastic.