Skip to content

Crisp news

For the attention of Wendoverman and other fans of the deep fried thin slices of potatoes much loved by a certain big eared TV presenter and ex-footballer : a must watch programme at 8pm on Channel 4 tonight entitled 'The Secret World of Crisps'.
You know you''ll be watching.

Comments

• Might be controversial, but I've never been a massive fan of walkers, a bit thin and stick in your teeth a lot. Prefer McCoy's.

• For sure will make a point of watching, even if it's on catch up. Thanks Alan.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Might be controversial, but I've never been a massive fan of walkers, a bit thin and stick in your teeth a lot. Prefer McCoy's.

Heathen

• I know that lefty C4 lot...it'll be one of those undercover exposes with secret filming of cheese and onions being mistreated.

• mrs micra has an aversion.

• .....to the Pringle-eared presenter.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Might be controversial, but I've never been a massive fan of walkers, a bit thin and stick in your teeth a lot. Prefer McCoy's.

It took me until middle age but after years of exotic potato-based snack adventuring and experimentation I have to come to realise that ready salted Walkers are the pinnacle of the crisp world.

• Seconded.

• @HolmerBlue said:

I'm okay with Walkers, but McCoy's are the winner.

• You are excused @Shev given you are American, and they don’t really do crisps out there (admittedly Lays Paprika Chips are very nice) but you are so wrong

• The best crisps ever were Smiths Bovril flavour.

• @bookertease - I definitely agree on the poor selection over here!

• Walkers and McCoys are all so very vanilla, give me Smith’s scampi fries, pickled onion Monster Munch or Brannigan’s sinus busting ham and mustard.

• @Uncle_T said:
    The best crisps ever were Smiths Bovril flavour.

They made a perfect sarnie, does nobody make beef and onion crisps these days?

• Ladies and gentlemen, the god of all crisps....

https://www.realcrisps.com/range/roast-ox/

• Anyone remember Bensons Crisps, they used to appear in social clubs and Youth clubs. Also the sweetie man under the pepperpot on market day used to flog them. They were quite sharp tasting.

• @robin said:

@Uncle_T said:
    The best crisps ever were Smiths Bovril flavour.

They made a perfect sarnie, does nobody make beef and onion crisps these days?

I’m the absence of a beef crisp that makes your eyes water and dries your mouth i would recommend the Real Beef

• @Ed_ said:
    Walkers and McCoys are all so very vanilla, give me Smith’s scampi fries, pickled onion Monster Munch or Brannigan’s sinus busting ham and mustard.

Thumbs up to both of those, though I ended up loving Brannigan's smoked ham and pickle even more than it's more famous comrade.

• @Shev they also did an excellent Lamb and Mint, hats off to Brannigan's basically. I received a tip off recently from a friend who knows my predilections, to my delight you can get ham and mustard in B&M.

• Actually I remember Brannigans, they were nice as well

• Their ham and pickle ones were exceptional

Squares are my favourite. They are also the best to add to a sandwich to give it an extra kick

• The gasroom triumphs again! I have learned so much about the humble crisp (basic salt & vinegar man myself) from this thread and don’t need to watch that programme now.

• Murphys crisps was another brand I can remember from the 70's/80's.

• Brannigans for me! Roast beef and horseradish. Really clears the old sinuses ?

• Lockdown taught me to make my own crisps with the fancy wavy slicer on our food processor.

They beat anything served up in the supermarkets and cost virtually nothing. Parsnip and beetroot are also excellent fried snacks if there are no potatoes in the cupboard.

Kids love em.

• Tayto* is the king of crisps and, as far as I’m aware, the only brand to have its own theme park.

https://taytopark.ie/

*Cheese and onion flavour and Republic of Ireland version rather than the Northern Ireland one.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:

@HolmerBlue said:

It took me until middle age but after years of exotic potato-based snack adventuring and experimentation I have to come to realise that ready salted Walkers are the pinnacle of the crisp world.

Nearly give my first thumbs down ever after reading that!!

• Walkers Beef and onion in the dark brown packet, really were the caviar of crisps !!

• @Ed_ said:
    Walkers and McCoys are all so very vanilla, give me Smith’s scampi fries, pickled onion Monster Munch or Brannigan’s sinus busting ham and mustard.

@Alexo said:
    Brannigans for me! Roast beef and horseradish. Really clears the old sinuses ?

Let’s get this straight, the flavour was Brannigans Roast Beef and Mustard and the original thick cut version was the finest crisp ever made. Only in the last couple of years have I come across anything even approaching a successor: Tesco Finest Crinkle Cut Roast Beef Crisps with Horseradish Flavour (currently only available in 150g bags). They are a thick, but as the name would suggest, crinkle cut, and make a bold attempt at tickling your sinuses in much the same way as their champion predecessor. They aren’t as good, but they are a very decent effort.

• Was a good watch tonight and finished just in time for love island ?