Skip to content

Match day thread: Cheltenham

Comments

• Cheltenham badge looks like the side view of The Exploited's front man Wattie !!

• It's what would happen if I tried to draw a robin in the Paint program. Our swan looks like a Da Vinci masterpiece by comparison, poor Cheltenham!

• Took me ages to work out what It was meant to be, had I not started thinking of associations I would never have come up with a red breasted bird with golden brown plummage. GCSE art project with plenty of feedback from teacher.

• Notably graphic in its simplicity, but with an unfortunate hint of mid century Central European political ideology (red/white/black never a comfortable symbolic combination) - not as overt as the Fulham badge however.

• I don't normally comment on other teams badges, as they don't always look as bad as some say.... but that Cheltenham badge is bloody awful !

• edited August 2021

Great opportunity to show we belong among the big boys this season by beating a newcomer comprehensively. Gaz said he wanted more goals; let's get more goals. Vokes brace incoming (plus a JJ special...).

• Although I don’t hate the badge, my first though was why do they have a dove bleeding to death instead of a robin?

I predict plenty of chances today but only 2 scored as Vokes begins to shake the rust off. Wycombe defence rarely troubled, Stockdale continues to be the calming presence who organises our resilience. Travelling support in fine voice.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Great opportunity to show we belong among the big boys this season by beating a newcomer comprehensively. Gaz said he wanted more goals; let's get more goals. Vokes brace incoming (plus a JJ special...).

Let’s not dismiss Cheltenham too lightly. This will be a tough game-their first home match of the season, first at this level for many years, big crowd etc. Look what happened at Brentford last night.

• @glasshalffull said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Let’s not dismiss Cheltenham too lightly. This will be a tough game-their first home match of the season, first at this level for many years, big crowd etc. Look what happened at Brentford last night.

Oh, I'm not - and Gaz certainly won't allow for any complacency - but there's been a shift in emphasis for us and I think we should embrace that.

• Also expecting a tougher game from Cheltenham than Brentford got from Arsenal

• I like the idea of a shift in emphasis @ReturnToSenda but we need to be humble and cautious. We have only won one league game so far. I think Cheltenham will be a very hard game and if we are short of players due to injury then we may struggle to bring home the points.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    I like the idea of a shift in emphasis @ReturnToSenda but we need to be humble and cautious. We have only won one league game so far. I think Cheltenham will be a very hard game and if we are short of players due to injury then we may struggle to bring home the points.

Why should we be humble and cautious? We can be confident without being arrogant - again, something Gaz won't allow. We've got good strength in depth now anyway.

• For me it is feet on the ground and quietly confident and let us see where we are come the end of Sept when we will be able to compare our results with the other teams in the league.

• 1-1 would do me. Really don’t want to go to Wigan off the back of a defeat to Cheltenham.

• @floyd said:
    1-1 would do me. Really don’t want to go to Wigan off the back of a defeat to Cheltenham.

Or we get a nice 2 or 3-0 win...

• edited August 2021

Not saying that will happen - obviously it could all go horribly pear-shaped, just as any game could - but we shouldn't be talking about being ok with anything less than a win from this one, regardless of our injury problems.

• Nothing wrong with confidence but like @floyd, I will take a 1-1 or any draw away from home but if we win that will be fantastic.

• Well, this is turning into something of an odyssey. Train from London cancelled. Advised to catch train to Swindon and get connecting service from there. That too now cancelled. Replacement bus offered but driver reckoned it would take two hours. So here I am waiting for the next train one hour later.

Hopefully, I should still be on time. But it’s going to be tight!

• Bloody hell, show some ambition!

• I wouldn’t take a 1-1 if it was offered.

• @OakwoodExile said:
    Well, this is turning into something of an odyssey. Train from London cancelled. Advised to catch train to Swindon and get connecting service from there. That too now cancelled. Replacement bus offered but driver reckoned it would take two hours. So here I am waiting for the next train one hour later.

I’d have swapped your journey for mine. 2 hours of a drunken, abusive Wycombe “fan” I’ve never seen before trying to fight the whole carriage.

Never been more embarrassed to be a Blues fan sadly.

• @OxfordBlue said:

@OakwoodExile said:
    Well, this is turning into something of an odyssey. Train from London cancelled. Advised to catch train to Swindon and get connecting service from there. That too now cancelled. Replacement bus offered but driver reckoned it would take two hours. So here I am waiting for the next train one hour later.

I’d have swapped your journey for mine. 2 hours of a drunken, abusive Wycombe “fan” I’ve never seen before trying to fight the whole carriage.

Oh dear. Was this fan 'old enough to know better'?

• @OakwoodExile said:

Oops, good luck, hope you didn't pay the scandalous amount they were asking for a ticket when I had a speculative look this morning

• @OakwoodExile said:

How are you getting from the station to the ground?

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@OxfordBlue said:

@OakwoodExile said:

Oh dear. Was this fan 'old enough to know better'?

At first glance, yes, but I’m not sure what his mental age was quite frankly.

• Anyone know which 3CR frequency the game will be on? Couldn't find it on their website.

• @ReturnToSenda - ambitious as you but don’t want to put the mockers on it. Everyone deals with expectations in different ways. No need to interpret that as no ambition. I don’t want to get carried away too early but will be over the moon if we win today and turn out to be top of the pile as we progress through the season. Always nervous not to spoil things that is how it is with me so don’t get irritated Mr Senda.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Bloody hell, show some ambition!

I don’t think we are yet at the stage where we automatically think we should beat anyone in this league away from home.

I’d be perfectly happy with a point today

• @ReadingMarginalista said:
    Anyone know which 3CR frequency the game will be on? Couldn't find it on their website.

Unsure but Tues was 98 I think

• The performance is more important than the result at this stage, but I don't see why we shouldn't be expecting (or at least very strongly hoping for) both today. Anyway, COYB and all that!