Skip to content

Advance notice of Bucks v Northumberland

Some posters on here requested better notice of Bucks’ cricket fixtures. The League Cup draw now makes this more relevant.

Firstly, Bucks travel to Barrow to play Cumbria this coming Sun/Mon/Tues at Furness Cricket Club.

One week later, Bucks play their final championship 3-day game at Chesham (starting Sun 22/8/21). Play is 11-7pm each of the 3 days. Here’s hoping for an early finish on Tues 24th August as it’s then a quick trip along the A41, M25 & A1 to Stevenage for the League Cup 2nd Round tie (assuming the game is on the Tuesday). Well worth going to both games!

Comments

• I was in conversation on Wednesday with an influential figure in minor counties cricket, I was delighted when I heard the news that the minor counties are going to be re invited back into the old (Gillette/Natwest) National cup. Possibly as early as next season.

• That would be good news. The Royal London Cup has been farcical this year with so many players involved in the Hundred, and then the final this coming Thursday just 2 days after the Semis finish.

Adding the National Counties into the competition would give it a much needed boost and create a bit of excitement

• I remember leaving work and seeing the end of the match In which Bucks beat Somerset at Wycombe in June 1987. It had been a close match and as a long-standing Somerset supporter, I had mixed feelings. The competition was something the minor counties looked forward to every year.

• Andy, do people take their own chairs or tend to sit on the grass around the boundary?

• I thought they all used shooting sticks!

• 'Cricket Komodes' are all the fashion, that way you don't miss a ball.

• @eric_plant There are a few wooden benches to sit on dotted around the boundary but I’d take a chair & sit at the top of the bank by the football ground. If it’s hot there are plenty of trees giving shade.

• If anyone wants to follow Bucks progress at Furness CC the home side are 25-2 at lunch (off 14.3 overs). There’s ball-by-ball commentary online via BBC Radio Cumbria.

• Having been put into bat, Cumbria ended up 297 all out after 88.4 overs (maximum allowed is 90). Slightly disappointing for Bucks as Cumbria just crept over 200 with 7 wickets down & then put on nearly 100 more. A tricky 20 minutes for Bucks to see out tonight.

• Bucks couldn’t survive the last 5 overs & ended up on 5-1 (High Wycombe’s Elliot Callis out for 2). Play resumes at 11am on Monday morning.

• Bucks are facing an uphill task after day 2 of the championship match at Barrow. Cumbria ended on 156-6, a lead of 304. Unless Bucks can skittle out Cumbria early tomorrow they will face a superhuman effort to gain a win from this situation.

• Bucks have just lost by 158 runs to Cumbria at Furness CC in Barrow. Set 345 to win on the last day, nobody in the Bucks side got over 50 and the visitors were well beaten.
    The respective scores were Cumbria: 297 and 196-6 dec. Bucks 149 and 186.

So it’s another Northern side next for Bucks as they take on Northumberland at Chesham in a 3-day match starting at 11am on Sunday at Chesham Cricket Club.