Skip to content

Carabao Cup Rd 2

About to draw live on their Twitter page. Got a feeling it will be Oxford

Comments

• Stevenage away. Thrilling.

• Stevenage away. Sadly we are away as well so miss what is a relatively local one for us. But surely winnable.

• Have to admit is probably the least thrilling tie of the round!!!

• Good draw.
    Fairly close and very winnable

• Managed by Alex Revell now.

• Good chance to get to R3 and the last 32 of a cup competition. Real chance of a big tie at that stage.

• Works for me - second closest league ground to where I live. Always a chance of an exciting tie later on.

• I guess it's the David Stockdale Derby

• We played them in pre season didn’t we?

• That’s a half-decent draw. A winnable game, not too far to travel & therefore it means we should take a decent crowd there. Won’t be easy as we don’t want to go the same way as Luton did last night.

• Chance of progress at least. I would imagine both teams will be underwhelmed by the draw so we just need to be slightly.more whelmed than them when we play.

• Seems an ideal draw to me.
    The biggest prem clubs don't come in until round 3, so if you draw the non Euro gang like Arsenal and Villa they'll put out their youth team.

The later in the cup you play the giants the more chance they'll play proper lineups.

• Chelsea put out a pretty proper lineup when we played them in the semi-final first leg in January 2007. We had a 20 year old Portuguese player, Ricardo Batista, in goal, on loan from Fulham. Very good he was too. He is 34 now and still playing but the 29 games he played for Wycombe over two seasons have been the most he’s played (by quite a margin) for any club.

• @micra said:
    Chelsea put out a pretty proper lineup when we played them in the semi-final first leg in January 2007. We had a 20 year old Portuguese player, Ricardo Batista, in goal, on loan from Fulham. Very good he was too. He is 34 now and still playing but the 29 games he played for Wycombe over two seasons have been the most he’s played (by quite a margin) for any club.

Always rated his time here, quite surprised he never really settled anywhere as a first choice.

• Although I just saw on Wikipedia he had a 2yr ban for doping which wouldn’t have helped!

• @micra said:
    Chelsea put out a pretty proper lineup when we played them in the semi-final first leg in January 2007. We had a 20 year old Portuguese player, Ricardo Batista, in goal, on loan from Fulham. Very good he was too. He is 34 now and still playing but the 29 games he played for Wycombe over two seasons have been the most he’s played (by quite a margin) for any club.

In 2007 I think the big clubs took the League Cup more seriously. At the semi-final point, the big clubs also engage in historical revisionism and say its always been a big competition worth winning.

• edited August 2021

@micra said:

They rested a few big names, which they didn't make a mistake with in the second leg!

But what I have only just noticed from checking their line up in the first leg, is a certain keeper on the bench that we may be familiar with!
    (And obviously, the other non used sub isn't Junior!!)

Chelsea: Hilario, Geremi, Bridge (Lampard 67), Ferreira, Ashley Cole, Essien, Makelele, Mikel, Ballack, Kalou (Sinclair 90), Wright-Phillips (Sahar 61).
    Subs Not Used: Kalambay, Morais.

• @OxfordBlue said:

@micra said:

In 2007 I think the big clubs took the League Cup more seriously. At the semi-final point, the big clubs also engage in historical revisionism and say its always been a big competition worth winning.

I think Man City are sneakily always taking it seriously. 4 in a row, 5 of 6, and 6 of 8. I think they realize that when they eventually boast of the record 132 major trophies the club has won, no-one will notice that 118 of them were League Cups...

• For everyone who always says the big clubs don't take it seriously, you only have to look at the semi line ups most years to see they do.

Or at least have the fattest squads to get through without playing their A listers

• @Malone said:
    For everyone who always says the big clubs don't take it seriously, you only have to look at the semi line ups most years to see they do.

Or at least have the fattest squads to get through without playing their A listers

This is very true, and also goes for the FA Cup. Other PL teams try playing the kids and lose, leaving the playing field to the big guns.

• From the semis they take it seriously.

• edited August 2021

I suppose survival is the issue but it is sad that teams below the top six do not prioritise the Cups as we all know they are not winning the Premier League.

• edited August 2021

@Wendoverman said:
    I suppose survival is the issue but it is sad that teams below the top six do not prioritise the Cups as we all know they are not winning the Premier League.

That and £££. It's almost 1,000 times more lucrative to finish last in the Premier League than it is to win the Carabao Cup. The winners do get into Europe now (although they only qualify for the Conference League playoffs...).

• It's the teams that are never going down, but never troubling the upper reaches of the league that I wonder about.

Surely an Everton, Villa or Burnley should have a proper go at trying to win a cup rather than just worry about whether they finish 10th or 11th?

• edited August 2021

@Malone said:
    It's the teams that are never going down, but never troubling the upper reaches of the league that I wonder about.

Surely an Everton, Villa or Burnley should have a proper go at trying to win a cup rather than just worry about whether they finish 10th or 11th?

In fairness to Villa and Everton, they do tend to have a proper go. Maybe Burnley do as well; I just don't tend to notice anything they do in general.

• Coventry, Wimbledon, Wigan and Portsmouth are the only teams out of the footballing big-boys who have won it post 1980. Scientific proof that there's a hex on low-borns pretending to the crown and a warning that is clearly being heeded.

• @Ed_ said:
    Coventry, Wimbledon, Wigan and Portsmouth are the only teams out of the footballing big-boys who have won it post 1980. Scientific proof that there's a hex on low-borns pretending to the crown and a warning that is clearly being heeded.

FA Cup, yes, but there's been a decent mix of League Cup winners (albeit not in recent years).

• @Ed_ said:
    Coventry, Wimbledon, Wigan and Portsmouth are the only teams out of the footballing big-boys who have won it post 1980. Scientific proof that there's a hex on low-borns pretending to the crown and a warning that is clearly being heeded.

Didn’t Spurs win it in ‘81?

• True dat, including the PNL's finest hour! I never knew that the final was a two-legged affair for many years, or that Rotherham almost won the inaugural competition.

• Swindon Town, PNL, QPR and Wolves were all winners …it was a good competition for clubs outside the ‘big six’. Forest went to Wembley six times and won four. I was at five of those finals (before moving to Bucks) and they were good events. A replay at Old Trafford in 1978 being the absolute highlight beating Liverpool 1-0. The Liverpool fans threw a brick through our coach window when leaving the ground…