Skip to content

Match day thread: Exeter (League Cup)

Comments

• Right checked FA cup rules (how sad am I) - for main competition (not quali rds)
    replays up to fourth round.
    extra time in first game from fifth rd onwards
    five from nine subs (no extra time additional one)

• edited August 2021

@Shev said:

@HCblue said:

@Shev said:
    Tacking on to the @Erroll_Sims comment about Swiss Army Knife players, which would be the best version of Wycombe if all ten outfield players were clones of the same player? I am thinking it would go Wheeler, McCarthy, Freeman, Stewart, Thompson. Even Stockdale would be in the conversation at this point!

Don't think I understand this. If they are all clones of the same player, what difference does it make which ones play?

Any version would only have clones of one player. So a Wycombe with ten Wheelers, or a Wycombe with ten McCarthys, etc.? Basically a question of versatility.

Ah, I see.

Might enjoy a season full of twelve goal thrillers with ten McLearys.
    Less enjoyable aesthetically but possibly successful, if dour: ten Scowens.
    Surprisingly fluent: ten Stewarts.
    Can't imagine how ten Bayos would function on the pitch but it would probably be fun.

I think it might be ten Horgans for all-round capability.

• Nice game! I think Stewart is a decent shout - obviously not conceding much, can hold his own in midfield, can pick a pass, will at least win a throw in high up the pitch out wide, only needs to score one each game to win

• I'll say it: Josh Scowen is the most complete footballer Wycombe Wanderers have ever produced. Did you see that on-a-sixpence cross from deep that he put in to Vokes in the first half on Saturday?

I meant what I said a couple of weeks back, to the effect that I'd take him over a vaunted forward like Andy Carroll (or, as it turned out, Sam Vokes). He was a super player when he left us and he's a better one for the experience he's had since.

• If last night tells us anything there is no-one in the present squad that cannot do a job for us wherever they are asked to play in my opinion...and the rest of the team will support them in doing so. Got to be a good thing. Four competitions to win. :smile:

• Five, Don't neglect the B&B cup

• @HCblue said:

@Shev said:

@HCblue said:

@Shev said:
    Tacking on to the @Erroll_Sims comment about Swiss Army Knife players, which would be the best version of Wycombe if all ten outfield players were clones of the same player? I am thinking it would go Wheeler, McCarthy, Freeman, Stewart, Thompson. Even Stockdale would be in the conversation at this point!

Don't think I understand this. If they are all clones of the same player, what difference does it make which ones play?

Any version would only have clones of one player. So a Wycombe with ten Wheelers, or a Wycombe with ten McCarthys, etc.? Basically a question of versatility.

Ah, I see.

Might enjoy a season full of twelve goal thrillers with ten McLearys.
    Less enjoyable aesthetically but possibly successful, if dour: ten Scowens.
    Surprisingly fluent: ten Stewarts.
    Can't imagine how ten Bayos would function on the pitch but it would probably be fun.

I think it might be ten Horgans for all-round capability.

I said at the time that a team of ten Alfie Mawsons would have been unbeatable.

• The more I think about it, the more I think ten McCarthys might be the answer in the current squad. He is already a versatile defender with pace, so can play across the back line and at wingback. He can take corners and freekicks and has goals in him.

• 11 Stockdale's surely.

• From the current squad I would have to go for Wheeler purely for his versatility and aerial ability.

But if we could extend it back a few years can you imagine the fun of watching 10 Sidos

• @Shev said:
    The more I think about it, the more I think ten McCarthys might be the answer in the current squad. He is already a versatile defender with pace, so can play across the back line and at wingback. He can take corners and freekicks and has goals in him.

He's also played in goal

• edited August 2021

@bookertease said:
    But if we could extend it back a few years can you imagine the fun of watching 10 Sidos

You have a very interesting idea of fun!

• The worst would have been ten Leon Knights. One is bad enough.

• Nah, ten Dean Morgans would be worse. All standing around offside and moaning at each other.

• @drcongo said:
    Nah, ten Dean Morgans would be worse. All standing around offside and moaning at each other.

Imagine the scenes if the ten Dean Morgan’s scored against a Derek Adams team.

• If we're allowing former players - ten Luke O'Niens would be handy.

• @drcongo said:
    Nah, ten Dean Morgans would be worse. All standing around offside and moaning at each other.

Ten Hogan Ephraim‘s would give it a run for its money. Or not. Depends if they could be arsed

• I liked Dean Morgan, he was the only good thing about watching Wycombe for quite a long time, entertained me with his antics and was always the last to leave the pitch after games because he would interact with fans and sign autographs and pose for photos with kids

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:
    @ReturnToSenda Is the 5 subs in maximum of 3 goes the rule across all competitions this season still?
    I thought the weekend was back to 3 in the league, but clearly we used 4 last night, albeit in 3 goes.

Or is it different league versus cup?
    No extra time in the league cup, so there's no "extra" sub in extra time, but does the FA cup have extra time and thus an extra sub still?

So many questions, and I did try and google it, but it only brought up last year's "change" rules.

Wasn't Blooms a concussion sub? Extra subs in extra time are still a thing; they weren't brought in due to Covid. The FA Cup does still have extra time, although I can't remember which stage replays stop at.

Ah, I hadn't realised why Blooms went off.
    Makes sense then. Ta.

• @eric_plant said:
    I liked Dean Morgan, he was the only good thing about watching Wycombe for quite a long time, entertained me with his antics and was always the last to leave the pitch after games because he would interact with fans and sign autographs and pose for photos with kids

Sadly I returned to ST status for the 'Torquay' season when DM did not seem at all at his best.

• @ChasHarps said:
    Five, Don't neglect the B&B cup

I hope we have entered this season, I want to see Dave Wates play again.

• @TheDancingYak said:

@drcongo said:

Ten Hogan Ephraim‘s would give it a run for its money. Or not. Depends if they could be arsed

Ephraim will probably rate in my top five all time disappointments. What could have been v what was.

• Nothing will ever top the second coming of Stewart Castledine for me

It was like we'd signed his twin brother who was rubbish at football

He was so good first time around

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@drcongo said:

Ephraim will probably rate in my top five all time disappointments. What could have been v what was.

Yeah - for some reason, and against my own common sense, I thought that he might suddenly show what he could really could do.

Each time I got my hopes up. And nearly each time I was disappointed.

• I remember seeing Ephraim in a pre-season friendly at Chesham and thinking what a superb player he was. I was quite excited when he signed but soon became very disappointed.
    Ephraim had it all but just couldn’t be bothered. Such a shame.

• Draw for the next round is after the Leyton Orient - QPR game, btw. QPR 1-0 up, so hopefully in about half an hour!

• Ed_Ed_
    edited August 2021

Stuart Roberts (Snatchez basically destroyed him)

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Draw for the next round is after the Leyton Orient - QPR game, btw. QPR 1-0 up, so hopefully in about half an hour!

Orient have equalised

• Martin Bullock was disappointing, he had terrorised us for opposition sides, but seemed a spent force by the time he arrived.
    A fair few years earlier at Loakes Park we signed ex Chelsea and QPR centre half Steve Wickes, he arrived and left after about half a dozen games in a seriously unfit condition.

• Ed_Ed_
    edited August 2021

Craig Falconbridge also comes under the banner of players who terrorised us, only to dry up in the quarters.