Skip to content

Match day thread: Exeter (League Cup)

Comments

• @floyd Yes - just a week, I think, on loan from Wednesday.

• ....until Sunday

• Interview with Andre and Stocko…

I’m so proud to be associated with this team.

• It's all good telling Samuel to score more or fall over less but chasing lost causes, putting himself in the way of the defender, causing defenders problems, holding the ball up and winning free kicks covers about 90% of his game. He's 3rd choice target man at best and if he plays then the onus is on those around him to get beyond him into the box. He also seems to be a decent chap and probably isn't on a big wage. Do people really think we're now going to buy 3 or 4 players with Championship level experience for every position of every possible formation?
    Good to see Freeman contributing again, another one the club have worked hard on over several years to do a job when needed. Should he get games in any position his ability should create chances.

• Quite the Wycombe Goalies night yesterday, Dawson in the opposition goal, Scott Brown his gk coach, Allsop howlers and pen save for "Wayne Rooney's Derby *TM" and the best of the lot Stocko with his wonderful evening all round.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@glasshalffull said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Is Freeman really cut out to play wing-back? He might have done alright there last night, but let's consider the opposition. He does protect the ball well, but he's not quick (physically or mentally) or direct enough.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that he has a long term future in that position, just that he adapted well last night.

You never know (and we probably should believe in miracles by now!), but yeah, it feels more like a quick fix. I'd like to see Kashket on that side.

Just for clarity you would put Kashket at wing back ahead of Freeman? Is this based on anything more than how fast they run?

You seem a bit down on Freeman

• I would prefer Kashket as far away from our goal as possible. His speed is his main weapon and he needs to be in the opposition half not ours. Hard to see him tracking back and tackling. Freeman deserves an extended run in the match day squad. He is very versatile and is god in possession of the ball.

• Good not god

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Good not god

He kind of was god in possession at times the season before last!

• @floyd said:
    Did Exeter's keeper last night, Cameron Dawson, have a brief spell with us at one point? Perhaps in that season where we used about half a dozen keepers?

He did. It was one of my rare visits to AP. We lost 1-0 to Bristol City in a low key League Cup game. I believe Tammy Abraham may have scored the winner.

An otherwise unmemorable game was livened up by a partridge flying round the stadium dive bombing the crowd and then at half time going for a theatrical stagger around the penalty area lines in front of the terrace before in a truely oscar winning cameo he mopped his brow with his wing, lay the other wing over his heart as a tribute to his lost love and acted out a stereotypical "death scene" even kicking his leg once while lying on his back before being carried off to huge applause. (at least I hope he was only acting...). Bizarrely in my top 5 favourite moments supporting Wycombe.....

Not overly tested last night but looked solid (Dawson that is not the partridge)

• Freeman has bags of talent but appears to be a player who needs to feel loved and trusted to perform to his best, something we saw last night; if he keeps performing like that then he will do fine and alongside our other "swiss army knife" player, Wheels, gives us decent cover and felxibility.

As someone above said Samuel is not a No9 in any traditional sense, but he is a tireless runner, royal pain in the rear to defenders, holds the ball pretty well and can cross better than many, in a 4-3-3 playing wide on the right he will terrorise any but the quickest left sided defenders. He is certainly unlikely to be a first or possibly second choice starter these days but as an option sub or if we tactically change formation he provides additional choices that play to his skills.

• As for Kashket, his tracking back is superb - the home game against Sheffield Wednesday last season springs to mind - and he's much more of a threat making runs from deep and receiving the ball at pace. But as I say, Freeman could well be transformed into a good WB option.

• @Shev said:
    Anyone want Derby in R2?

They’re in the North half of the draw, unfortunately.

Details here: https://www.efl.com/news/2021/august/carabao-cup-round-two-draw-ball-numbers-confirmed/

• @ReturnToSenda it is funny how we all view players and games in a different light but life would be boring if we were the same. I just can’t see Kashket playing at wingback at all but happy to be proved wrong if he does do that job for our team.

• edited August 2021

@Blue_since_1990 said:
    @ReturnToSenda it is funny how we all view players and games in a different light but life would be boring if we were the same. I just can’t see Kashket playing at wingback at all but happy to be proved wrong if he does do that job for our team.

He played there against Leicester (as did Freeman) - only a friendly but looked promising.

• Could I ask a quick favour of someone with more time than I have available.

Could someone list the players that count against the squad limits excluding say Kashket, Bloomfield, Burley , Freeman and Samuel.

My guess before someone does the work (!) is that we wouldn't have room for say two new boys plus all those five.

If I had to choose some of those, in order I think I would choose Burley, Bloomfield, Freeman, Kashket, Samuel. (Burley and Freeman having moved up the list based on last nights performances. Alex confirmed his place at the bottom, sadly.)

Of course it may well turn out we can afford two new boys and all five in which case this post was pretty pointless.....

• @DevC said:

@floyd said:
    Did Exeter's keeper last night, Cameron Dawson, have a brief spell with us at one point? Perhaps in that season where we used about half a dozen keepers?

He did. It was one of my rare visits to AP. We lost 1-0 to Bristol City in a low key League Cup game. I believe Tammy Abraham may have scored the winner.

An otherwise unmemorable game was livened up by a partridge flying round the stadium dive bombing the crowd and then at half time going for a theatrical stagger around the penalty area lines in front of the terrace before in a truely oscar winning cameo he mopped his brow with his wing, lay the other wing over his heart as a tribute to his lost love and acted out a stereotypical "death scene" even kicking his leg once while lying on his back before being carried off to huge applause. (at least I hope he was only acting...). Bizarrely in my top 5 favourite moments supporting Wycombe.....

Not overly tested last night but looked solid (Dawson that is not the partridge)

Wasn't that one of the few games Jo Kuffour played for us too? I only remember anything about him because he got a very hostile reception fro the City fans, apart from that he was a very forgettable striker for us.

• @DevC said:
    Could I ask a quick favour of someone with more time than I have available.

Could someone list the players that count against the squad limits excluding say Kashket, Bloomfield, Burley , Freeman and Samuel.

My guess before someone does the work (!) is that we wouldn't have room for say two new boys plus all those five.

If I had to choose some of those, in order I think I would choose Burley, Bloomfield, Freeman, Kashket, Samuel. (Burley and Freeman having moved up the list based on last nights performances. Alex confirmed his place at the bottom, sadly.)

Of course it may well turn out we can afford two new boys and all five in which case this post was pretty pointless.....

@ReturnToSenda has provided one, but i can't track it down at the moment. IIRC we've got room for two more over 21s. I think Burley is under the age limit.

• edited August 2021

Burley is just over the age limit, but we've still got room for two more. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/142YUxYzUdejUKMYZ-lCes7SDGn079lUpkF2vvvTqZic/edit?usp=sharing

• Anyone else hoping for Arsenal away in tonight's draw? Never been to the Emirates.

• Arsenal at home as we didn't get to experience our home cup game v 'big' PL opposition last season!

• Arsenal are the only team in the southern section we've never played.

• Ah thank you @ReturnToSenda.

Mine was indeed a pointless a post then. (some may say as usual.....)

• edited August 2021

Tacking on to the @Erroll_Sims comment about Swiss Army Knife players, which would be the best version of Wycombe if all ten outfield players were clones of the same player? I am thinking it would go Wheeler, McCarthy, Freeman, Stewart, Thompson. Even Stockdale would be in the conversation at this point!

• @ReturnToSenda Is the 5 subs in maximum of 3 goes the rule across all competitions this season still?
    I thought the weekend was back to 3 in the league, but clearly we used 4 last night, albeit in 3 goes.

Or is it different league versus cup?
    No extra time in the league cup, so there's no "extra" sub in extra time, but does the FA cup have extra time and thus an extra sub still?

So many questions, and I did try and google it, but it only brought up last year's "change" rules.

• @Shev said:
    Tacking on to the @Erroll_Sims comment about Swiss Army Knife players, which would be the best version of Wycombe if all ten outfield players were clones of the same player? I am thinking it would go Wheeler, McCarthy, Freeman, Stewart, Thompson. Even Stockdale would be in the conversation at this point!

Don't think I understand this. If they are all clones of the same player, what difference does it make which ones play?

• 3 from 7
    But can have up to two "concussion subs" on top - of which Matt B was an example last night.
    Not sure about FAC.

• @OxfordBlue said:

Wasn't that one of the few games Jo Kuffour played for us too? I only remember anything about him because he got a very hostile reception fro the City fans, apart from that he was a very forgettable striker for us.

Think that is the game when Jo scored an absolute worldie cutting in from the left wing and hitting a screamer from outside the box into the top corner at the away end. Only thing about him to write home about, other than his stunning wife of course?

• @HCblue said:

@Shev said:

Don't think I understand this. If they are all clones of the same player, what difference does it make which ones play?

Any version would only have clones of one player. So a Wycombe with ten Wheelers, or a Wycombe with ten McCarthys, etc.? Basically a question of versatility.

• edited August 2021

@Malone said:
    @ReturnToSenda Is the 5 subs in maximum of 3 goes the rule across all competitions this season still?
    I thought the weekend was back to 3 in the league, but clearly we used 4 last night, albeit in 3 goes.

Or is it different league versus cup?
    No extra time in the league cup, so there's no "extra" sub in extra time, but does the FA cup have extra time and thus an extra sub still?

So many questions, and I did try and google it, but it only brought up last year's "change" rules.

Wasn't Blooms a concussion sub? Extra subs in extra time are still a thing; they weren't brought in due to Covid. The FA Cup does still have extra time, although I can't remember which stage replays stop at.