Skip to content

Match day thread: Accrington Stanley

Comments

• I haven't been anywhere near a noisy pub in many a year, but it brought back horrible memories, of screaming into someone's ear from 1cm away, and getting a wet, spit filled mouthful of drink back in the ear from the returned conversation.

The old tricks of a lot of nodding and gambling on "Yes" got me through.

• Re using the Fetch App. It was necessary to scan the QR codes located around the place to gain access to be able to actually order anything. The ones in the Caledonian Suite worked once you knew that trick.
    Simply loading and opening the app resulted in all the locations showing as "Open at 0:00". I know, from speaking to what may have been one of the developers, that it was a requirement to add the opening/closing times to the locations. Hence I'm sure this is a bug which can be fixed.
    Also found they didn't send the "order ready" notification which is down to better training of the staff, again it can be addressed. Still not convinced we need the app to order beer though, but I'm prepared to be converted if it speeds things up.

• I'm in FA Block Q Row G and thought the volume was only marginally loud. Just experience in setting levels I guess.

• The speakers were way too loud when I was a volunteer seat cleaner. Hoped it was because they were testing at the time and would be turned down to a level that would not burst my eardrums!

• @Gary said:
    I’m 53 seconds into John Coleman’s post match. ‘At half time, we went in 2-0 but we were the better team, we had all the play’. Which game was he watching??

For the first 8 minutes they were, we looked like we had another 3 gears.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    The speakers were way too loud when I was a volunteer seat cleaner. Hoped it was because they were testing at the time and would be turned down to a level that would not burst my eardrums!

Yes, I was in the Away stand cleaning seats and the system was indeed eardrum bursting when under test! Nothing like that in the FA today though, which is why I posted only marginally loud.

• Ps.... Vokes doesn't look match fit...

• Imagine what he'll be like when he is though.

• Probably because he isn’t yet?> @bigred87 said:

Ps.... Vokes doesn't look match fit...

• I thought Vokes had a decent game. All that space that McCleary and Horgan found didn’t happen by magic.

• Stockdale arguably MOTM for me. Strange to say when he’s not had to make many saves but he claimed so many crossfield balls into the box, which snuffed out one of Accy’s main routes to goal and allowed the defence to hold a line knowing he’d collect anything that went in behind. Excellent kicking too. Of course MOTM has to go to a double goalscorer but Stocko really did make a huge contribution.

Front three were really good. Im sure they will cause plenty of probelms, especially with Kaikai, Mehmeti, Kashkett etc to rotate with. Vokes showed plenty to suggest he’ll provide excellent link up play and goals. Getting off the mark in August could be crucial for him I think.

Good that the shape allows us to play Horgan & Mcleary high, so we’re straight up the pitch and turning defenders when we win it (and with Scowen/Gape/Thomo we will regularly turn over possession). Certainly looks like we will cause teams problems playing that way and it’s a still direct but with a variation to how we’ve played in the past under Gaz.

In fact we should have wrapped it up with a third and need to be a bit more ruthless - In the first half we were clinical to get in front but when the opportunities to go 3-0 appears second half the final ball or finish was missing.

Great game from Stewart. Slightly surprised we didn’t get an offer for him in the summer. Maybe we did but turned it down, I suppose.

All that said, Accy were decent and I suspect will do alright over the season. Their movement was quite nice at times and they pass the ball around well. The big diagonal didn’t work for them (mainly due to the aforementioned good work from Stocko) and they probably persisted with that pass too much.

• Indeed! He's gonna be fantastic ?

• My season ticket behind the goal said enter by Gate 8.There was no gate 8. Zero sound from the tannoy all game. A sound engineer in front of me failed to rectify the problem.at HT. Who was introduced to the fans at HT? Having said that I felt emotional being back behind the goal starting Chairboys as old as I am. I came to support the team and my goodness they played well. The most important thing to attract supporters is that our team perform well. Anything else is a bonus.

• One thing is for sure we will give a few teams a spanking this season which we haven’t done for a while. Hopefully it’s those most deserving of it such as the deluded team up the m40.

• And the nomads just off the A5 in Denbigh North, @OX66

• @Twizz said:
    Re using the Fetch App. It was necessary to scan the QR codes located around the place to gain access to be able to actually order anything. The ones in the Caledonian Suite worked once you knew that trick.
    Simply loading and opening the app resulted in all the locations showing as "Open at 0:00". I know, from speaking to what may have been one of the developers, that it was a requirement to add the opening/closing times to the locations. Hence I'm sure this is a bug which can be fixed.
    Also found they didn't send the "order ready" notification which is down to better training of the staff, again it can be addressed. Still not convinced we need the app to order beer though, but I'm prepared to be converted if it speeds things up.

I wasn't necessarily after any food, but thought i'd download the app and see how it worked, and at least check the menu.

But yes, actually scanning it was the missing step then.
    The instructions i'm sure said either scan the QR code OR use the app, not a combination of the two :)

Is the app recently designed? Looking at the "collect" tab on it, suggested other places would take it, suggesting to me it's a long created app that we're just tapping into? Could be totally wrong though.

• edited August 2021

@TheChair said:
    My season ticket behind the goal said enter by Gate 8.There was no gate 8. Zero sound from the tannoy all game. A sound engineer in front of me failed to rectify the problem.at HT. Who was introduced to the fans at HT? Having said that I felt emotional being back behind the goal starting Chairboys as old as I am. I came to support the team and my goodness they played well. The most important thing to attract supporters is that our team perform well. Anything else is a bonus.

Just a chap called Rob Couhig. :)

And also the young Gibraltar signing.
    Who brought the place down by saying something like the whole of Gibraltar had stopped when hearing news of his signing. Loved it.

• I thought Scowen was our outstanding player, disrupted and intercepted almost every Accy attack, fine performances from Stewart and McCleary.
    Vokes created space for others although clearly not match fit.
    Mehmeti is such a fantastic talent, let's hope Gareth can find a prominent role for him.
    Gripes
    Bayo is simply in no condition to play anymore that a 5 minute cameo role these days. His inability to be able to close anyone down, puts you under more pressure. And is simply to slow in open play.
    And the Adams Park village today was basically a beer tent, with a fella that looked liked Billy Joe Armstrong (Green day) in his blonde days belting out tunes.
    No idea what has happened to all the other food vendors ?

• edited August 2021

Bloody hell, John Coleman is even more deluded than I thought. "Nothing in the game" apparently.

• Thought that was prior to the game. The HT was the new signings?

• Ok think I may be a bit controversial here.

I think the change from Vokes to Bayo (although it was needed due to Vokes lack of match play in last 12 months) meant that we bypassed the midfield.

Bayo was never going to win much against their 8ft tall defenders and resorting to lumping it forward with a midfield that was not set up for this did not help in last 30mins

Love Bayo but today was not the game

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    Thought that was prior to the game. The HT was the new signings?

You're correct, i've edited a bit :)

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Bloody hell, John Coleman is even more deluded than I thought. "Nothing in the game" apparently.

Easier to say this then say "yeah we were comfortably beaten today and were massively flattered by a scoreline that suggests it was a close one"

• Took my 5 year old to his first game today. Few points...

• the queue for a drink was a farce. He got very tetchy waiting for Dad to get his compulsory IPA. Enticed him with the reward of a burger.....
      -.....£8.50!!!!!! If you are going to serve burgers for £8.50, they have to be worth it. Quite frankly....average at best!!

• parked at the end of Hillbottom Road to avoid the £10 parking fee. Trudged a 5 year old boy through the rain to find our car blocked in. After a good day put a tarnish on it for him and he said he won't come back! (He will).

• no food in the ground?!?!

Why don't the club say if you bring a kid, parking is £5?They are the next generation of supporters! We need to get them keen. £8 for a ticket for him was a gamble, £8.50 burger, plus £10 parking so he doesn't have to walk in the rain, that's an expensive day for any parent.

Nonetheless. Great result. Tannoy system good. Dancing/disco floodlight were a nice touch! Not sure how much of the pitch announcer I can take this year! He was very enthusiastic though so fair play to him. Just don't think the crowd reacted to him!

• edited August 2021

@Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Easier to say this then say "yeah we were comfortably beaten today and were massively flattered by a scoreline that suggests it was a close one"

True, and he does come across as the sore loser type.

• Always a great writeup from you, @Glenactico.

• On holiday atm so had to be content with listening to the commentary. Would Samuels have been a better replacement for Vokes, given the mobility issues of Bayo?

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    On holiday atm so had to be content with listening to the commentary. Would Samuels have been a better replacement for Vokes, given the mobility issues of Bayo?

I think Samuel will be very effective when filling in with this system; obviously he's no Vokes, but he's still very effective at creating space - and he's never had the quality of the likes of McCleary and Horgan playing off him, so we've maybe not reaped the full rewards of that before.

• edited August 2021

@thecatwwfc said:
    Nonetheless. Great result. Tannoy system good. Dancing/disco floodlight were a nice touch! Not sure how much of the pitch announcer I can take this year! He was very enthusiastic though so fair play to him. Just don't think the crowd reacted to him!

He did read out the Accrington line-up far too enthusiastically. Away teams should be read out in the style of Keith from The Office.