Skip to content

Match day thread: Accrington Stanley

Comments

• What was the news on the absentees? I saw Wheeler tested for Covid but are the other injured?

• Not particularly sold on Freeman as a wing-back - he's too hesitant on the ball and not quick enough - but then we didn't really have another option without disrupting the shape. Interested to see if we do it again and can develop him there, though.

• And I think the only 'SHIT!' moment (other than the slightly hairy finish to the game) was when JJ went for a grab of the Accy player's ankles in the box before thinking better of it and pulling out.

• Very good start , defence and keeper very solid , attacking on break good to see. Pendlebury a little nervous , first game not quite clicked with new players and system but big thumbs up. Meanwhile the wait for a drink was horrendous left home at 1230 served a drink at 1430 ! Can’t comment on the £8.50 burgers hope they were worth it .

• This big step up/down lark is fun in the other direction!

• edited August 2021

I really liked their 'keeper, making his senior debut - Neuer-esque sweeping and only got in trouble the once, when Mehmeti ended up the wrong side of him. Can tell he's a City player.

• @Chris said:
    And that’s without Tafazolli, Wheeler, Gape, Thompson or Kashket.

I can’t remember when we’ve had such strength in depth

• We may not win every game but if we play like that we should have exciting times this season. Press fell away a bit from 60 minutes on.but understandable. Even so...we had so many chances and still going eventhough we were winning. Great start!

• So good to be back.... on another day we could of won 4/5-0, shame we didn't keep a clean sheet but overall a great start. Up the blues.......

• Loved Stockos big voice, and control of his area

• Thought Horgan came into his own in this one, could be a big season for him. Some really impressive link up play between the front three.

• That performance from McCleary was as complete a performance from Wycombe player as I can remember.

• Vokes looked quality...looking forward to his first goal and Scowen was good too. If they have 'found their level' I'm glad it is with us!

• Oh, and Horgan was outstanding.

• I never feel confident against Accrington, so that's a great win today. Unable tp go today, but listening on Ifollow we sounded very comfortable up until the final 5mins.

Right, so when do the £28 Cheltenham tickets go on sale? Desperate to go to that one, but could be a scramble for tickets I imagine!

• Yes a great win. Utterly ridiculous queues for drinks and the Fetch App not seeming to produce anything quicker! Very sad to not have the player interview in the Caledonian at the end. Sadly a real feeling of us and them now. Certainly not worth staying on at the end apart from the need to wait for the release from the upper car park. Hopefully more lessons to be learned and we'll wait and see what the next home game brings.

• So many positives, You can see Mehmeti is going to give defences a torrid time. Grimmer was on top form, Vokes quality hold up play, oh and Mrs Ital dropped me off and picked me up after the game and bought me a keg from the brewery happy days

• Excellent start against a good team. A few players who could come into the team as well. Hopefully a couple of loanees of the quality of last year to come in , in the next few weeks. Incredibly competitive squad. Very optimistic about this season.

• McCleary looked like he really enjoyed his football today, lovely to see him in the flesh; pausing, looking up, thinking about exactly where he would place the ball and then, wham, a brilliant, joyful celebration to finish. Playing a triangle of Vokes ahead of McCleary and Horgan, all interchanging, overlapping, playing cute one-twos... with Wheeler and Mehmeti for back-up - we could become a much-feared attacking unit very quickly.

I'm delighted to see us sticking to the wingback system and McCarthy in particular showed some great pace and positioning. I think both he and Obita need to work on crossing a little as there's no point having a Rolls Royce attack with balls being supplied by Toyota (or whatever, car-based analogies are not my strong point). With Pendlebury in the team Scowen had to sit deeper and work more protectively than he will with Thompson or Gape alongside him - that meant we didn't see the sort of balls through the middle we know he can deliver, which puts even more onus on the wingbacks to deliver.

But very promising times, especially with a defence that won't fear any attack in this division given their new-found Championship pedigree. Stewart in particular looked super confident and in control today, which was fantastic to see.

I still think we need to get more depth in the wingback positions in the squad if the plan is to stick to this system. And if either Gape or Thompson are out long term we should look to bring in another central midfielder on loan as I'm not sure Pendlebury is quite ready just yet.

But overall, very positive first impressions - and lovely to be back (even if I also ended up having to walk from the train station....)

• A while since I have been to a home match - long distance supporter - and was apprehensive given some of comments on this forum. But here’s my take - Great afternoon- coach from West Wycombe worked like a dream both ways. Queued about 20 mins or so for a drink in Chairboys Village tent but good atmosphere and queue moved pretty well. Couple of good burgers from the “barbecue”. Got into ground with season ticket and ticket bought online for other half without a problem. Bought drinks and food at half time without issue. Overall great day and a great win COYB!

• I got dropped off and walked back to station in pouring rain...but it was worth it.

• Good result and decent enough performance. I think the second goal changed everything though as defensively after that Accrington looked all over the place and we could (and probably should) have taken more advantage.

Horgan and McCleary looked like Championship players (let’s hope no-one from there was watching) and Vokes caused a few problems and grew into the game.

Special mention from me for Stewart though. Commanding performance and just seems to get better every year.

• I know mccleary was deserved MOM but how good was it to see Stockdale so commanding on all those high crossed balls

• For those of us unable to be there, why were Vokes and McClearly taken off?

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    For those of us unable to be there, why were Vokes and McClearly taken off?

Fitness and injury respectively

• @DJWYC14 said:
    I know mccleary was deserved MOM but how good was it to see Stockdale so commanding on all those high crossed balls

SO good. He really is a cut above Allsop.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    For those of us unable to be there, why were Vokes and McClearly taken off?

First game easing in for Vokes and maybe cramp for McCleary?
    Nothing to worry about with either.

• @Wycombe85 said:
    I never feel confident against Accrington, so that's a great win today. Unable tp go today, but listening on Ifollow we sounded very comfortable up until the final 5mins.

Right, so when do the £28 Cheltenham tickets go on sale? Desperate to go to that one, but could be a scramble for tickets I imagine!

They went on sale after the game in the office. Good to have got hold of one.

• edited August 2021

Did anyone get the fetch app working?
    On mine it never changed from showing as not open on the table service bit and never even showed the options for collection

• Great first game, deserved win, could've done without a nervy last 5 mins though. No one was bad, well done to all, but special mentions to McCleary, Horgan, Stewart and Stockdale !