Skip to content

Comments

• So much work goes into these, and it's much appreciated Tom. Thanks.

• Yes great job Tom.

• Thanks for doing this.

• Appreciated, guys, although really no need to thank me! I enjoy doing them, and I'll be back on it properly this season as I've got a format that fits better around work etc. now.

• Yeah, thanks @ReturnToSenda .

On another thread there was a comment about the seeming apathy of people in Wycombe and surrounding towns and villages as demonstrated by the disappointing crowd to wider population ratios. Are you in a position (or could you be arsed ?!) to pull out a few population to average gate ratios? I know the population of Oxford is considerably greater than that of ‘Greater High Wycombe’ (in the Greater London sense) so that would go some way towards explaining why, they have traditionally attracted bigger crowds than WW.

Just a thought and, even as I laboriously tap this out, I’m starting to yawn. I think there are more immediate and exciting matters to focus on !

• @micra In fairness, I am interested in that kind of thing, so I will have a look when I can be arsed ? We've probably got a catchment area of a good 200,000 people at least, though? If you lump all the surrounding villages and smaller towns in.

• Most of my acquaintances seem to be Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea or Palace fans with a lot more plastic United fans. However well Wycombe do, it is unlikely we will be able to convert many (if any) of those. Oxford being further away from London probably have a more convertable catchment area.

• A mate of mine grew up literally a five-minute walk from Adams Park and he's a Leeds fan through his dad, so there's always that too.

• I don't think there's many Palace fans in Bucks or outside Reigate

• The 50/50 matchday draw is no more :(

• Oh that's a shame. I loved losing every week.

• @peterparrotface said:
    I don't think there's many Palace fans in Bucks or outside Reigate

I know three at my golf club alone.

• Funnily enough I know 4 Palace supporters locally

• Thanks for these Tom

• Good stuff.

• Lens in northern France regularly used to get a higher average attendance than the population of the town

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Funnily enough I know 4 Palace supporters locally

Do they go? Never met one that goes to games

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    The 50/50 matchday draw is no more :(

I think I've played like twice in 20 years so I won't miss it.... But why???
    ....hang on.... Have I just answered my own question??

• @Alexo said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    The 50/50 matchday draw is no more :(

I think I've played like twice in 20 years so I won't miss it.... But why???
    ....hang on.... Have I just answered my own question??

I won it one week when I was a student and was one away the week after.

I won the spot the fan award in the BFP a few weeks before. They’d print a random crowd picture and circle face in the crowd. If you wrote in, I think they gave you a tenner.

Pretty much the only competitions I’ve ever won!

• @peterparrotface said:

@HolmerBlue said:
    Funnily enough I know 4 Palace supporters locally

Do they go? Never met one that goes to games

Very occasionally I think, by no means regulars

• We bought every week and never won…it’s a fun way of donating to the club…maybe the ‘cash free’ adams park is the reason?

• I won it once....very welcome it was too so I suppose I used up my quota of luck anyway. Shame to see it go though...45 (or perhaps 49) mins of hope every game. Just when they've got a PA that you can hear as well!!

• Yes, a real shame to see the 50/50 go and I'll miss it as it was certainly a significant part of my match day experience (never won but several times within one or two numbers). With the advent of cheap easily portable card readers along with our much improved wifi, could we not consider tap and buy tickets? Even easier for the vendors as well. Easy money for the club I'd have thought.

• It's part of the move towards paperless, which is fair enough. Maybe they'll replace it with something else eventually.

• Laudable but we'll see how the paperless toilet works first.?

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    Laudable but we'll see how the paperless toilet works first.?

Haven't the Japanese come up with a solution for that yet?!

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@ValleyWanderer said:
    Laudable but we'll see how the paperless toilet works first.?

Haven't the Japanese come up with a solution for that yet?!

Presumably an old fashioned bidet that also has a blower on it

• @eric_plant said:
    Lens in northern France regularly used to get a higher average attendance than the population of the town

That's literally true, but Lens and Douai are practically one town. Nevertheless they do get a really high proportion of the local population watching them.

The other thing that I always loved about Lens was that they refer to their colours (red and yellow) as "Le Sang et L'Or" (Blood and Gold". I saw Jamaica v Croatia there at the '98 World Cup (Croatia won 3-1 with a fantastic goal from Robert Prosinečki).