Skip to content

Attendance Prediction Game On - Game One - One Week to Go - Accrington Stanley (H) Sat 7th Aug

Comments

• Holidays, traffic problems, those playing/watching cricket, golf etc and season ticket problems therefore only 4444 including 111 Accies.

• 5112 with 87 Accy fans

• Don’t we usually put Accrington fans at the end of the ‘Main’ stand? This season with social distancing to boot.

• @micra said:
    Don’t we usually put Accrington fans at the end of the ‘Main’ stand? This season with social distancing to boot.

I can't remember the last time we did that. I remember it many years ago vs Dag and Red.

• 5436 with 147 Accrington fans.

• 4,876 with 214 away supporters

• 5755 - with 208 from Accrington please

• @mooneyman said:
    Holidays, traffic problems, those playing/watching cricket, golf etc and season ticket problems therefore only 4444 including 111 Accies.

Reckon you may have underestimated the level of excitement about the opportunity after eighteen months to see a greatly improved squad, playing an entertaining style of football.

• @micra said:

@mooneyman said:
    Holidays, traffic problems, those playing/watching cricket, golf etc and season ticket problems therefore only 4444 including 111 Accies.

Reckon you may have underestimated the level of excitement about the opportunity after eighteen months to see a greatly improved squad, playing an entertaining style of football.

What's the weather going to be like?

• @micra said:

@mooneyman said:

I always try and temper my expectations for times when we should get good crowds. The apathy to Chairboys by the majority of the town is always as baffling as it is disappointing.

• Too many supporters of the bigger London clubs unfortunately.

• Crowd Prediction Update 31 forecasters have read the tea leaves, visited Delphi, consulted the BBC for the weather or slaughtered a chicken and then posted their predictions . My spreadsheet says the average forecast for total crowd is now 5127, with 171 of the total for them in the away area. So we are saying just under 5000 Wycombe fans.

As many have pointed out - a difficult occasion to read the leaves for - there are those who have longed for live football, and maybe those who maybe have got out of the habit. There are queues and food and the weather to be concerned about.

One thing is certain - that it will be special occasion that hopefully won't be repeated - first game without an attendance limitation for nigh on 18 months. If we are right that the crowd will be in the 4000 to 6000 range then there will be plenty of space for everyone to feel as safe as they want to and plenty of atmosphere.

So I have bought my pork pie, planned to set off early from East Anglia to help with the traffic chaos, parking chaos and the possibility of turnstile chaos. I am looking forward immensely. Just 24 hours and a bit to go.

Predictions welcome until 14:00 tomorrow - give it a go if you haven't already.
    Up the Blues Again

• @mooneyman said:

@micra said:

@mooneyman said:

Showers, perhaps heavy, with thunder. Pleasantly cool (17c ish); chilly for the old and infirm !!

• Very much agree with @OxfordBlue. Two things relevant to tomorrow that I’ve learnt over the decades - games rarely go to plan and pan out the way you expected and weather forecasts also tend to defy predictions. Lap of the gods n all that.

Our proximity to London is a double edged sword. It’s great if you are a commuter/West End shopper/big club fan etc but it must be a significant factor, amongst other reasons for the history of disappointing crowd to population ratios.

• @micra said:

@mooneyman said:

@micra said:

@mooneyman said:

Showers, perhaps heavy, with thunder. Pleasantly cool (17c ish); chilly for the old and infirm !!

Why no lightning with the thunder @micra?

• We meteorologists rarely mention the phenomenon that precedes the thunder. Strange that.

• Donner und Blitzen sounds much more dramatic.

• The proximity to London is both a curse and and opportunity:

• yes locals go and watch London clubs BUT as football fans they should be incentivised to watch their local league side on their capital clubs ‘away’ weekend - or indeed as Premier League clubs more than likely not 3 o’clock Saturday kick offs.
    • so I have discussed with the club ‘discount if you show your season ticket’ type schemes (think Rissborough Rangers do/did that) and leafleting the rail stations along the Chiltern line on their match days to bring these fans to AP.
    • in media terms we get lost in all the competitive noise situated as we are on the edge of several radio and tv regions and failed local press, which doesn’t help promoting us. The job BBC Radio Oxford do for the PNL is unbelievable in terms of air time and blinkered fandom for example.
    • however our proximity to London has been a massive factor in attracting perm and loan players based in the capital, indeed proximity to H’row was a key factor in bringing Rob Pete and Missy to town, which is probably a bigger plus than all the minuses above.
  • @micra said:
    Very much agree with @OxfordBlue. Two things relevant to tomorrow that I’ve learnt over the decades - games rarely go to plan and pan out the way you expected and weather forecasts also tend to defy predictions. Lap of the gods n all that.

Our proximity to London is a double edged sword. It’s great if you are a commuter/West End shopper/big club fan etc but it must be a significant factor, amongst other reasons for the history of disappointing crowd to population ratios.

I meant “the weather also tends to defy predictions “ of course. Very sloppy.

• Some excellent points @perfidious_albion, especially the leafleting suggestion. Was it well received?

I did briefly wonder how our proximity to Harrow was a key factor. Exeter to Yeovil (where are they now?) would have been a bit of a drag.

• @micra the incremental fan engagement program was something discussed pre take over with Pete and Mark Palmer (remember him!).
    Like so many things there has to be a priority list with limited resources to implement them. So this is in the box marked ‘pending’. Interesting though that Rob talks about Marlow and Beaconsfield in the latest video, this is where the big bucks (no pun intended) are locally and it’s the premium offerings the club are developing that will attract this target

• Well this has a satisfying sense of familiarity and normality about it. Thanks, @railwaysteve.

I haven’t a clue for this one so let’s take a wild stab in the dark; 5,120, with 146 from Accy.

• 5026 including 168 Accy.

• 4,791 with 115 most welcome fans from Accrington (doffs hat to Keith Allen).

Thanks, @railwaysteve

• 5,424 with 190 from Accy.

• Crowd of 4910 in total, with 210 being Accrington. Thanks for running the competition.

• Thanks for organising again RailwaySteve.

Now this has to be the most difficult prediction yet! From our group of season ticket holders none of us are going. I’m at Wembley, my brother is at Trent Bridge and our other friends are not available either.

Lots of people will be on holiday, others will not want to put themselves at risk, however many will be desperate for live football.

I’m going for 4567 with 123 from Accrington.

• @wwfcblue am I correct in thinking that all be it a misnomer, all season ticket sales count in the official match attendance figures as ‘seats sold’?

• @perfidious_albion said:
    @wwfcblue am I correct in thinking that all be it a misnomer, all season ticket sales count in the official match attendance figures as ‘seats sold’?

I use the official match day attendance figures - usually off the BBC website - or from the club if that is not available. I believe, that @perfidious_albion is correct and for League matches season ticket holders do count in attendance. For that reason today's attendance may be higher than it looks like from the crowd on the day.

• Thanks for running this - I’m going for 5,825 with 128 Lancastrians