Skip to content

Derby County FFP and the EFL

Comments

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    What I find really odd is the accounts. They have to file by the latest on the 18th of August and pretty much everyone who comments say they will demonstrate a failure of FFP. So once again they will be charged and once again they will face penalties. It like giving a drunk some car keys and saying make your way home and then waiting to arrest them.
    And if they are signing 'stars' on 'decent' wages as they are allowed to now (free or not) then surely they are simply getting into more of a financial pickle.

100%, If it's a waving of the rules with impact on future finances then asking to see the accounts first seems a fairly obvious step.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Really sad to see a club so obviously floundering being allowed to carry on gorging themselves towards another inevitable problem when the real help is to say stop.

Bolton were told to stop and arguably are in a better place now than if they'd been allowed the same scope as Derby. I am certain the Wayne Rooney element of 'Wayne Rooney's Derby County' is the key driver in the for a spineless Football League.

Arguably, Bolton are in a better place because they are being run by successful, hard-nosed businesspeople who have a good idea what they are doing.

• I see Ryan Allsop was on the bench for Derby yesterday.

• When a management with a reputation for brilliance tackles a business with a reputation for bad economics, it is the reputation of the business that remains intact. – Warren Buffett.

EFL clubs voted for Peter Ridsdale (proven track record on ruining clubs like Leeds, Cardiff and Barnsley) onto the board to represent them. What were they thinking?

Was anybody else aware Derby had their own director on the EFL board?

As Bill Shankley said,“If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain an advantage, then he should be.”

Must confess that nugget of information didn't seem to be in the public domain.

• edited July 2021

Jason Knight is going to be out for up to three months - after a tackle from Rooney in training ?‍♂️

• YCMIU

• They are not allowed to pay any more than 4.5k per week under the terms of the EFL latitude on the embargo. So this is their way of by-passing that ruling by the EFL.
    I don’t blame Derby they are trying to do what is best for them. Whoever is doing the legal and compliance stuff at the EFL must be an intern. Or corrupt. Or Peter Risdale.

• Even though we fell at the last hurdle I suspect I am looking forward to our season in League One with far more optimism than Rams fans are about theirs.

• 1000 comments now……

• Beg pardon @MBS ?

• 73.4K views and 1K comments on this thread @micra.

• "The EFL understand that Derby cannot yet afford a computer to redo the accounts on, and are allowing extra time for them to be handwritten in crayon."

• @Shev said:
    "The EFL understand that Derby cannot yet afford a computer to redo the accounts on, and are allowing extra time for them to be handwritten in crayon."

Good to see that Rooney is in charge of resubmitting them then.

• @Gary said:

@Shev said:
    "The EFL understand that Derby cannot yet afford a computer to redo the accounts on, and are allowing extra time for them to be handwritten in crayon."

Good to see that Rooney is in charge of resubmitting them then.

'I was like up all night doing them right and then I must have fell asleep like and I reckon the two birds I met in the club who was helping me ran off with them. No. NO there's no point bothering Coleen....'

• I hear that Derby need the extra time as the original accountants failed their maths GCSE and need time to resit the exam.

• Have a minor fine, suspended proper punishment and some more time to do key part of the case.

What next? Ask them what season they wouldn't mind having points deducted in?

• We are being a bit harsh. After all, they only cheated with a small c, I hear.

• Do what they like, when they like. What a heart warming story when they stay up.

• Derby have been hit with another claim that they failed to pay a transfer payment, surely The EFL have to take action now.

• I think we have long established that Wayne Rooney's Derby County™️ can do what they like when they like. The problem is not with them it is with the EFL and their role as fixture compilers and not guardians of the game.

• edited September 2021

It's an absolute f*****g circus - and while there's not really anything we can do now, I hope Rob keeps banging the drum over what an injustice it is. That's not being bitter or dramatic; we did things by the book and got shafted.

• I hope Rob keeps quiet

• Unless @glasshalffull wants to go full Swann about it in the media, I feel that train has left the station for us and moaning about it now does us no good and looks a tad undignified. We are better off concentrating on ourselves and maintaining convincing League One promotion push while letting Direby's cards fall where they may.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Unless @glasshalffull wants to go full Swann about it in the media, I feel that train has left the station for us and moaning about it now does us no good and looks a tad undignified. We are better off concentrating on ourselves and maintaining convincing League One promotion push while letting Direby's cards fall where they may.

Why should we be dignified about being screwed over by a bunch of piss-takers when we played by the rules?

• Because being dignified is better than being undignified?

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Wendoverman said:
    Unless @glasshalffull wants to go full Swann about it in the media, I feel that train has left the station for us and moaning about it now does us no good and looks a tad undignified. We are better off concentrating on ourselves and maintaining convincing League One promotion push while letting Direby's cards fall where they may.

Why should we be dignified about being screwed over by a bunch of piss-takers when we played by the rules?

Sliding door moments. If Derby had not scored in injury time it wouldn't have mattered, if the referee assistant was busy looking for Coleen in the crowd and spotted Horgan was 5 yards onside it wouldn't have mattered. We were relegated along with one other team who played by the rules.
    I don't have a gripe for us. I do feel for Luton (yikes), Wednesday, Birmingham, Bolton, Bury, Wigan etc who broke the rules and were punished. Their fans have a real right to feel that Wayne Rooney's Derby County™️ get treated differently.

• ". We were relegated along with one other team who played by the rules."

Why do you suppose Sheff Weds started the season on -12 points?