Skip to content

Comments

• Very interesting figures.

• I was actually surprised to see Paris Cowan-Hall so high up the list of top scorers under Ainsworth - doesn't feel like he played enough, but his several spells are probably skewing it in my mind.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I was actually surprised to see Paris Cowan-Hall so high up the list of top scorers under Ainsworth - doesn't feel like he played enough, but his several spells are probably skewing it in my mind.

Same, but he was here for a long time across his various spells.

• I think this is where I respectfully disagree with Tom's statistical approach. There may well be some algorithm that says that Akinfenwa posed our biggest goal threat over the course of the season. But it certainly didn't match with what I was seeing on the pitch week in, week out. Similarly, I'm sure it's true to say he won more aerial duals than other players. But that was because defenders let him, confident that they could deal with the loose ball afterwards.

• edited August 2021

@aloysius said:
    I think this is where I respectfully disagree with Tom's statistical approach. There may well be some algorithm that says that Akinfenwa posed our biggest goal threat over the course of the season. But it certainly didn't match with what I was seeing on the pitch week in, week out. Similarly, I'm sure it's true to say he won more aerial duals than other players. But that was because defenders let him, confident that they could deal with the loose ball afterwards.

I think you're doing Bayo a disservice to say that defenders let him win duels. Some teams defended with a high line so they were contesting them in less threatening areas, but actually backing down and letting him win the ball wouldn't be much difference to letting the ball bounce - i.e. one of those things you absolutely don't do as a defender. Also, if that was really the case, he'd be winning an even higher percentage than he already does.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@aloysius said:
    I think this is where I respectfully disagree with Tom's statistical approach. There may well be some algorithm that says that Akinfenwa posed our biggest goal threat over the course of the season. But it certainly didn't match with what I was seeing on the pitch week in, week out. Similarly, I'm sure it's true to say he won more aerial duals than other players. But that was because defenders let him, confident that they could deal with the loose ball afterwards.

I think you're doing Bayo a disservice to say that defenders let him win duels. Some teams defended with a high line so they were contesting them in less threatening areas, but actually backing down and letting him win the ball wouldn't be much difference to letting the ball bounce - i.e. one of those things you absolutely don't do as a defender. Also, if that was really the case, he'd be winning an even higher percentage than he already does.

So I have a question of the stats. Quite often Bayo has been marked by a player in front and a player behind. If the player in front wins the ball does that count as loss for Bayo?

Disagree with @aloysius . Some sort of bias at play maybe?

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@aloysius said:

So I have a question of the stats. Quite often Bayo has been marked by a player in front and a player behind. If the player in front wins the ball does that count as loss for Bayo?

Disagree with @aloysius . Some sort of bias at play maybe?

Yeah, it would - literally whoever gets to the ball first wins. I guess you could have a situation where a striker out-jumps two defenders sandwiching him like in your example and they both 'lose', but all duels get recorded as 1v1 as far as I know.