Skip to content

Attendance Prediction Game On - Game One - One Week to Go - Accrington Stanley (H) Sat 7th Aug

Finally pulled this contest out of the siding where it has been isolating from Covid for a year. Launching the Attendance Prediction Competition for the League Season I have decided not to make it a Charity Competition this season, but to mark the return of what I hope will be joyful large crowds, I just want to ask that we all watch out for each other in the ground. There may be fans in the ground who have longed to return but have friends or relatives who have shielded from the virus and who at the moment are still needing to be wary.
Every fan matters, as a supporter of our club at a live game and as a person who has a life to live. So no donation required, just give consideration to three pleas:
Watch out for fellow fans who are wanting space and be considerate to them as you can.
Follow any instructions or guidance from the Club.
Vaccines have made it possible for fans to return the ground, the more people are vaccinated the less risk there will be.

So onto the Take Care of Each Other Attendance Competition for the 2021 / 22 Season

Competition Rules [Mostly as before]

All welcome to make an attendance forecast, whether for the season long competition or not. Credit will be given on here for all close predictions and the closest prediction will be the winner of the week. In the event of a tie the winner of the week will be whoever is closest with the Wycombe support, independent of whether we are home or away.

Cut off time for predictions to count will be one hour before KO [as previously].
Each Forecaster will have a score for the game which will be how far away from the actual attendance their prediction was. [As previously]
At the end of the season the competition winner will be the Forecaster who has the best average of their best ten scores [as previously]

One variation - I will publish a leaderboard after most games right from the start of the season For the first twenty games I will increase the number of 'best scores' that will feature in the table every other game. After four games it will be best two scores that count and after six games the best three will count and so on. After 20 games it will always be the best ten which count.

Another variation - ten predictions by Christmas required to continue in the season long competition - makes it much easier to manage the spreadsheet.

Please Enjoy. Apologies to those who will participate in both prediction competitions - it does mean remembering to post on two threads.

Finally and properly starting the competition:

I speculate 5555 for Accrington at Adams Park with 155 away fans.

Comments

• A welcome sight, @railwaysteve!!!

5622 with 166 for me, please!

• 5300 with 107 Stanleys

• I think we are talking 4.500 home, 90 away fans.

• Sorry, meant to include this in my previous, what a great idea.

• Thank you @railwaysteve for running this, its definitely a sight to behold again!

For me 5274 in total with 152 proud Stanlyians

• Great to see this back Steve on so many levels.

Honestly who knows but I’ll go 6317 with 162 doctors (presumably)

• Good to see you back, Steve and I totally agree with your remarks about showing consideration for others and following relevant guidelines.

I’ll go for 5725 including 120 supporting the Stanley.

• I'm game for a laugh, I will go for 5963 with 251 from Accrington

• It's difficult to predict - normally crowds lower due to holiday season vs people keen to watch live football again so I'll go
    4877 with 298 Accy fans

• Great to have this back, thank you.
    5323, 173 accrington

• 5012 with 276 Stanley.

• 5211 with 122 away

• 5,920 with 165 Accy fans.

• This will probably be the hardest one to predict all season. There are the competing factors of (legitimate) concerns over public mixing against the desire to see live competitive football again and could be anywhere from below 4000 to over 6000

I’ll go for the lower end (and hope the queue for beer isn’t too long) and

4183 with 206 from Accrington

And thanks for organising this again @railwaysteve

• As always, trying to discern between my own excitement at being able to go along and reality. I'll try 4683/178

• 5360 with 179 of em from Accy.....

• 4950 with 158 from Accrington

• 4764 with 213 from Accrington

• Six sleeps to go and 18 predictions in the spreadsheet already.
    Welcome back to famous forecasters and welcome to forecasters new.

As @bookertease says - a difficult game to read the entrails for - so far the average
    prediction is 5251 with 170 supporting Accrington, so over 5000 Wycombe fans.

So some historical guidance possibly helpful to those who fancy trying a prediction - last time we played Accrington at home in the League, it was the 9th League One game of the 19 /20 season on Tuesday 17th Sept 2019 - it doesn't seem possible it was less than two years ago, so much has happened. Thirty of us made predictions and the average prediction was 4016 with 73 predicted from Accrington. On that occasion we were somewhat optimistic - the actual crowd was 3566 with 79 from Accrington. Everybody predicted more than actually came.
    For the first game of the 19 /20 Season, Bolton at home on Sat 3rd August 2019, the 42 who forecast were, as a group. pretty spot on with an average prediction of 6430 - the actual attendance was 6454. We anticipated far more (1428) from Bolton that we will expect from Accrington.
    So around 5000 Wycombe fans would be very close to what we had for the opening game two years ago.

• Just to stir things up. I would like to think there is pent up demand for live football both home and away.
    Home 5,512
    Away. 512 (!)
    Total. 6,024

• XXXXXXXXXXXX New Competition XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

King (or Queen) of the Tipsters

Myself and @railwaysteve rather enjoyed working together last year so we have come up with a bolt on to the two competitions that we will run this year.

Both competitions will run as announced. But as an additional prize, we will at the end of the season crown our very first King or Queen of the tipsters. We will add up finishing position in each competition and the person with the lowest score will be crowned king or queen. (so for example finishing first in one and 9th in the other would be beaten by finishing fourth in one and fifth in the other.

No cost and you don't need to do anything but hopefully will keep interest going to end of season even if you are a little behind in one or both. You will need to enter both comps though.

Will you be the first ever Gasroom King (or Queen)?

• A confident ‘no’ from me @DevC.

• edited August 2021

Thanks @railwaysteve for resurrecting this.
    A tricky one to predict. There may be a lingering reluctance to return to AP, particularly amongst some of our older supporters, coupled with the usual effect of fans being on holiday, so I'm going to guess on the low side.
    4190 with 132 Stanleyites.

• I agree @NewburyWanderer

I’d like to amend my previous prediction, please, @railwaysteve. 5000 including 100 ‘Owd Reds.

• 4,345 with 101 away

• 5,132 including 110 away

• 4650 blues and 96 accy’s

• Thanks for doing this again @railwaysteve. I’m going for 4807 in total with 95 in the away end.

• 5132 with 150 Accy fans

• 5237, with 185 from Accy