Skip to content

Feeding at AP

Lots of angst over burgers it seems. As others have said.. Why eat your dinner at a football stadium? Seems good business to me if people cant last two hours without eating, maximise Club revenue.

Comments

• Some fans come from a lot further away, so their day is a lot longer than 2hours.

They could eat elsewhere of course, but for convenience at the game suits.

• It's a massive source of revenue for the club so something they need to get right but pointless getting worried by anything that happens in pre season. At least eyes are on it. Some of the moaners seem to have forgotten we've been served up inedible crap with long queues for most of the last 20 years

• @StrongestTeam said:
    It's a massive source of revenue for the club so something they need to get right but pointless getting worried by anything that happens in pre season. At least eyes are on it. Some of the moaners seem to have forgotten we've been served up inedible crap with long queues for most of the last 20 years

Yeah, but we weren't paying £7 for the previous inedible crap

• That was the trouble, I guess.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@StrongestTeam said:
    It's a massive source of revenue for the club so something they need to get right but pointless getting worried by anything that happens in pre season. At least eyes are on it. Some of the moaners seem to have forgotten we've been served up inedible crap with long queues for most of the last 20 years

Oh, that's ok then ...

Of course if after all the changes its still crap food and chaos you might have a point but I'm sure they think people will be interested in better food without a long queue and be happy to pay a bit more.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@StrongestTeam said:

Oh, that's ok then ...

Of course if after all the changes its still crap food and chaos you might have a point but I'm sure they think people will be interested in better food without a long queue and be happy to pay a bit more.

We'll see if that materialises, but it could hardly have got off to a worse start - especially after they bigged it up so much.

• edited July 2021

Not that I tend to eat at the ground, but others might need to, as @Malone says, and they deserve not to be fleeced. I pulled my burger out of the bag and just laughed. But I'm sure things can only get better...

• Laughed in disbelief I assume?

• @micra said:
    Laughed in disbelief I assume?

At first, but then it got up and did a great stand-up set.

• Pulled it out, laughed, then it got up and did a great stand-up? Disgraceful innuendo @ReturnToSenda !

• @micra said:
    Pulled it out, laughed, then it got up and did a great stand-up? Disgraceful innuendo @ReturnToSenda !

Sorry, I forgot we were a family club.

• Food at football grounds has always been crap, no matter where you go, that's why I never bother. Luckily I can get something down me before I go, or I just go without, raid the fridge when I get home on top of the alcohol, then just feel shit the next morning with a fuzzy head !

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@StrongestTeam said:

Oh, that's ok then ...

We'll see if that materialises, but it could hardly have got off to a worse start - especially after they bigged it up so much.

Oh yeah, total shit show operationally the other night, looked like poor prep and limited coordination. I think Rob said on one of his big addresses that what happens on the pitch and how far they can take the club is dependent on numerous things including luck but if there's no hand towels in the bogs and you can't get a decent burger it's on them.

I've come to night matches after work for years and years sometimes arriving just in time due to work, trains or traffic and although I try to avoid it I have queued all of half time a few times on the back of announced enhanced food or service and had some absolute crud, so poor that it was massively overpriced at the lower price, but the food in the village was getting decent before lockdown so there's hope maybe.

It's a tricky one to get right due to the timings involved but I'd hope it gets a lot better.

• Anyone fancy a pizza?

• Hope the Caribbean food stall will be back/remain? Really enjoyed their offerings.

• edited July 2021

Not all clubs have crappy food.

FGR in particular served up some really tasty fresh food that was excellent value for money.

As a few have said, let’s see what happens when the season starts.

• I've had some magnificent pies at several clubs over the years. Mind you, it shows now.

• Football ground food is generally poor with a few notable exceptions. The Cornish pasties at Bristol Rovers are worth the trip alone, Walsall used to do exceptional balti pies, and I remember Cambridge doing beautiful bacon rolls years ago

• Enjoyed our Tom Kerridge pies and Morecambe's legendary Potts Pies.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Hope the Caribbean food stall will be back/remain? Really enjoyed their offerings.

Funky Elephant are awesome. I asked if they were coming back and said the club had not been in touch so didn’t know if the fan village would be in the same format or if they would be involved.
    They do Risborough farmers market if you are interested

• @micra said:
    Anyone fancy a pizza?

I take it that’s a ‘no’! Nice to know who you are.

• Going back to the pizza idea - there are some decent pop up pizza vans in the area (Knead seems liked by many and is local, personally I thought it was so so), I wonder if there’s scope for other food vans like that could be enticed to the ground and in the car park?

Food sales may not go directly to the club but price for the pitch and local businesses could be supported.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@EwanHoosaami said:
    Hope the Caribbean food stall will be back/remain? Really enjoyed their offerings.

Funky Elephant are awesome. I asked if they were coming back and said the club had not been in touch so didn’t know if the fan village would be in the same format or if they would be involved.

Bit of a journey from Widmer End to go fo just a bit of curried goat, however if I happen to be that way on my bike? What day of the week is the farmers market please?

• @TheDancingYak said:
    Going back to the pizza idea - there are some decent pop up pizza vans in the area (Knead seems liked by many and is local, personally I thought it was so so), I wonder if there’s scope for other food vans like that could be enticed to the ground and in the car park?

Food sales may not go directly to the club but price for the pitch and local businesses could be supported.

I was approached by a friend of a friend last year to help the former owner of a local Italian restaurant to approach the club with a proposal to sell pizzas in the ground. He met members of staff, one of whom had eaten at the restaurant on occasions. I believe the meeting went well but of course the hoped for re-admission of spectators in August didn’t come to fruition.

I wanted to get an idea of what level of interest there might now be but clearly there is very little. Either that or it was inappropriate for me to pop the question in the first place.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@StrongestTeam said:

Oh, that's ok then ...

Oh yeah, total shit show operationally the other night, looked like poor prep and limited coordination. I think Rob said on one of his big addresses that what happens on the pitch and how far they can take the club is dependent on numerous things including luck but if there's no hand towels in the bogs and you can't get a decent burger it's on them.

I've come to night matches after work for years and years sometimes arriving just in time due to work, trains or traffic and although I try to avoid it I have queued all of half time a few times on the back of announced enhanced food or service and had some absolute crud, so poor that it was massively overpriced at the lower price, but the food in the village was getting decent before lockdown so there's hope maybe.

It's a tricky one to get right due to the timings involved but I'd hope it gets a lot better.

They ran out of hand towels at half time too.

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

Bit of a journey from Widmer End to go fo just a bit of curried goat, however if I happen to be that way on my bike? What day of the week is the farmers market please?

I follow them on Instagram and they announce where and when they are set up regularly. They have some regular ones that work for me. Their curry goat is worth a journey and I sincerely hope they come back to AP

• @micra said:

@TheDancingYak said:
    Going back to the pizza idea - there are some decent pop up pizza vans in the area (Knead seems liked by many and is local, personally I thought it was so so), I wonder if there’s scope for other food vans like that could be enticed to the ground and in the car park?

I was approached by a friend of a friend last year to help the former owner of a local Italian restaurant to approach the club with a proposal to sell pizzas in the ground. He met members of staff, one of whom had eaten at the restaurant on occasions. I believe the meeting went well but of course the hoped for re-admission of spectators in August didn’t come to fruition.

I wanted to get an idea of what level of interest there might now be but clearly there is very little. Either that or it was inappropriate for me to pop the question in the first place.

Might just be me but I assumed your question about the pizzas was a quirky one asking if anyone fancied going halves on a Dominos order with you, @micra. If it's a serious question, I think I'm as unlikely to fancy a pizza at the ground as I am anything else, which is very - I tend to be in the eat-when-you-get-home camp.

• @micra said:

@TheDancingYak said:

Friend of a friend....you...former owner...a current owner..the club..this sounds a very complicated set of arrangements here!

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

I follow them on Instagram and they announce where and when they are set up regularly. They have some regular ones that work for me. Their curry goat is worth a journey and I sincerely hope they come back to AP

Not on any Instagram thingy mate, but will get my daughter to show me what to do, as she appears to be on everything all the time! Thanks for the info.