Skip to content

First Game, First 11

Comments

• @eric_plant said:
    I don't know why anyone would leave McLeary out either. He's going to be am absolute star in league 1. He's far too good for that level

Spot on. I was shocked we kept him!

• edited July 2021

I think JJ has been excellent in a back three...given him a new lease of life . Also agree with @eric_plant about McLeary he may not finish every game but he deserves to start every one...he was excellent on Wednesday. Horgan can come on later and score the winner. Having said that I am confident in whoever is picked. The really big issue for me is going to be how we utilise Vokes I think.

• Can't see Vokes starting 1st game as he is yet to be fully "Wycomised".

• I think we will start with….

Stockdale

Grimmer / Stewart / Jacobson

McCarthy / Scowen / Bloomfield / Freeman

Kaikai / Bayo / McCleary

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Can't see Vokes starting 1st game as he is yet to be fully "Wycomised".

+1. I can see him starting on the bench and coming on for the last 30 mins. Has he featured in any preseason games?

• To the best of my admittedly very limited knowledge, no.

• edited July 2021

In fairness, the challenge was set "assuming everyone is fit" ;)

But yeah, Vokes will probably be on the bench.

• If Bayo is as sharp as he looked for the first 45 next week, I have no problems with Sam and Kashket coming on later to mop things up! :smile:

• edited July 2021

How exciting are all these permutations!

Good job we have a cup game midweek in the first week, so we can get loads of other players a start early season.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    In fairness, the challenge was set "assuming everyone is fit" ;)

But yeah, Vokes will probably be on the bench.

Good shout!!

Revised ?

Stockdale

Grimmer / Stewart / Tafazolli

McCarthy / Scowen / Thompson / Obita

McCleary / Vokes / Horgan

• Stockdale GK
    McCarthy RWB
    Tafazoli RCB
    Stewart CB
    JJ LCB
    Obita LWB
    Thompson CM
    Scowen CM
    McCleary CAM
    Horgan ST
    Vokes ST

That would be my starting 11 for first game, I think Horgan could be really good playing up top doing all the running for the big man. Alternatively would be happy to see Kashket or Kaikai there.

• @DPR38 said:
    Stockdale GK
    McCarthy RWB
    Tafazoli RCB
    Stewart CB
    JJ LCB
    Obita LWB
    Thompson CM
    Scowen CM
    McCleary CAM
    Horgan ST
    Vokes ST

That would be my starting 11 for first game, I think Horgan could be really good playing up top doing all the running for the big man. Alternatively would be happy to see Kashket or Kaikai there.

Left-footed Taf on the right of the back three?

• @Shev said:

@eric_plant said:
    I don't know why anyone would leave McLeary out either. He's going to be am absolute star in league 1. He's far too good for that level

Spot on. I was shocked we kept him!

Quiet!! The transfer window is still empty

• Empty? I obviously meant ‘open’.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@DPR38 said:
    Stockdale GK
    McCarthy RWB
    Tafazoli RCB
    Stewart CB
    JJ LCB
    Obita LWB
    Thompson CM
    Scowen CM
    McCleary CAM
    Horgan ST
    Vokes ST

Ah my bad, for some reason thought he’d played on the right side of it. Swap him and Stewart round then.

• @DPR38 said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@DPR38 said:
    Stockdale GK
    McCarthy RWB
    Tafazoli RCB
    Stewart CB
    JJ LCB
    Obita LWB
    Thompson CM
    Scowen CM
    McCleary CAM
    Horgan ST
    Vokes ST

Ah my bad, for some reason thought he’d played on the right side of it. Swap him and Stewart round then.

Thought you might have devised some kind of obscure tactical masterplan, wasn't sure!

• Out of interest - anybody else’s phone try to predictive text out goalkeepers name to Stocktake ?! ALL THE BLOODY TIME!

• @username123 said:
    Out of interest - anybody else’s phone try to predictive text out goalkeepers name to Stocktake ?! ALL THE BLOODY TIME!

Mine does Stockade

• @Chris said:
    Something like this:

Stockdale

Stewart, Tafazolli, Jacobson

McCarthy, Scowen, Thompson, Obita

McCleary

Vokes, Kaikai

Yeah, I think this too @Chris

• I’m of the thinking that Grimmer misses out at the back when everyone is fit and Scowen is not a guaranteed starter in the central midfield two. What a wonderful position to find ourselves in!

• @Alexo said:

@Chris said:
    Something like this:

Stockdale

Stewart, Tafazolli, Jacobson

McCarthy, Scowen, Thompson, Obita

McCleary

Vokes, Kaikai

Yeah, I think this too @Chris

Looks a good team to me. Cannot wait for the season to start.

• @YorkExile said:
    I’m of the thinking that Grimmer misses out at the back when everyone is fit and Scowen is not a guaranteed starter in the central midfield two. What a wonderful position to find ourselves in!

It looks like Gape might struggle to get a regular game, unless we change to a triple hard working centre mid for some games.

Grimmer will be unlucky to miss out if we do play the wing back system, but such is the quality we have now.

• Grimmer was first choice RCB even with Stewart and Knight both fit last season, and Scowen is the closest thing to a box-to-box midfielder we have - so he effectively succeeds Adeniran.

• It'll certainly be interesting how it pans out.

Each of the options have their distinct strengths, you'd want Tafa and Stewart for their aerial ability, JJ for his delivery etc. Grimmer is a quality right back for league 1, and McCarthy certainly is as an attacking right back. Obita the only natural left wing back too.

Roll on Saturday!

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Grimmer was first choice RCB even with Stewart and Knight both fit last season, and Scowen is the closest thing to a box-to-box midfielder we have - so he effectively succeeds Adeniran.

I’m not sure the majority of our defensive options were available at the same time particularly often last season, but didn’t Knight move into midfield when they were? I just believe that we will more often than not prefer to go with more than one central defender who is dominant in the air. It adds massive value at both ends of the pitch. They’ve both shown that they can be pretty decent on the ball as well, to be fair. I’m actually quite shocked some people aren’t including Stewart in their expected starting XI.

As for Scowen, I see him as quite a different footballer to Adeniran. He’s also had 18 months or so struggling for form. It will be interesting to see which way GA goes in that department. There’s always room for a surprise… I seem to recall Thompson didn’t even make it into certain season previews around this time last year!

• edited August 2021

Interesting that Gaz said one player had an op and will probably miss the first 2/3 games. I'm inclined to think it's Gape as didn't he injure the same thing more than once last season? Although equally I don't recall seeing Thompson kitted up in any pre-season again. Then again, he did also say everyone will have played 90 minutes before the start of the season.

• I thought that Gape was doing early/extra work at the training ground, so I suspect the op was Thompson.

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    I thought that Gape was doing early/extra work at the training ground, so I suspect the op was Thompson.

Fingers crossed whoever it is

• Thomo was out on the grass warming up with the squad pre Leicester. No sign of Gape, didn’t get anywhere near previous seasons last year. Not sure he would get anywhere near the starting line up at the moment anyway.

• edited August 2021

@YorkExile said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Grimmer was first choice RCB even with Stewart and Knight both fit last season, and Scowen is the closest thing to a box-to-box midfielder we have - so he effectively succeeds Adeniran.

I’m not sure the majority of our defensive options were available at the same time particularly often last season, but didn’t Knight move into midfield when they were? I just believe that we will more often than not prefer to go with more than one central defender who is dominant in the air. It adds massive value at both ends of the pitch. They’ve both shown that they can be pretty decent on the ball as well, to be fair. I’m actually quite shocked some people aren’t including Stewart in their expected starting XI.

As for Scowen, I see him as quite a different footballer to Adeniran. He’s also had 18 months or so struggling for form. It will be interesting to see which way GA goes in that department. There’s always room for a surprise… I seem to recall Thompson didn’t even make it into certain season previews around this time last year!

I take that back - didn't realise Tafazolli was injured for most of the run-in, so it tended to be Grimmer and Stewart. Grimmer is better on the ball than Stewart, though - naturally - and that's what you want in that outside centre-back position, although you make a good point about aerial dominance. Interesting to see how Gaz plays it and how much he tailors his choice based on the striker/s we're up against. I'm just a big fan of full-backs in those outside spots as they bring a lot of advantages to the role.

Yeah, Scowen is different to Adeniran, but he's the closest we've got in terms of style and is more cut out for that box-to-box role - which you want in this system to aid ball progression - than Gape and Thompson, and you want the latter deeper where he's best anyway. He'll also be very useful in the press and I'd expect to see him push up with McCleary/Mehmeti dropping then swapping back straight after the turnover.

Indeed there is always room for a surprise...