Skip to content

Sam Vokes Signs

Confirmed on the pitch

Comments

• Confirmed. Great signing.

• Yeah he’s a wanderer.

• Excellent news!

• How long for is the key question.
    But for now, that is some impressive work!

• wow ...what an amazing signing !! Well done GA and team

• Fantastic stuff! We are looking strong!

• edited July 2021

Just how much his wages will break the bank is snagging at the back of my mind, though he has the potential to be a massive player for us. He's the highest profile signing we've made for a good long while (since Super Simon Garner and Cyrille Regis maybe?)

• @ReadingMarginalista said:
    Just how much his wages will break the bank is snagging at the back of my mind, though he has the potential to be a massive player for us. He's the highest profile signing we've made for a good long while (since Super Simon Garnet and Cyrille Regis maybe?)

He's probably trousers 400-500k as a pay off from Stoke, and could just be happy to play after a couple of less than great seasons.

• Bayo surely.

• Maybe 10k a week? Over the years contract still leaves over .5m left over from Ikpeazu.... surely we wouldn't be paying more than that.

• 1 year deal with the option of a 2nd year apparently.

• @DevC said:
    Bayo surely.

Highest profile by celebrity status but not on football rep.

• I would be amazed and horrified if we were paying anything like £10k per week - £2k tops.

• Who knows? I'd happily hedge a bet that we are paying nothing, perhaps with an option to buy. For Vokes, he's picking up his 30k from Stoke and puts himself in the shop window. No brainer allround.

• Can't say I know anything about him - I watch very little football - but this video suggests he may be a good fit for Gareth's preferred style.

• Pendlebury looking sharp I think and lovely to see Josh back in the middle

• Been impressed with Kaikai when he’s had the ball at his feet too

• Pendlebury looks like another masterstroke by GA.... Freeman playing the Fred role and looking superb at it.

• We have so many great players now! Loving life.

• What else do we need now in the squad?

Random quick kid on loan from Premier league?

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    What else do we need now in the squad?

Random quick kid on loan from Premier league?

In practice, we can sign one more player who is over 21 or a loanee and then we would have the maximum amount of players allowed in our squad. Possibly a young CAM or a young left sided player?

• Yes. I'm liking that a number of our signings are under 21 and thus eligible for the development thing but might be near-ready for first team.

Here's a nice Sky Sports interview with Vokes at AP before the game:

• I may have missed this, so apologies if it did get on the radar - but was Sam Vokes not spotted at Cressex prior to this signing? If not, the Gasroom spy network really needs to up its game.

• @PBo said:
    I may have missed this, so apologies if it did get on the radar - but was Sam Vokes not spotted at Cressex prior to this signing? If not, the Gasroom spy network really needs to up its game.

For his secret unveiling he tried to enter the ground in slow moving traffic in his car with personalized registration plates wearing Wycombe training gear. Not sure we need much of a spy network if this continues.

• I do wonder if this was factored into allowing Uche to leave. If Vokes was a long-term target as suggested i guess early conversations may have indicated that a deal was possible and Uche moving on may well have helped oil the wheels

• 2012/2013 Championship (Burnley)
    Appearances: 53 Goals: 5

2013/2014 Championship (Burnley)
    Appearances: 50 Goals: 22

2014/2015 Premier League (Burnley)
    Appearances: 19 Goals: 1

2015/2016 Championship (Burnley)
    Appearances: 57 Goals: 17

2016/2017 Premier League (Burnley)
    Appearances: 49 Goals: 13

2017/2018 Premier League (Burnley)
    Appearances: 39 Goals: 6

2018/2019 Premier League (Burnley)/ Championship (Stoke)
    Appearances: 44 Goals: 8

2019/2020 Championship (Stoke)
    Appearances: 41 Goals: 8

2020/2021 Championship (Stoke)
    Appearances: 34 Goals: 1

Total Appearances: 386 Total Goals: 81
    Games to goals: 4.76

Quiz question….. How many other players have Wycombe signed that have scored more goals in the English top division/international or English second division/international?

Personally I think statistically this is a fantastic signing as that’s a very good return for a target man. To sign him on an initial one-year deal – with the option of a second year, protects the club completely. He’s a great age and there is no reason why he can’t be with us for 5 years if he looks after himself, look at Bayo as an example of this. Weirdly, this strikes me as a similar signing to Nathan Tyson in 2017, someone who may have fallen out of love with the game but can rediscover his form with a more positive set of players and staff.

This will perhaps be an interesting stage of the Gaz/Dobbo transfer strategy as for perhaps the first time we can compete for players with a far greater reputation.

• Obvious to say this is our biggest signing ever. I doubt if the fee is a record but pretty confident the wages are.
    Still a classic Gaz signing. Unloved. Something to prove. Off the radar. (Hopefully) wanting to show a response to someone taking a chance on him and making him feel loved.

• Have seen some say Cyrille Regis was bigger. Anyone old enough to remember agree? To me, given stage of career, this seems quite a bit bigger.

• Huge signing for the club and shows our intent on getting back to the Championship. Gareth says he was impressed with the trialists. What scope do we have to sign more players?

• Cyrille was a marquee signing but think he was 36 so not quite as much left in the tank as big Sam