Skip to content

Summer transfer thread

Comments

• @StrongestTeam said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    O'Rourke tweeting it is usually a tell-tale sign ? Obviously it could still fall through, but I think there's substance to this.

Let's just hope the "talks" aren't "I'd like £x per week"
    followed by the sound of people spitting out tea .

"You must have loads of money from your year in the championship"

• @Malone said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    O'Rourke tweeting it is usually a tell-tale sign ? Obviously it could still fall through, but I think there's substance to this.

Let's just hope the "talks" aren't "I'd like £x per week"
    followed by the sound of people spitting out tea .

"You must have loads of money from your year in the championship"

Yeah, especially as Rob didn't open his chequebook in January.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    @prufrock_91 Out of interest, who are the three? Southwell must be one, and presumably that's not including loanees?

Freeman?

• @mooneyman said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    @prufrock_91 Out of interest, who are the three? Southwell must be one, and presumably that's not including loanees?

Freeman?

Did Freeman come with any great expectation? It's never quite stuck for him, but I don't think he can be seen as a failure.

• That's tremendously harsh on Freeman. We signed him from non-league, and while he's not set the world alight, he's had moments and we've given him a platform to hopefully have a good career perhaps in League 2.

One more on Uche. It'll be interesting to see how consistent he can be. I know the club did a huge amount to make him feel like the most important player on the pitch, to really make him want to take on the world. Warnock is known to be a class man-manager too, so perhaps will still get the best of him. You do feel that with one little dent his confidence could tumble.

• @prufrock_91 said:
    You do feel that with one little dent his confidence could tumble.

I don't, his main issue is shaking off injuries, if he does that he'll have a good career, although I'm not seeing Lewandowski as above. If he gets knocks and misses games he'll have to be replaced and might struggle to get back in.

• I think he'll have a very good season. Can't think of a team better at crossing than Boro were last season, terrifying every time one of the wingers bombed forward.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@mooneyman said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Freeman?

Did Freeman come with any great expectation? It's never quite stuck for him, but I don't think he can be seen as a failure.

From my point of view he did show a fair degree of talent in his early games, but then for some reason didn't push on and probably regressed. He ended the season struggling to even get in the starting eleven at Orient. It may just be that he is not suited to a pressing type of style.

• @mooneyman said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@mooneyman said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Freeman?

From my point of view he did show a fair degree of talent in his early games, but then for some reason didn't push on and probably regressed. He ended the season struggling to even get in the starting eleven at Orient. It may just be that he is not suited to a pressing type of style.

It's easy to get eased out of contention, if it's not going for you a bit of trust and a run in the team are probably needed but quite rightly you won't get it if others are available and playing better. I wouldn't be surprised if he left , or if he came good again and agree it's harsh to suggest his time here is a failure, can't imagine he's troubling the list of high earners.

• @drcongo said:
    I think he'll have a very good season. Can't think of a team better at crossing than Boro were last season, terrifying every time one of the wingers bombed forward.

I hope Uche has a good season and builds on his 20 something Championship games for us.
    But to talk him getting on the end of crosses is not going to happen. Did he score more than one header for us? And not including the own goal
    He's so dangerous with the ball at his feet and a tradional target man to help Bayo will be a big boost for us. Fingers crossed

• Expectations for Uche, Fred and Admiral at their new clubs will be far higher than it was when they joined us, it will be interesting to see how they handle the pressure at 'bigger' and more demanding clubs. Good luck to them.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Uche's got all the tools to be a top player at that level. Obviously not at the same standard, but his game reminds me so much of Lewandowski's.

I have to say that last sentence is one I don’t think I’d ever have contemplated reading in the gasroom.

• edited July 2021

@kiscokid said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Uche's got all the tools to be a top player at that level. Obviously not at the same standard, but his game reminds me so much of Lewandowski's.

I have to say that last sentence is one I don’t think I’d ever have contemplated reading in the gasroom.

I mean, he is pretty similar in terms of style...

• @kiscokid said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Agreed its a very strange comparison, cant see the likeness in styles myself !!

• edited July 2021

I'm thinking of his dropping deep, physicality in taking players on, use of the ball in wide areas, and ability to stop the ball dead and unleash an absolutely pinpoint drive into the top corner. Admittedly not the natural, ruthless poacher Lewa is at heart, but few are! There are also notable differences - lack of aerial ability for starters.

• Yeah, that's a big call based on Uche grabbing a couple of worldies.

• Again, style not ability, but fair enough if people don't see it. I was just having this discussion with someone yesterday, so there are at least two of us thinking it!

• More like Paolo Wanchope for me

• edited July 2021

I'm too young for that to mean anything to me! Not a clue other than the name ?‍♂️

• The goals he scores where he cuts in a curls a shot into the opposite corner are pure Cyrille Regis for me.

Similar sized thighs as well

• @kiscokid said:
    More like Paolo Wanchope for me

That is a comparison I can agree with.

• Sam Vokes to Wycombe even being reported on the BBC gossip column..... I have no idea how to share the link

• I remember being quite impressed at signong Michael Duberry.

• So many vokes rumours, you wonder if its happening. Maybe a classic reveal tomorrow?

• Wanchope is about right, unpredictable, scored a few great goals and seemingly a much better scoring record than I remember

• @bigred87 said:
    Sam Vokes to Wycombe even being reported on the BBC gossip column..... I have no idea how to share the link

It's the same story, they're quoting the link someone else put above

• Re: Vokes. Much as I’d like him to sign, we usually keep our signings pretty private until they happen. Cynic in me thinks that Vokes team could be testing the waters finally before ‘making do’ with us

• @leeronhagg said:
    Re: Vokes. Much as I’d like him to sign, we usually keep our signings pretty private until they happen. Cynic in me thinks that Vokes team could be testing the waters finally before ‘making do’ with us

We do, although that's harder to do when dealing with bigger names and bigger clubs. Uche, Taf and Stocko deals all got reported (whether interest in them or more) before they happened.

• I’ve spent a year trying to remember who Uche reminds me of, and @kiskokid comes along and nails it.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    I’ve spent a year trying to remember who Uche reminds me of, and @kiskokid comes along and nails it.

He well and truly has...