Skip to content

Summer transfer thread

Comments

• @thedieharder said:
    Vokes would defo be a great signing for us in L1. Hes obviously has had a great career generally and would be happy to see him in the quarters. Only problem is I dont know if we can see him as a 'long term replacement' for Uche, but definitely a good signing otherwise.

Yeah, but we only had 6 months of Uche and look how long Bayo and various others play on to these days

• He wouldn't be Uche's long-term successor, but he'd be a more than adequate stopgap for a year or two. You never know how Linton might come along anyway - sounded like they had very hopes for him when he first came in, then he was unfortunate to have his loan spell cut short cause of Covid.

• Exactly my thoughts Tom. How exciting would it be if our ‘next Uche’ comes from our development set up. Someone who has been nurtured by Sam, Gaz and Dobbo.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Slightly off topic, but this is absolutely sensational content from Newport.

Just lol.

Good to see Ellison still keeping the dream alive!

• edited July 2021

O'Rourke tweeting it is usually a tell-tale sign ? Obviously it could still fall through, but I think there's substance to this.

• I don't even know how to feel - peak Vokes tore up the Championship and was respectable for a low-scoring plucky PL side. But the last three seasons he has not done much. A very tough one to call.

• The general feeling on the Stoke board is predictable but one comment stood out, something along the lines of ‘he is great as part of a front 2. We played him up top on his own. With long balls and decent crosses into the box he would be a quality striker’.

We have a number of players who can pinpoint a pass, or whip a decent cross into the box. You can’t expect a striker to score loads of goals if there isn’t anybody providing them.

• Not to mention the fact Championship to League One is a considerable drop-off!

• Good clarification, @Gary and @ReturnToSenda - definitely a little more excited now. We even made the BBC gossip column, normally reserved for PL and Euro clubs.

I shall be looking forward to waking up to a 'Vokes signs' thread in the near future...

• @Shev said:
    Good clarification, @Gary and @ReturnToSenda - definitely a little more excited now. We even made the BBC gossip column, normally reserved for PL and Euro clubs.

I shall be looking forward to waking up to a 'Vokes signs' thread in the near future...

So we have! This is the moment we officially cease to be little old Wycombe.

• Also saw an article from a Stoke regional online paper about their other players who are unlikely to be involved pre season by Michael O'Neill - thoughts on Lee Gregory at this level anyone?

• IF this does happen, it could end up being the same as Bayo, being written off by everyone but ends up being a success and our new talisman

• Vokes would be a tremendous signing, both for him and for Wycombe. As I said with Ibe, we’re exactly the kind of club to give him a good platform for a fresh start, with the added bonus that he’s the kind of player we need leading the line.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    O'Rourke tweeting it is usually a tell-tale sign ? Obviously it could still fall through, but I think there's substance to this.

Let's just hope the "talks" aren't "I'd like £x per week"
    followed by the sound of people spitting out tea .

• @HolmerBlue said:
    IF this does happen, it could end up being the same as Bayo, being written off by everyone but ends up being a success and our new talisman

Written off by everyone? I think most people were pretty excited, while some had reservations and a very few thought it was a gimmick.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:

@HolmerBlue said:
    IF this does happen, it could end up being the same as Bayo, being written off by everyone but ends up being a success and our new talisman

Written off by everyone? I think most people were pretty excited, while some had reservations and a very few thought it was a gimmick.

Lots of people have admitted to the latter on here

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:

@HolmerBlue said:

I actually did the post on here when it was announced Bayo signed, I’ve just had a flick through some of the comments on there, quite amusing to see 5 years on knowing how everything has turned out hahaha.

• I actually didn't mean written off by us, although I'll hold my hands up and thought it was a bit of a gimmick... meant written off by pretty much all other clubs fans

• Vokes would be a great signing given the situation. You can't really believe anyone expected we'd lose Uche. A player who hadn't really pulled up trees in England or even Scotland before, and he's been taken on by Boro on the back of a good few months, after an injury and illness plagued start to the season.

We're clearly in a situation where we have money, but not enough money to get a top striker, especially given goalscorers are always the priciest players going.

I can only think of perhaps 3 Ainsworth singings that haven't really come off, so am more than prepared to think Vokes is a brilliant option for us.

• @prufrock_91 Out of interest, who are the three? Southwell must be one, and presumably that's not including loanees?

• Let’s also remember Stoke are utter garbage - a team ravaged by poor management and grand delusions. Vokes is a hard working grafter who is an utter handful in the air - he’ll instantly feel good and be well supported and I’m sure put the Stoke debacle behind him. Also don’t be fooled by the 30 appearances 0 goals from last season as most were short cameos off the bench.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    @prufrock_91 Out of interest, who are the three? Southwell must be one, and presumably that's not including loanees?

Southwell is the standout. Unlucky on him as we signed him on the wave of 'Vardy came from non-league so there must be loads of rough diamonds there', and then he never looked strong enough.

Jason Banton is another, and at a push, you could argue about Myles Weston as he showed glimpses but then lost interest. As I say, 'perhaps' 3 ha.

• Vokes hold up play, and awareness bring far more to a team than Uche's individual talents.
    I expect Uche to be surplus to Boro requirements by the end of the season.

• @prufrock_91 said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    @prufrock_91 Out of interest, who are the three? Southwell must be one, and presumably that's not including loanees?

Southwell is the standout. Unlucky on him as we signed him on the wave of 'Vardy came from non-league so there must be loads of rough diamonds there', and then he never looked strong enough.

Jason Banton is another, and at a push, you could argue about Myles Weston as he showed glimpses but then lost interest. As I say, 'perhaps' 3 ha.

Weston will always be a legend for that cross!

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@prufrock_91 said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Weston will always be a legend for that cross!

Which one? V Wycombe for Sarfend or v Spurs?

• @ChasHarps said:
    Vokes hold up play, and awareness bring far more to a team than Uche's individual talents.
    I expect Uche to be surplus to Boro requirements by the end of the season.

Uche surplus at Boro ? he has started pre season brilliantly and he will be a huge success there.

• Pre seasons are not a fantastic gauge, I'm afraid.
    Let's see how he gets on, but I'm not one of those that have gone hyperbowl over a few cracking goals by Uche.

• Uche's got all the tools to be a top player at that level. Obviously not at the same standard, but his game reminds me so much of Lewandowski's.

• @ChasHarps said:
    Pre seasons are not a fantastic gauge, I'm afraid.
    Let's see how he gets on, but I'm not one of those that have gone hyperbowl over a few cracking goals by Uche.

I remember one pre-season thinking that that Steve Dell looks a good player.

• @TwinBrother said:

@ChasHarps said:
    Pre seasons are not a fantastic gauge, I'm afraid.

I remember one pre-season thinking that that Steve Dell looks a good player.

After a terrible previous season I remember John Sutton pre season at Wimbledon destroying them. Week later he was banished to the SPL (where he scored for fun)!