Skip to content

Comments

• And to think it was Wycombe who were cashless just a couple of seasons ago...

• So sending the kids off to get crisps and drink needs you to give them your debit card. Wonder if the club can do a deal to make branded pre-paid cards available so you can give them a card with say £20 on so if lost you’re not overly worried and have to cancel your card in the middle of a match.

• I don't think this is a great idea, not only kids, but especially the older generation would probably prefer to be able to use cash

• That's a good point. I'm such a relatively old git now that I'd totally forgotten there was a time when I didn't have a card.

• @carrickblue said:
    So sending the kids off to get crisps and drink needs you to give them your debit card. Wonder if the club can do a deal to make branded pre-paid cards available so you can give them a card with say £20 on so if lost you’re not overly worried and have to cancel your card in the middle of a match.

Think you can buy the stuff yourself on the app, not sure if they'll need to bring the card or just give an order number to collect. Hopefully the latter.

• Not keen on this, but seems to be the way most places are going.

So much so, that I often ask if cash is accepted, rather than whether they take card!

Same reason as hating the idea of a phone being needed for entry etc.
    Cash etc is infallible, tech isn't.

• Convenience will always win. Whether that's always good a thing, well... Although in this instance I think it is.

• There was I looking forward to Freedom Day when I would not have to download a ****ing app every where I went to buy a pint! :smile:

• I don’t like cashless systems because they exclude people who can’t or won’t use cards or apps.

• How many people don't have access to a debit card in 2021?

People have had 35 years to get acquainted with them.

• @OxfordBlue said:
    How many people don't have access to a debit card in 2021?

People have had 35 years to get acquainted with them.

My parents will both never use one.
    Luckily they won't come to a Wycombe game.

I dare say there will be many in that generation who will simply just not buy anything anymore as a protest.

I mean it wasn't that long ago a bunch of the vocal "yoof" had some gripe with something in the ground and did all their beering at the Hour Glass instead,

• 4.7% of the UK don't even have a bank account.

• Spurs are cashless too.

• I mean I'm OK, and I prefer it for myself, but in general I think it's a pretty poor decision that will alienate people

• It'll be fine, until the moment the wi-fi goes down and people remember there's no 3G signal at the ground, let alone 4G...

• @aloysius said:
    It'll be fine, until the moment the wi-fi goes down and people remember there's no 3G signal at the ground, let alone 4G...

Exactly the point I was thinking. The fewer payment options there are the fewer payments that will be made.

• I was at the ground today cleaning chairs and there’s an app thingy with one of those black and white squares on a sticker on every other chair hope that helps

• @MorrisItal_ said:
    I was at the ground today cleaning chairs and there’s an app thingy with one of those black and white squares on a sticker on every other chair hope that helps

A QR code?

• Does it ping if you've brought your own food and drink?

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@MorrisItal_ said:
    I was at the ground today cleaning chairs and there’s an app thingy with one of those black and white squares on a sticker on every other chair hope that helps

A QR code?

That's the one.

I was there, too, @MorrisItal_. Shame I didn't have the chance to identify you and say hello. Really enjoyed the day, spent largely in the cheerful company of @EwanHoosaami and a very agreeable, (comparatively) young lady named after a Blake's 7 character. Got a fair amount done, didn't we, and was glad to feel as though one had played one's part in some way. Drummer Tom was there, too - a fine, cheerful young man, he is.

Aching like buggery now, however.

• I'd sign up for a membership card, that you could load £20 on and take it to the tills to pay for stuff. I think it will be needed to send the kids off to get packets of crisps etc, etc.
    Not sure this is the greatest idea in the world. Away fans will need to be informed when they buy a ticket and reminded.
    I think Lynn may do a roaring trade!

• I’d say it’s far more likely that people will have an electronic payment method on them than any cash.

I know there are a percentage of people who don’t have a cashless payment method, though I suspect that many of them have probably been priced out of ‘the working man’s game’.

My main concern would be the usability of the app / website. There are some really good ones but also some utterly appalling ones too.

Unless I’ve missed it, I’m not sure if payment is being taken ‘in-app’ or when you pick the crisps up?

Do we need an Adams Park user guide?

• @Commoner said:
    I'd sign up for a membership card, that you could load £20 on and take it to the tills to pay for stuff. I think it will be needed to send the kids off to get packets of crisps etc, etc.
    Not sure this is the greatest idea in the world. Away fans will need to be informed when they buy a ticket and reminded.
    I think Lynn may do a roaring trade!

Contactless and QR have been given a massive boost by covid. Lots of places now not accepting cash. Pre pay cards are probably a good idea for those that don't have plastic already. Think there's a kid's one doing the rounds where you can block or approve their spends as they come through.

• It will make all the queues so much quicker. Or at least it should.

If that means annoying a handful of people that still want to use cash I’m ok with that.

Willing to be proved wrong but I suspect if you were to really plead you’d still be able to pay cash, they just don’t want that advertised.

• I took my Tranmere supporting nephew to the cup replay a couple of years back. He'd come straight from work and was starving and neither of us had any cash. He was surprised that cards weren't accepted as Tranmere had been cash free for quite a while at that point.

• The country has basically been cashless for the last 16 months anyway

• edited July 2021

Quite a lot of opposition to this on Twitter, but I'm not sure it's something the club will be able to back down on as easily as other changes.

• @HCblue said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@MorrisItal_ said:

A QR code?

That's the one.

I was there, too, @MorrisItal_. Shame I didn't have the chance to identify you and say hello. Really enjoyed the day, spent largely in the cheerful company of @EwanHoosaami and a very agreeable, (comparatively) young lady named after a Blake's 7 character. Got a fair amount done, didn't we, and was glad to feel as though one had played one's part in some way. Drummer Tom was there, too - a fine, cheerful young man, he is.

I thought there might be Gasroomers there but I thought me introducing myself as a Morris Ital might have left me in a team of one. I loved Blakes 7 was the young lady Cally or Servalan.
    Didn’t the pitch look amazing.

• @MorrisItal_ said:

@HCblue said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@MorrisItal_ said:

A QR code?

That's the one.

I thought there might be Gasroomers there but I thought me introducing myself as a Morris Ital might have left me in a team of one. I loved Blakes 7 was the young lady Cally or Servalan.
    Didn’t the pitch look amazing.

Jenna. Servalan would have been a bold call! I loved the show, too. A friend at school got us each an envelope from the BBC stuffed with photos and bios of the cast and synopses of the episodes. Happy days! Reckon I could still name the cast.

The pitch looks absolutely amazing - picture perfect.

• For a club that promotes being “inclusive” in its mission statement, becoming cashless is doing the opposite. Ok, the regulars will probably put up with it - some may prefer it. But for those occasional fans it will be a ball-ache, and along with £10 parking etc etc will be another reason not to bother. A strange decision given that the majority of our support tends to be over 60 or under 18. Did the Trust agree to this?