Skip to content

Summer transfer thread

Comments

• @thecatwwfc said:
    Aaron Amadi-Holloway has gone to Burton.

With Parker and Holloway "up top" they will be fine......

Holloway was.a beast...would.of loved to have signed him !

• @ReturnToSenda I know nothing of George Hirst and can't comment, but would only say that in his spell on loan at Swindon in the fourth division, Admiral Muskwe scored no goals and was only considered good enough for 5 starts. By the time he finished his loan with us a year later, we were all convinced he was good enough for the Championship, as unfortunately, was Nathan Jones.

• edited July 2021

@our_frank That's true, but Hirst made 31 Championship appearances with little impact, and consensus seems to be he's not really cut out for the level. Then again, maybe he's just been playing too high too early. And I absolutely loathe the expression, but he does have good feet for a big man.

• That's a shame, his Dad was a great player coming through at same time as Shearer until Steve Bould gave him a kicking.

• edited July 2021

@StrongestTeam said:
    That's a shame, his Dad was a great player coming through at same time as Shearer until Steve Bould gave him a kicking.

Used to hold the record (maybe still does?) for the fastest Premier League shot

• It does look a like a loan move to League One might be the best option for George Hirst. Perhaps Rotherham will be keen to have him back. If not, it might be a good option for us - Gareth does like taking players with a point to prove and potential for a redemption story arc - but as I was saying yesterday, we can't rely solely on a target man who has so far failed to deliver at adult level.

• edited July 2021

@ReturnToSenda said:

@StrongestTeam said:
    That's a shame, his Dad was a great player coming through at same time as Shearer until Steve Bould gave him a kicking.

Used to hold the record (maybe still does?) for the fastest Premier League shot

Ha, didn't know that was a thing, he was linked with United around the same time as Shearer was before they took an odd cheap punt on a grumpy Frenchman at Leeds, can't imagine that went well.
    That got me looking up a famous false dawn England game at home to France, Feb 92 , Hirst, Shearer, LeTissier and Rob Jones who'd been flying at Liverpool all first squads I believe. Of course by the 92 Euros all of these had been sidelined or were injured and we were awful, descending into not qualifying for 94. That France game is best remembered for Geoff Thomas then of palace, now of great cancer related cycling fundraising having a shot from about 35 yards that went out for a corner.

• @StrongestTeam I don't think it's an official record, but he comes up on lists of fastest recorded shots in general. 114 mph apparently.

• If we set up as we did towards the end of the season I fancy kashket to get well into double figures.

• Where’s Vokes going to end up. He’s a big unit. Also Sturridge could make an impact ….

• No idea what sort of of money he’d want, but hopefully Junior Hoilett is on our radar.

• @floyd said:
    No idea what sort of of money he’d want, but hopefully Junior Hoilett is on our radar.

Why? Absolutely no chance anyway.

• Decent goal scoring record at a higher level, having a good Gold Cup with Canada. And to half quote GA, the longer players are without a contract the more attractive we become.

• @floyd said:
    No idea what sort of of money he’d want, but hopefully Junior Hoilett is on our radar.

Was on £28k per week at Cardiff last season!

• @floyd said:
    Decent goal scoring record at a higher level, having a good Gold Cup with Canada. And to half quote GA, the longer players are without a contract the more attractive we become.

Even if we could afford him, he's not the physical presence we need and I expect we're targeting. Biamou is still available, though...

• @mooneyman said:

@floyd said:

Was on £28k per week at Cardiff last season!

Wow! Mind you he’s on £0 a week at the moment. But he does seem out of our price range.

• I can't recall his name, who is the big number 9 that Millwall have ? think he scored against us last season....the kind of player that would be ideal for us

• Matt Smith?

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@floyd said:
    Decent goal scoring record at a higher level, having a good Gold Cup with Canada. And to half quote GA, the longer players are without a contract the more attractive we become.

Even if we could afford him, he's not the physical presence we need and I expect we're targeting. Biamou is still available, though...

Having said this, I have had visions of Anis Mehmeti as a false 9 with Kashket +1 either side ? We're allowed to dream...

• that's him, kind of player I feel we need. not sure about his contract situation though

• Matt Smith signed a new 1 year deal with Millwall this summer.

• edited July 2021

@drcongo said:
    Matt Smith?

@drcongo Who?

• I don't think we should tar dis player with the big target man moniker.

• Surely it depends upon his relative dimensions, but I feel sure he would also be great at finding both time and space in the box.

• I think it's worth pointing out that Wycombe target players not just based on talent, but also on character, the latter to a finer degree than other clubs. Was it in 'Close Quarters' where Dobbo told the anecdote of them scouting a player, only to see him gesture angrily at the manager when being substituted, which was enough to remove him from consideration? So unless a player has played for us before, it is really hard to know which available players would pass muster on the character front in addition to talent.

• @Shev said:
    I think it's worth pointing out that Wycombe target players not just based on talent, but also on character, the latter to a finer degree than other clubs. Was it in 'Close Quarters' where Dobbo told the anecdote of them scouting a player, only to see him gesture angrily at the manager when being substituted, which was enough to remove him from consideration? So unless a player has played for us before, it is really hard to know which available players would pass muster on the character front in addition to talent.

I do wonder whether to take this whole 'we judge a player on character' thing with just the slightest smidgeon of salt. Anis Mehmeti and Josh Knight both strike me as players who would express dissatisfaction at being substituted. Adam el Abd had a hard man image but was brought in as captain.

• I'd be more concerned if my player didn't show dissatisfaction at being subbed, tbh.

• edited July 2021

Did someone mention Sam Vokes the other day?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I'd be more concerned if my player didn't show dissatisfaction at being subbed, tbh.

There is frustration about feeling you could have done more and there is Scott Mcgleish