Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• That's in a friendly, btw

• I wonder why he left WWFC.

• Allsop reportedly about to sign for Derby Can't County

• Rocky has the blowtorch to the bridge...

• That's a fairly crap website but it does seem odd them signing a third senior keeper without having the rest of the squad sorted unless one of their keepers is being sold or released.
    The few fans in that article don't seem to have realised that Rocky didn't finish the season as number one, not that they're in any position to be fussy.

• It’s Wayne Rooney’s Derby™️ I’m confident they will play with 12 players including 2 goalkeepers and they EFL will give them lines to do as a punishment. Cheeky Wayne

• Swansea supposedly considering Russell Martin for the vacant manager position there.

I'll be glad when he's no longer got anything to do with the franchise

• edited July 2021

Russell Martin will be managing in the Premier League within five years. An exceptional coach with a great philosophy/identity.

• I am a bit puzzled by the attention Russel Martin seems to be getting tbh. His record so far is ok but not amazing - won 30 of 79 games in Lg1. That doesn’t scream PL coach. Tbh GA seems a far better manager to me. Surely at the end of the day it’s not about “philosophies” it’s about winning football matches?

• He'll get there though.

• GA's record is over a long period. Russel Martin may look better on paper as a faster fix. I have nothing to back this up with and intend no disrespect, simply voicing a thought. Over to the statisticians to plot the graphs!

• Russ' brand of football aligns with the way more clubs want to play as well. He's very committed to it and the results are starting to come - the the point I think they'll be right up there this season if he stays.

• He's a very decent bloke, spoke well when we had the Sergio film screening and is involved in youth academies and a number of business and community activities. Comes across very well and seems to be doing a good job and headed upwards. Match win percentage is a very poor measure as it doesn't include any context. I believe he's taken over a team that were pretty awful and done well. Good luck to him in his next venture, not the current one obviously.

• He’s more clean corporate and marketable than Gaz so has a bit of a headstart in the boardroom…. I’m happy that people continually underestimate our gaffer on looks and philosophy

• @kiscokid said:
    He’s more clean corporate and marketable than Gaz so has a bit of a headstart in the boardroom…. I’m happy that people continually underestimate our gaffer on looks and philosophy

Too right, it's almost certainly the only reason he's still here.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@kiscokid said:
    He’s more clean corporate and marketable than Gaz so has a bit of a headstart in the boardroom…. I’m happy that people continually underestimate our gaffer on looks and philosophy

I'm not sure about 'almost certainly' . It may be that he likes it here, enjoys the support of the owner and the challenge of building a team for promotion against the odds.
    If clubs are employing managers for their hairdos and suits, it might explain al lot.

• @Wendoverman said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@kiscokid said:

I'm not sure about 'almost certainly' . It may be that he likes it here, enjoys the support of the owner and the challenge of building a team for promotion against the odds.
    If clubs are employing managers for their hairdos and suits, it might explain al lot.

Yeah, all true.

• Daniel Farke and Thomas Frank may be blazing a trail to the PL for fellow longhaired managers now.

• Is it a new feature of this cup that clubs can agree an earlier date for their first round game?
    Wonder why we and Exeter didn't go for bringing it forward?

• edited July 2021

@Malone said:
    Is it a new feature of this cup that clubs can agree an earlier date for their first round game?

Seem to remember us playing Watford in the first round before the league season had started, but not sure if that was the same across the board that season.

• Kevin Betsy linked with Arsenal u23 post. Currently England u18 manager.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:
    Is it a new feature of this cup that clubs can agree an earlier date for their first round game?

Seem to remember us playing Watford in the first round before the league season had started, but not sure if that was the same across the board that season.

Reckon that was the game that Stuart Beavon mysteriously missed and also memorable for the way Anthony Stewart stormed forward several times (possibly from right back, rather than centre) into the Watford penalty area. I think he was still a teenager at the time.

• I see that the Milton Keynes local newspaper (MKCitizen) reported that Russell Martin has ‘reassured MK Dons Fans’ by stating that he plans to stay there for a long time. Best laid plans of mice and men and all that. Also a few weeks in Milton Keynes might feel like a long time.

I doubt whether Swansea City FC would be a bed of roses with (reportedly) miserly funds available for player recruitment and (presumably) payment. Also, Andre Ayew, who looked outstanding every time I watched Swansea, has moved on and Russell Martin has evidently made plain that he would want to strengthen the squad. We’ll see but if Swansea don’t get their man they may go from playoff finalists to lower half strugglers.

• Absolutely priceless seeing the plastics get bent all out of shape about the prospect of Martin leaving. Calling him a disgrace etc. How dare he take the opportunity to further his career with a bigger* club!

• *legitimate

• Maybe they’re concerned that he’ll try to take their history to Swansea with him?

• No @Ned_Ludd, that would require Swansea to relocate to Fishguard to be legitimate.

• I’m not going to lie, I couldn’t for the life of me remember this bloke ever playing for us…and that’s because he didn’t. He signed as part of a double loan signing alongside Danny Rowe (remember how promising he was!) but didn’t play. There’s been a few that Gaz has signed on loan who haven’t featured, isn’t there - did James Ferry ever get a game in the end?