Skip to content

Aylesbury

Was this game yesterday? Anything of note from people who went at all?

Comments

• There was a largely pointless commentary on Twitter about the game. Great shot from 8. Fantastic goal by 17. Etc etc It was like a match report sent via an enigma machine.

• The trialist midfielder who scored the screamer of an equaliser (No. 17) sounds interesting.

• @micra said:
    The trialist midfielder who scored the screamer of an equaliser (No. 17) sounds interesting.

Supposedly Ricky Aguiar, last at Worthing.

• Anyone questioning the lack of pre season games for the first team? Unless there’s ones be conducted behind closed doors we’re not being told about, it seems strange that we only have 2 proper pre season games according to our website (Stevenage and Leicester). Just wondered what other people’s thoughts were on this.

• edited July 2021

I got the impression from Gaz's interview after the Stevenage game that they wanted to keep it largely in-house for Covid reasons. Plus we have just come off the most ridiculously intense season ever, so I think it was always going to be a slightly lighter pre-season.

Next year is the big one with the North American tour, all being well ?

• Totally agree @ReturnToSenda .

• Much as I would like the normal schedule of pre season games the risk is huge. Better to start the season with a full squad on the back of some low key games.

• Covid, injuries you name it.

Apparently Ricky Aguiar has a rocket of a right boot “..and his left ain’t bad either!”
    Around the 20 mark, I think so presumably lined up for the development squad but the number 17 is intriguing.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I got the impression from Gaz's interview after the Stevenage game that they wanted to keep it largely in-house for Covid reasons. Plus we have just come off the most ridiculously intense season ever, so I think it was always going to be a slightly lighter pre-season.

Next year is the big one with the North American tour, all being well ?

That's a good point tbh, and I'll admit I hadn't thought of it like that, but very good reasons

• @DPR38 said:
    Anyone questioning the lack of pre season games for the first team? Unless there’s ones be conducted behind closed doors we’re not being told about, it seems strange that we only have 2 proper pre season games according to our website (Stevenage and Leicester). Just wondered what other people’s thoughts were on this.

GA mentioned there was a game against Southampton (?) U23 scheduled. It is a different approach, although I remember Sanchez saying once that he’d prefer no ore season friendlies.

• Ah yeah, I think that game (Southampton) was earlier this week?

• @floyd said:
    I remember Sanchez saying once that he’d prefer no ore season friendlies.

Ironically one our best runs of form under him was his last pre-season (and opening league game and 'Wimbledon' just after their owners announced they were abandoning south London) before the house of cards truly collapsed.

• @ReadingMarginalista i remember us beating quite a strong West Ham team that pre season. The falsest of all false dawns!

• @floyd said:
    @ReadingMarginalista i remember us beating quite a strong West Ham team that pre season. The falsest of all false dawns!

Was that the game Mark Philo got badly injured?

• @TwinBrother said:

That was against Portsmouth in a PSF the following season in 2004.

• @ReadingMarginalista said:

@TwinBrother said:

That was against Portsmouth in a PSF the following season in 2004.

I was right behind the goal in the terrace - unfortunate clash of legs / ankle with Yakubu I seem to recall? Always going to come off worse in that one

• Man that still breaks my heart. What a player he could have been. What a tragic waste of two lives. He doesn’t go for that tackle and everything is different … sliding doors.

• @micra said:
    Covid, injuries you name it.

Apparently Ricky Aguiar has a rocket of a right boot “..and his left ain’t bad either!”
    Around the 20 mark, I think so presumably lined up for the development squad but the number 17 is intriguing.

According to this site he's only one year old. I'd definitely pay to see that.