Skip to content

Summer transfer thread

Comments

• Their owners have wag more than that. I sincerely hope they are in it for long haul and not for the duration of the documentary. Which looks hilarious

• edited July 2021

I have to admit I do like Ryan Reynolds...I reckon Wrexham are going to have a whale of a time for the next couple of years.

• @YorkExile said:

It certainly gives him the best possible chance to produce similar figures while pocketing a tidy pay increase!

I think the accepted Gasroom vernacular is trousering.

• I have a soft spot for Wrexham ever since a load of them turned up in Manchester and kicked the shit out of the racists "protecting" statues.

• Many years ago my first trip to Wycombe was with a Wrexham supporting mate to see them take on the Chairboys. Unfortunately, the game was called off because of torrential rain or something...so we never even made it to the ground but got drunk in a pub in the town centre. I have no idea which one. Little did I know that one day I would be saying 'How much to park???' as an Adams Park regular.

• Maybe our statement signing is just about to be confirmed? ??

• Having been to Swansea and Cardiff you can only hope the Wrexham fans are the good ones...(queue abuse, I'm sure they're all lovely really)

• @Wendoverman said:
    I have to admit I do like Ryan Reynolds...I reckon Wrexham are going to have a whale of a time for the next couple of years.

So do I.... Good luck to them !

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Having been to Swansea and Cardiff you can only hope the Wrexham fans are the good ones...(queue abuse, I'm sure they're all lovely really)

I recall someone telling me they went to a play-off at the Millennium Stadium and even though Cardiff were not involved, their fans turned up to fight with the fans of the teams who were.

• @drcongo said:
    I have a soft spot for Wrexham ever since a load of them turned up in Manchester and kicked the shit out of the racists "protecting" statues.

Legends.

• We don’t seem to be linked with any baseless rumours at the moment. Agent Ainsworth is really keeping his cards to his chest. Or he’s on holiday

• Just goes to show the lack of ambition from the Cohigs letting go our players leave on the cheap again.

• we will be probably signing young players on loan from championship teams ...sigh......I was really optimistic about our promotions chances a few weeks back...since then we have lost 3 of our better players....

• I think our promotion chances are pretty good. Even with what we already have I would say we are a top half League 1 club.
    There will be further additions and I’m sure we have a very reasonable chance of finishing in the top six. Relax, young man!

• Trying to work out who the third player we lost is?

• I have zero expectations of promotion. And am very comfortable with that. It would be great to have a real go but the club is still developing on and off the pitch. A fun season this year, an outside chance of a play off, and next season better placed with more developed talent.

• edited July 2021

I wouldn't say I expect promotion, but Gaz has made it clear that that's the aim - and so it should be. I'll be disappointed if we don't finish at least in the top six.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Trying to work out who the third player we lost is?

uche , Fred and Knight (I know he was a loan) but he is a big loss

• Not counting that. They're also three Championship calibre players - and we're not a Championship team anymore. Would be more concerned if we were losing players we really should have been keeping hold of.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I wouldn't say I expect promotion, but Gaz has made it clear that that's the aim - and so it should be. I'll be disappointed if we don't finish at least in the top six.

Sounds reasonable, I'd be disappointed if we don't make top 6 but not pitchforked rip it up and start again disappointed

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Their owners have wag more than that. I sincerely hope they are in it for long haul and not for the duration of the documentary. Which looks hilarious

uche and Knight 100% Fred still not sure is championship standard ....yet

• @Wanderers82 said:

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Their owners have wag more than that. I sincerely hope they are in it for long haul and not for the duration of the documentary. Which looks hilarious

uche and Knight 100% Fred still not sure is championship standard ....yet

not sure why the video was added...apologies must be my sausage fingers!

• @StrongestTeam said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Sounds reasonable, I'd be disappointed if we don't make top 6 but not pitchforked rip it up and start again disappointed

This is on the assumption we replace Uche well, but I'm not sure why we wouldn't...

• edited July 2021

But even if we didn't, I'm still not buying the predictions that we'll finish in the bottom half. League One is stronger than when we were last here - but so are we ?‍♂️ And we've got stability that many (most?) relegated teams just don't have.

• I'm not sure we'll be restricted to loans from championship clubs, we seem to have a very good relationship with Leicester now, hence the friendly, and the fact we looked after 2 of their youngsters very well last season. Wouldne be at all surprised to see another young player from Leicester rock up this season

• edited July 2021

We had a player on loan from Arsenal in our last season in L2, so I'm not sure I see the logic there. Not that Premier League youngster automatically = better than Championship youngster, cause that's plainly not the case.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    I'm not sure we'll be restricted to loans from championship clubs, we seem to have a very good relationship with Leicester now, hence the friendly, and the fact we looked after 2 of their youngsters very well last season. Wouldne be at all surprised to see another young player from Leicester rock up this season

I'd add Southampton (have played their U23s the last couple of pre-seasons, and we've done alright out of their players in the past...) and Brentford (Sammy Saunders link and obviously no longer in the same division) to that list as well.

• The problem is that a U23s loanee is going to be a bit hit and miss in terms of stepping up to League Two. It's absolutely fine to bring one in for a position where we have strength in depth - like wide midfield - or if the player underperforms others can step up, like attacking midfield. But if we're hoping to sign a U23s target man to replace Uche then they're going to need to perform from day one. For every Marcello Trotta there will be a Josh Umerah or Rowan Liburd. Given we've just banked around £1m for Fred and Uche, I'd like us to spend some of that on a target man who has proven himself, even if just at non league level. Or we could find ourselves very exposed once the window closes.

• @aloysius

I can’t see us being able to buy a proven Lge1 or 2 goal scorer. The proven out of contract players will go to bigger clubs in Lge1 or to other clubs splashing big wages.

Most if not all the strikers with goal scoring history have already signed for a new team or are commuted to an existing team.

I can’t think of one proven target man we can afford or is without a club now.

That leaves loans and Kion Etete would be my choice.