Skip to content

Summer transfer thread

Comments

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    With reduced squad numbers this season, surely there'll be a fair few very decent players looking for any wage at all. It's a buyers' market.

Gareth has always left it a bit late to keep the Gasroom guessing or angrily pointing at players disappearing to other clubs...

• @Wendoverman said:

@MindlessDrugHoover said:
    With reduced squad numbers this season, surely there'll be a fair few very decent players looking for any wage at all. It's a buyers' market.

Gareth has always left it a bit late to keep the Gasroom guessing or angrily pointing at players disappearing to other clubs...

Gareth Is in an difficult position even with ourI increased finances.In an ideal world , I would have thought you would do your transfer business early. Get players settled into the culture, playing style and games under their belt prior to the season starting. However we tend to do a lot of our business late looking for bargains and loanees to supplement the squad. Probably not the ideal way to start the season. I’m sure it was a contributory factor to our start last season. Hopefully over the next couple of weeks we will see a couple of new faces. Certainly will be interesting who we get as a new front man.

• The whole point is if you do your business early an agent and player can ask for a lot and clubs are making decisions on retention and release...later when squads are trimmed and berths are few you can strike better deals. There is still no point breaking the bank 'early' for an extra few days training in my opinion. I thought the main contributing factor to our start last season was our new striker and Taff being out injured rather than late transfer dealings...

• Plus the small matter of the fact that we didn't know what league we'd be playing in until mid-July. The season did start later, but pre-season was 3-4 weeks shorter than normal.

• I feel that the loan market will be key for us this season. Two real good loan players and we will be on the right track. Last season we had three real good loanees.

• I'd have thought Gaz's track record in the transfer market means that we can all relax and trust him to get the right players in.

Time and time again he's brought in absolute gems of players

• Well said @eric_plant but then we would not have these seemingly endless debates about late transfers in July every single season.

• @eric_plant said:
    I'd have thought Gaz's track record in the transfer market means that we can all relax and trust him to get the right players in.

Yes but we saw what happened two years ago when we left it late to bring in a front man: Josh Parker.

• @aloysius said:

@eric_plant said:
    I'd have thought Gaz's track record in the transfer market means that we can all relax and trust him to get the right players in.

Yes but we saw what happened two years ago when we left it late to bring in a front man: Josh Parker.

Josh Parker was ok wasn't he? Not his fault we had better and he couldn't force his way in. With a more active B team I'd think he might have knocked harder on the first team door.

I'm not having it that a player is either brilliant or useless stuff. It's lazy.

• @aloysius said:

@eric_plant said:

I thought we did alright the season before last, could be wrong...not every signing will work out however early you get them

• @aloysius said:

@eric_plant said:

Two years ago? Just remind me what happened that season, I've forgotten

• I'm pretty certain Ainsworth has talked about this before. They have a number of targets they go after early doors.

Quite often those players are talking to more than one club, want higher wages and perhaps a higher level of football which we cannot immediately offer. Whilst they might be our Plan A, we might be there Plan C or D.

As the Summer plods along some of those players still haven't been snapped up and the "offer" from Wycombe becomes more and more appealing moving us up to their Plan A or B.

Some of our early dealings have been returning players or real youngsters with unproven potential. We do not tend to make too many signings of experienced football league players.

I have a feeling we will be signing someone from the American College system who perhaps has paternal grandparents/dual passport to get around the rules. Someone like Dike at Barnsley last season.

• edited July 2021

We wanted Dike, but he didn't qualify for a work permit - only did after making his international debut on 31st Jan, by which time we'd already made our move for Muskwe.

I spoke to Rob a bit about this side of things: https://theonlinerule.com/worldwide-wycombe-wanderers-phenomenon/

• Parker was signed, or at least started training with the club, just before the Couhigs came along. When we were forced to slash the budgets and jettisoned half the squad. We took what we could get.

• G.A. has gone on record that he thinks a lot of his business will be done late on as per Mr. MDH's posting above.

Given him and Richard will be all over it, I have complete trust in their decision-making.

• @prufrock_91 said:
    Parker was signed, or at least started training with the club, just before the Couhigs came along. When we were forced to slash the budgets and jettisoned half the squad. We took what we could get.

Not sure about if the timings line up that way but Josh and maybe one or two others would have played more if we hadn't been able to get the others in with the increased budget.

• @aloysius said:

@eric_plant said:

Proud member of our promotion winning team? If only that Ainsworth had us got promoted betterer than he did. Disastrous.

• Agree with RITM that some fans can't understand there is a gap between brilliant and rubbish, but it cannot possibly be stated that Parker had much of an impact on the actual football side of things in his time here.

Maybe unlucky, timing wrong etc, but he barely got near the pitch.

• @Malone said:
    Agree with RITM that some fans can't understand there is a gap between brilliant and rubbish, but it cannot possibly be stated that Parker had much of an impact on the actual football side of things in his time here.

Maybe unlucky, timing wrong etc, but he barely got near the pitch.

No, but he was training with the squad before the likes of Fred and Wheeler came in so it's nothing to do with the date on which he signed.

• Josh Parker, I think, was signed before the Couhig's arrived which was when we were totally skint.

• I 'enjoy' criticisms of Josh Parker. Based on all those appearances I don't feel equipped to make that call myself. All I can say is that despite him not getting what he must have felt like a fair crack he was was always 100% and seemed like a key part of the spirit that got us promoted.

• Looks like Parker signed officially a couple of days after Fred, would have been in the period where the Couhigs had been given the nod to start work and loaned money in enabling the budget to go back up .
    The US market will no doubt be interesting for obvious reasons, hopefully there are some untapped gems, but relocation, Visa, Work permit issues and risk of not settling mean it's much higher risk than getting in a Prem loanee

• @NiceCarrots said:
    Josh Parker, I think, was signed before the Couhig's arrived which was when we were totally skint.

Josh Parker signed on 1 August, two days before the start of the season. He was the ninth summer signing.

The Trust announced a deal with Rob Couhig on 2 July.

I think you're thinking of Alex Pattison , our first signing that summer - but even he arrived on 9 July.

• And the Couhigs would have known about Alex Pattison from their brief foray into green shirted cider country. Alex was playing really well in the game at Dean Court until he was, arguably harshly, sent off very early in the second half. He had shown incredible discipline during the 2020 close season and returned to Adams Park in excellent physical shape. The management team commented on that at the time. IMHO he clearly had much greater potential than Josh Parker.

• It’s hot and humid and I’m in grumpy old git mode so I get just a little irritated when people refer, for example, to ‘Richard’ (I eventually worked out it was Dobbo, whose first name is rarely used), RITM and MrDH. I’ve seen @Right_in_the_Middle reduced to capitals before but, unless the last named is De Havilland (unlikely) I haven’t a clue.

I don’t know if it’s laziness that prevents people from using usernames or perhaps their devices don’t ‘throw up’ the relevant username when they type @ and the first two or three letters. If the latter I can understand that it would be irksome trying to remember underscoring etc.

Rant over.

• @micra So that’s how you get the username!! Thanks @Micra, I always wondered what the secret was.

• Ah, it seems one great striker in form can only do so much....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57918549

• @glasshalffull said:
    @micra So that’s how you get the username!! Thanks @Micra, I always wondered what the secret was.

You’re very welcome but, strangely, your second effort threw up a capital ‘M’. Wonder who he is?

• A taller micra?

• Wouldn’t be difficult! All those ciggies.
    Knowing how tall you are @Shev I’m guessing you’ve never been a serious smoker!