Skip to content

Summer transfer thread

Comments

• Today’s practice match vs Stevenage is underway!#Chairboys: Stockdale, Trialist-DF1, Trialist-DF2, Jacobson, Obita, Gape, Scowen, Pendlebury, McCleary, Kashket, Linton. pic.twitter.com/86G2O0D8oc

— Wycombe Wanderers (@wwfcofficial) July 17, 2021

Assume that one trialist is the RWB and the other a CB. Looks like a 3-5-2.

• @ChasHarps said:
    P s.
    Noel Ashford never played in the quarters Mr P !!

Quite right!

• @Steve_Peart said:
    The great (greatest?) Dave Carroll scored 100 goals in 602 appearances from midfield over 14 years, and laid on many goals for others. We will probably never see figures like that again from a midfielder.

The greatest for me, no one else comes close.

• Privileged to have seen some truly great players since my first Wycombe game in the 1970s and I have to agree with those who named Carroll as arguably the best of all. A mesmerising wizard with the ball at his feet in the style of Tom Finney and Stanley Matthews, amazed that he never played at a higher level. Also a lovely, unassuming guy who never realised just how good he was.

• Gave Dave Carroll a lift home from a match once, one of my mates somehow managed to get a game in one of the cup games, it was like a 2nd team cup competition, for the life of me can't remember the name of it... anyway I digress, I gave him a lift, stayed to watch obviously, when he came out the changing room afterwards asked if I could give Jesus a lift home as well... well of course I did !!

• Forgot to add, I'm sure it was away at Windsor & Eton

• @glasshalffull said:
    Privileged to have seen some truly great players since my first Wycombe game in the 1970s and I have to agree with those who named Carroll as arguably the best of all. A mesmerising wizard with the ball at his feet in the style of Tom Finney and Stanley Matthews, amazed that he never played at a higher level. Also a lovely, unassuming guy who never realised just how good he was.

It's easy to look back and re-write history but when you consider some of the players we had in that era by goodness we were blessed with talent and spirit. It doesn't happen by chance I guess.

• @Steve_Peart said:
    St. Martin described Dave as a 'sit back and relax' player, once he had the ball only good things would happen.

What a wonderful, perfect description. Pure O’Neill.

• Dave Carroll just never gave the ball away. I believe he still gets to Adams Park to cheer on the blues, quite regularly as do some of his relatives.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Privileged to have seen some truly great players since my first Wycombe game in the 1970s and I have to agree with those who named Carroll as arguably the best of all. A mesmerising wizard with the ball at his feet in the style of Tom Finney and Stanley Matthews, amazed that he never played at a higher level. Also a lovely, unassuming guy who never realised just how good he was.

Dave was one of the nicest people you could meet. We were sat at our table in the Woodlands Lounge, not that many years ago, Dave was passing and recognised our faces, sat down and we had a good reminisce about the old days.

I think St. Martin said it was only his lack of pace which stopped him from signing him at Leicester, although that didn't stop Darren Currie from playing in the Championship.

• What a side that was eh?

Carroll on one wing, Guppy on the other, Thompson and Ryan or Stapleton in the middle.....we were so lucky to have that team and that manager

• @MorrisItal_ said:
    I’m going to be controversial but although his career was marred by two stints with the Essex apes I really liked Steve Mcgavin

Another technically gifted player, but he never scored quite enough goals. I was told that, out of all the players he inherited, McGavin was the one who Alan Smith really rated.

• @Steve_Peart said:

@MorrisItal_ said:
    I’m going to be controversial but although his career was marred by two stints with the Essex apes I really liked Steve Mcgavin

Another technically gifted player, but he never scored quite enough goals. I was told that, out of all the players he inherited, McGavin was the one who Alan Smith really rated.

Okay three black marks against him because I frigging hated the Smith era but I really liked Stevey Mc I guess I have a fondness for lazy skills as my all time favourite player of the game is a certain large nosed Channel islander

• Steve McGavin was pure silk, mostly in the home games as we were often not much of an attacking force away from home.

• It’s always hard to rank players but Dave Carroll was an absolute pleasure to watch for many years and his mazy run and goal against Preston at Wembley is still an all time great memory.

Noel Ashford was however just one of those players who was several levels above everyone else on the pitch. We would have had a very different history I think if he hadn’t jumped ship after Alan Gane left.

Can remember the shock and excitement when I heard that we’d signed Steve Thompson. Final proof that we were now the biggest fish in the non league pond. Great, great player.

Finally I’m with @Morris_Ital to a degree. I always felt confident with Steve McGavin on the team sheet. I don’t think he always performed (who can blame him under Al*n S****) but when he did turn it on he was magnificent to watch

• McGavin was pretty handy in John Gregorys "post-smith cleansing" era.

• Even in the autumn of his career, Dave Carroll could do thing with a ball that most players at our level could only dream of.

• Aaron Pressley the young Brentford forward was loaned to Wimbledon yesterday. I thought he might have been a good option for us but there you go.

• Carroll would invariably cross the ball into good areas too.

The amount of goals as Scotty got nodding in a Jesus or Guppy cross was ridiculous.

• Four trialists in the team today, three defenders and one forward.

• edited July 2021

Would imagine all the trialists are prospective development squad players - would be great to see that grow this summer.

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    Carroll would invariably cross the ball into good areas too.

The amount of goals as Scotty got nodding in a Jesus or Guppy cross was ridiculous.

Back in the days of proper footy that was.
    2 wingers, both play on the correct side, big target man who can head it. Shorter quicker player to get onto the flick ons.

Glorious. Glad that some lower league teams still keep the dream alive.

• @Malone said:

@Lloyd2084 said:

2 wingers, both play on the correct side, big target man who can head it. Shorter quicker player to get onto the flick ons.

Hear hear

• The trialist CB I’m guessing?

• Jack Wakely

• @Malone said:

@Lloyd2084 said:

The same proper footy which allowed back-passes? ?

• New keeper. Adam Przybek.

Worth a fortune in Scrabble.

• Is he the only Wycombe player to have played for both England and Wales?

• who has been genuinely excited by our signing so far ? not to be disrespectful but keen to hear what everyone thinks