Skip to content

Summer transfer thread

Comments

• Love it @MindlessDrugHoover. Had to say it a couple of times, though. And what a rubbish post at 7.48. “used to say...” omitted and Sam was no saint so ‘good’ shouldn’t have had a capital letter. OCD at me this evening.

• Getting a bit restless for the next signing. Hopefully a big strapping centre forward with 15 plus goals a season to his name. I don't care if he is lower league or not but wherever he comes from if we are to compete against these other league1 teams that are seeking promotion this season coming we need a proven goalscorer in the house I

• @ChairboysBlue said:
    Getting a bit restless for the next signing. Hopefully a big strapping centre forward with 15 plus goals a season to his name. I don't care if he is lower league or not but wherever he comes from if we are to compete against these other league1 teams that are seeking promotion this season coming we need a proven goalscorer in the house I

Our chances of signing a proven goalscorer is pretty limited as EVERYONE wants one of those and cost and pecking order will mean we don't get one of those. Finding someone who could be a goalscorer is what we have to do. Uche wasn't top of anyone's wish list 12 months ago. Muskwe certainly needed a Google search too. I'm excited about the next arrival but will give him a while before judging as I suspect I won't have a clue who it is.

• Agree @TheAndyGrahamFanClub I don't think our squad was the envy of many (including some Gasroomers) the last couple of promotions. :smile:

• Thanks for that @ReturnToSenda I thought we had managed to get up without a fabled 20 goal front man that all the other clubs then came in for.

• So if we average that out, we need a 12 goal a season striker. That sounds more attainable!!!

• I'm always amazed about how few goals we get from midfield. Not surprising considering the defensive role that they are mainly employed to do I guess. Have we got a midfielder who has contributed five goals in a season? I can't think that Bloomfield, Thompson or Gape have. Nnamdi got 2? Adeniran zero?

• edited July 2021

O'Nien got seven in 2017/18 and five in 2015/16

• Just saw that we seem to have a friendly with Stevenage tomorrow...a behind closed doors practice game I assume?

• How many (accent on ‘how’) did Kai Kai score for Blackpool? Wasn’t it roughly one every five games (plus eight assists) from a wide (?) position? So potential for eight or nine in a season but enhanced, of course, by playing alongside so many former Championship players.

• @micra said:
    How many (accent on ‘how’) did Kai Kai score for Blackpool? Wasn’t it roughly one every five games (plus eight assists) from a wide (?) position? So potential for eight or nine in a season but enhanced, of course, by playing alongside so many former Championship players.

7 goals, 8 assists.

• 11 from 58 over two seasons so on an upward curve perhaps.

• Next slide, please.

• I think that. Gaz scored about 1 goal in every 10 games from midfield and I thought that was a very good record. A couple of midfielders scoring 4-5 goals each next season would be very useful.

• I think some of it has been stylistic, being reliant on flick-ons (for a forward like Kashket), crosses from out wide (Bayo, Uche), and set pieces (JJ pens, corners for taller forwards and defenders). Our style of play has not usually been based on late arriving midfielders and interplay around the edges of the box, but I think that is gradually set to change if we carry on from where we were at the end of last season with the likes of McLeary.

• still hoping and waiting for us to announce a good number 9, feel we are short in that position, hopefully GA pulls one out of the bag !

• The great (greatest?) Dave Carroll scored 100 goals in 602 appearances from midfield over 14 years, and laid on many goals for others. We will probably never see figures like that again from a midfielder.

• One of the great things about Luke O'Nien was that he scored all those goals despite not being played as an attacking midfielder. His job was to harry and run box to box, yet he still had the energy and guile to float in and score some absolute screamers. A lot of people say that Bayo has been Gareth's greatest signing, and with some justification, but I personally think it was Luke. It's such a shame he's not yet had the chance to show what he can do in the Championship. If he had been with us last season I'm confident he would have been an absolute star.

• Losing out by one point, I think we came down as a result of a set of major injuries at the beginning and dropping points from winning positions against Luton and Swansea rather than the lack of a 30 goal front man.

• Peter Murphy was pretty handy , Probably also chief architect of some of our "arts"

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    I'm always amazed about how few goals we get from midfield. Not surprising considering the defensive role that they are mainly employed to do I guess. Have we got a midfielder who has contributed five goals in a season? I can't think that Bloomfield, Thompson or Gape have. Nnamdi got 2? Adeniran zero?

• edited July 2021

If we're talking attacking midfielders then Steve Thompson is peerless, in my opinion

John Reardon once described him as a "Maradona at our level". Looking back I think I'd liken him most to Paul Scholes. He had everything

• Totally agree Mr Plant, whilst we had Guppy and Carroll on the wings, we never had anyone in the middle who could carry the ball, until we signed Thommo.
    Always an attacking threat, and arguably one of our greatest ever signings. He never seemed to tire !!

• I agree about Thommo @eric_plant, a great talent,
    an absolute joy to watch, one of my all time favourites, but Dave is my favourite because he was so good over such a long period. St. Martin described Dave as a 'sit back and relax' player, once he had the ball only good things would happen.

I still think Noel Ashford is the best player technically I have seen in the Quarters, although it's so ingrained now that I would probably still think that even if Messi signed for us.

• @eric_plant said:
    If we're talking attacking midfielders then Steve Thompson is peerless, in my opinion

John Reardon once described him as a "Maradona at our level". Looking back I think I'd liken him most to Paul Scholes. He had everything

Signing Thompson was a seismic event in our history. He was THE non league player fans drooled over and our big neighbours had him. Boom. Overnight we had him. The rest is history.

• Steve Thompson was brilliant but my all time favourite is Dave ‘Jesus’ Carroll, a real magician.
    We were very lucky to have those two as well as Scotty, Guppy, Creaser, Garner, Ryan, Brownie etc.

• @Steve_Peart said:
    I agree about Thommo @eric_plant, a great talent,
    an absolute joy to watch, one of my all time favourites, but Dave is my favourite because he was so good over such a long period. St. Martin described Dave as a 'sit back and relax' player, once he had the ball only good things would happen.

I still think Noel Ashford is the best player technically I have seen in the Quarters, although it's so ingrained now that I would probably still think that even if Messi signed for us.

Totally agree Mr P, Noel Ashford was the most intelligent,cunning technically gifted player, I've seen in a Wanderers shirt.
    It's just a shame, there appears to be no footage of that memorable 86/87 season, when the genius Ashford basically ran the show in every game.
    Younger fans will just have to accept us old farts opinion, of what I consider, the greatest talent to appear in a Wanderers shirt.

• P s.
    Noel Ashford never played in the quarters Mr P !!

• I’m going to be controversial but although his career was marred by two stints with the Essex apes I really liked Steve Mcgavin