Skip to content

Charity Predictions 21/22 Accrington (H)

edited July 2021 in Football

The new season is just a couple of weeks or so away. Time then to launch, back by popular (well ish) demand, this seasons Charity Prediction Competitions.

First up the score prediction comp. @railwaysteve will be along (hopefully) in the near future to launch his competitions.
Scoring is unchanged (details post two https://gasroom.org/discussion/6110/annual-charity-prediction-competitions#latest) but although it looks complicated, don’t worry, just predict the score of each Wycombe league game on this board and I’ll do the rest.

We have supported Wycombe Homeless Connection for the last three seasons. This year though, I would like to change it up by supporting a different charity.

Suicide is a silent killer. It is the biggest killer of all of males under 45.Yet males in particular are bad at talking and asking for help. Look around the hopefully packed to capacity Adams Park at the first game of the season and at the happy excited faces. Yet sadly it is statistically likely that by the end of the season two people in that opening day crowd will have chosen to end their life. One may be that nice lad that stands or sits next to you and that you say hello to each week that suddenly is no longer there.

This year we aim to help to do something about that. Every day the Samaritans take around 10,000 calls, emails and soon webchats from people in need of help. There will be a volunteer available 24/7 to answer those contacts whenever they are needed but money is needed to fund heating, telephone, rates, etc. etc. etc. costs to allow them to do so. Calls are distributed nationally so a caller from HW is as likely to be answered in Truro as he/she is in Aberdeen. Each branch raises its own funds to pay those costs. I would like to help my local branch answer more calls and hence save more lives.
To enter the competition please donate at least £10 via https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/gasroomfundraising

I would be really really grateful if you would consider playing this season and encouraging as many of your friends and relatives to do so too. Thanks for reading.

First score prediction below!!!

Comments

• Nice one Dev. Paid up but will hold out on prediction until that fabled 30-goals-a-season fella signs up.

• Done. Though personally I did like helping out a charity local to High Wycombe.

• Do understand that to be fair @drcongo and I did think long and hard. I chose these guys because I do value their work very deeply and frankly I do know one or two of my local guys and I don't as far as I know know anyone in the chiltern branch in Amersham. As I say while the service is funded on a local level,calls are distributed nationally so it may well be that one of the Plymouth volunteers is currently talking to a resident of HW.

• Paid and ready to go. I'll also wait a little longer before making the first prediction!

• Totally fair @DevC, and definitely a worthy cause.

• I have signed up. I will also wait until The Player who will get us promoted has been unveiled before I predict a 4-0 win. Good cause which is often overlooked.

• Done - I'm hopeless at predictions but at least my struggle not to finish last will be for an excellent cause

• Paid up @DevC thanks for organising again...

• Done. All paid.... Hope I do better than low midtable this year...... Also hope our boys do too ??

• Paid. Thanks for organising this once again.

• I’m in and paid up. Thanks for organising again and it’s a very worthwhile charity to support. I’ll hold off on the initial score prediction a while longer please (waiting for Betfair to price up their book)

• By my reckoning we are 12th favourite to get promoted next season. That is progress on all previous seasons in league one surely?

• Done - thanks for organising again Dev!

• Donated and in, cheers Dev.

• Up and running. Thanks @DevC for keeping it going.

• In and up for it.

• In and paid up
    Waiting for the final signings before I make my usual incorrect prediction

• Just a housekeeping question...does this donation mean I can incorrectly predict scorers this time...or is that a separate competition again?

• I think this one is for gates @Wendoverman.

• This is just the score prediction one.

I find @railwaysteve, who ran the scorers one, tends to find a nice siding to snooze in over summer before returning to the gas room mainline just before season starts. Not sure what he has planned this season tbh. Personally I rather hope he resurrects the attendance one - always thought that was really well designed.

• @DevC said:
    This is just the score prediction one.

I find @railwaysteve, who ran the scorers one, tends to find a nice siding to snooze in over summer before returning to the gas room mainline just before season starts. Not sure what he has planned this season tbh. Personally I rather hope he resurrects the attendance one - always thought that was really well designed.

Agreed. I rather liked that.

• I prefer the goalscorers, particularly as we will score more of them (hopefully) this year.

• I much prefer the attendance one. The goal scorer one was a good compromise when there were no crowds but it was/is a little too similar to the score one for my taste

• The attendance one would have been quite challenging last season. Points only for being within 10 perhaps. Silliness aside, I am with @Manboobs and @DevC in quite liking the attendance challenge.
    We didn’t have it for 2019/20 season did we?

PS Fell asleep before posting this last night. I know we didn’t have attendance predictions last season but had a vague feeling we didn’t have it for the season before. Irrelevant now. Glad @bookertease prefers it to the goalscorers. I’m inclined to wait until an hour before kickoff for scores and attendances but waiting to see who’s playing before predicting scorers is not allowed.

• And some of us wait on your weather predictions @micra to expertly calculate the likely crowd attendance.

And the score, for JJ’s wind assisted direct from corner goals

• A lot of people relied on Michael Fish in 1987 @bookertease! Look where that got them.

• Thatcham level crossing in my case @mooneyman

• Gosh it’s only 12 days to the start of the new season.

(Shamelessly bumping this thread up the page….)

• Still waiting for us to sign The Player before I can predict that 4-0 thumping Ainsworth will have to mastermind for me to have any confidence in his abilities after all these years.