Skip to content

Bucks draw three day cricket match at Beds

edited July 2021 in Not Football

The first round of the NCCA 3 Day Championship finished today. I spent all three days watching Bucks draw with Beds in the Eastern Division 2, at Bedford School, accompanied by @A_Worboys. A tense last hour saw Bucks fail to take the two wickets needed to win, with Beds looking comfortable at the crease.

Bucks won the toss and elected to bat, making 264 all out off 88 overs. Opener Alex Woodland scored an excellent 109, his debut century for the county, after his debut century for High Wycombe on Saturday. Alexei Kervezee, the current Bucks professional and former Worcestershire and Netherlands batsman, hit a sparkling 70 off 71 balls. At the time the score seemed a little low, after being 226-4, but the bowlers quickly ripped into the Beds top order, 3-3 and then 48-6, pace bowler Cameron Parsons taking four of the wickets. The lower order staged a recovery and took the side to 162 all out off 45 overs.

Bucks had a useful 102 run lead but collapsed in the second innings to 58-5, before a dogged 77 not out from debutant Ross Richardson, ably supported by Stephen Croft (46) and Cameron Parsons (43), saw Bucks to 242-7 declared. This set Beds an unlikely 345 to win but they batted very well, led by 86 from George Thurstance and 52 from James Kettleborough (any relation to Howard for the older fans?), and finished on 274-8.

I have to say I was disappointed that Bucks did not accelerate the scoring earlier in the second innings, to get 30 minutes or more bowling at Beds at the end of day two. That disappointment was compounded by Bucks not declaring overnight as expected, with the lead over 300. They batted on to a 344 lead, to unsettle Beds's plans I understand, but ran out of time to bowl them out.

It was a very enjoyable three days, with no rain interruptions, helped by the star of the show, the venue of Bedford School. The entire playing field was immaculately prepared, not a blade of dead grass anywhere on the many cricket pitches and surrounds. Equipment was new and expensive looking, there were 18 cricket nets in a row, groundsmen were endlessly cutting with hand mowers. This school is seriously well funded, fortunate to have wealthy backers it seems, a new, large electronic scoreboard donated by a supporter was one example. Lucky students, I know how state schools struggle financially. The pavilion was eye catching, unusual with its terraced seating. I tweeted some photos.

Full scorecard: https://buckscricket.play-cricket.com/website/results/4653310

The next three day game for Bucks is against Herts at Tring Park on 1, 2, 3 August, well worth coming to see.

Comments

• That's a five minute walk from where I now live, if I'd known I would have popped down and bought you a pint!

• All these pints piling up @drcongo (said he with selfish intent).

Thanks @Steve_Peart for a very interesting report.

• I've been saving up until I see you all again.

• @drcongo said:
    That's a five minute walk from where I now live, if I'd known I would have popped down and bought you a pint!

Shame @drcongo, I didn't think to publicise it as it was an away fixture. It was the first time I ever set foot in a public school, the facilities were a real eye opener. Would that all schools were funded so that sports facilities were up to scratch, especially cricket which requires more care and attention.

• Ditto @Steve_Peart. A real eye opener.

• There's a weird abundance of public schools round here. They don't all look like that one though.

• Bedford School has always been a top place for cricket, Former pupils include Alistair Cook, other current county players and many more.
    https://www.bedfordschool.org.uk/upper-school/sport/cricket/
    Clubs are now filling the gap in helping to develop new talent but there are fewer local clubs playing for which there are many reasons.