Skip to content

Summer transfer thread

Comments

• "depressed millionaires like Jordon Ibe" - way to talk about someone dealing with some serious issues

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    "depressed millionaires like Jordon Ibe" - way to talk about someone dealing with some serious issues

Right from the John Gregory 97 locker was that one.

• How much money do you need to make before you’re never depressed again?

• Don’t disagree with a lot of what you said but it didn’t stop Adeniran signing for Sheffield. Wednesday after being on loan and saying it was brilliant with us. I think we need to be realistic . Despite being more financially secure we still cannot compete with the big boys in our League.

OR we didn't offer a contract to Adeniran

• Twitter mumblings that Muskwe is having a medical at Luton.

• The point I was trying to make was that a depressed millionaire may consider the environment at Wycombe over and above the pay check on offer elsewhere.

• I accept that @Ed_ and I hope you're right but it didn't read that way to me at the time. Just shows how careful one needs to be when posting to avoid instant misunderstanding.

• @davecz > @davecz said:

@Ed_ said:

@davecz said

Despite being more financially secure we still cannot compete with the big boys in our League.

Does that mean you'll be cutting that Ainsworth some slack this season @davecz ?

• @Brownie said:
    Twitter mumblings that Muskwe is having a medical at Luton.

That would be very disappointing if this happens. All three loanees , Knight , Adeniran and now Muskwe who all played a major part in our Championship season have all left their parent Premiership clubs and signed for teams in the Championship. Relegation has hit us hard. With Uche, Fred and these three moving elsewhere, the pre season transfer window has not be great so far. Fingers crossed better news in the next few days and weeks.

• Players released from.the Premier league offered the chance and wanting to.play in the Championship and players in relegated teams offered the chance and wanting to stay in the Championship? Strangely this is no great surprise to me. Gareth explained quite clearly that the trimming of squads would give us a great opportunity to.pick up some quality players late in the Summer. I'm still confident he will.

• The flip side of losing some players from our Championship quality squad is that we still have most of a Championship quality squad left, in L1.

• We only need two or maybe 3 good signings and we can compete with anyone in this league.

Lincoln, Wigan and Ipswich appear to be making the big signings but as Gareth said, when the Premier League sides trim their squads there will be some quality loanees and possible signings available.

I am impatient and want someone in now but I also remember that Alfie Mawson came in on the morning of our first league game at Newport that season.

• Well there we go ??

• Poor Admiral.

• @drcongo said:
    Poor Admiral.

Indeed!

• I think Sullay played through the middle will be at least as effective as Admiral.

• edited July 2021

I suppose the Rev is strengthening with relatively cheap options with Championship experience. The Luton fans will be hoping for a push for the top this season I reckon. No idea about Admiral but I wonder if Fred will thrive in a somewhat more demanding and antagonistic atmosphere.

• @davecz said:

@Brownie said:

That would be very disappointing if this happens. All three loanees , Knight , Adeniran and now Muskwe who all played a major part in our Championship season have all left their parent Premiership clubs and signed for teams in the Championship. Relegation has hit us hard. With Uche, Fred and these three moving elsewhere, the pre season transfer window has not be great so far. Fingers crossed better news in the next few days and weeks.

I think that the key there is that all three played a major part in our Championship season. It is only logical that they would want to carry on playing at that level or for a 'bigger' club when they have been therefore and their improvement should be on upward trajectory.

I'm disappointed as well that we couldn't sign any of the three of them as well but I think we have been lulled by our excellent previous experience of signing ex-players to great effect and we had hoped it would happen again.

• @davecz said:

@Brownie said:

Wednesday (Adeniran) are in League 1 next year with us.

• But Wednesday also have a manager who shares GAs religious connections

• That’s not a ‘but’ is it, @bookertease ?

• Bigger club plus the religious aspect, Gotcha,

• Yep that was my lazy way of saying it

• Obviously nothing for us atheists ?

• As a Good Scottish mate back in the ‘sixties “Aye, armban atheist but arm a Protestant atheist”.

• Not armban yer Gozo - arm an.

• Actually, armban sounds about right @micra!

• Is that a macaroon or a meringue?

No, you're right, it's a macaroon.