Skip to content

Summer transfer thread

Comments

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Getting back to the day job of supporting Wycombe Wanderers, are we anticipating any incomings this week? Hopefully get our two new forwards and a cover centre back.

I’d like to hope we’ll see at least one transfer done this week.

• edited July 2021

Updated squad list - four senior spots left

• Surprised that Burley is still in limbo

• Yeah, looks like he's still training with us - and Gareth has spoken very highly of him before, so it seems a little strange that we haven't at least given him a year. Although I imagine he'll go out on loan if he does sign.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Updated squad list - four senior spots left

I wonder if something will happen with Freeman to give Ainsworth more flexibility.

• I keep forgetting about Pendlebury, there were some Reading fans speaking very highly of him on twitter at the time, sounded promising.

• Yeah, sounds like Sam Grace was extremely surprised Reading let him go.

• And I do see Freeman leaving, whether on loan again or otherwise, as I really don't see where he fits in now - and he needs regular football for the sake of his career.

• Might Orient sign Freeman, although looking on their forum he didn't seem to impress many.

• I see Orient have sold over 3,200 season tickets. Not bad.

• How many have we sold now?

• Ipswich just got much stronger. It brings home how hard it is to be competitive, but also how brilliantly we are run to be so competitive anyway!

• Not a surprise that he went to one of the Championship clubs that live in league 1.

• There are still a lot of sleeping giants in League One.

• For someone who apparently rejected our bid in Jan because he wanted a full season in the Championship, signing for Ipswich must be a bit of a reality check.

I suspect we won't know if we were in for him again this summer but following on from Adeniran (whom I'm sure we were) it does perhaps indicate that we're not likely to be offering wages at the higher end of the League One spectrum. So which pool of strikers are we more likely to be looking to given we clearly have to sign at least one - proven non league scorers or Premier League development squads?

• Perhaps there are a few players who will be having a reality check and Gareth has his eye on them?

• @Wendoverman said:
    Perhaps there are a few players who will be having a reality check and Gareth has his eye on them?

I agree this is most likely. It is going to be a game of musical chairs, and we are in the position of sometimes having to wait for the music to stop and see who is accepting reality.

• Paul Mullin is somebody who I’d imagine we’d potentially look at but according to yesterday’s papers Middlesbrough, PNE and Charlton are in for him, so looks unlikely that’ll be someone we’ll be signing.

• edited July 2021

Mullin played in a system very heavily tailored to him at Cambridge and would need the right partner. The target man is more important anyway, and if we can bring in someone as a Muskwe 'replacement' then great - but we have at least got Kashket, so while we need cover in that role it's not as pressing a need.

• Plenty of time yet. Euros not even 24 hours behind us. Premiership merry go round not kicked in yet. Loans not quite ready to ship out the cream of the crop yet. Players recently released still have a few quid in their pockets.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Mullin played in a system very heavily tailored to him at Cambridge and would need the right partner. The target man is more important anyway, and if we can bring in someone as a Muskwe 'replacement' then great - but we have at least got Kashket, so while we need cover in that role it's not as pressing a need.

Would you say Muskwe would be the dream signing this summer? (If it could happen)

• @DPR38 said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Would you say Muskwe would be the dream signing this summer? (If it could happen)

Dream because I don't think we'll get anywhere near him - but never say never! He could come down with Leicester for the friendly and realise how much he loves the place...

• Uche and Tafazoli were dream signings last summer. Just hope we pay for next day delivery this season

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Uche and Tafazoli were dream signings last summer. Just hope we pay for next day delivery this season

It must be heartbreaking to GA to have bought so wisely at the start of last season, only to lose such key players for the first half.

• Mullin was absolutely exceptional for Cambridge last season - as testified by his 34 goals. He’s a player that’s got pretty much everything and it would be incredible to land him for free - but unlikely.

I would imagine he’ll get several more appealing offers from Championship clubs or the bigger League One clubs.

Doesn’t look like Max Biamou has landed anywhere yet, I’d have thought he’s a bit more likely to end up at AP. Again, a decent free signing and loved by the fans at his previous club which is never a bad sign. Decent age (30) although not prolific in front of goal.

Not a huge number of other alternatives around for the, oh so important, number 9 role. Although I have absolute faith in Gareth to find us what we need.

• I do like the romanticism of plucking a player from non-League - maybe Linton could emerge for us, who knows - but I feel like we might be pleasantly surprised by the stature of Uche's successor (hopefully physically too!).

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Plenty of time yet. Euros not even 24 hours behind us. Premiership merry go round not kicked in yet. Loans not quite ready to ship out the cream of the crop yet. Players recently released still have a few quid in their pockets.

I love it when the Premiership merry go round kicks in

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I do like the romanticism of plucking a player from non-League - maybe Linton could emerge for us, who knows - but I feel like we might be pleasantly surprised by the stature of Uche's successor (hopefully physically too!).

Have you got any inside information to share then @ReturnToSenda? You are always well up to date with developments.

• In one of the training pics today there is a guy who looks very much like the giant Solihull Moors striker Kyle Hudlin - https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/the72.co.uk/237390/sheffield-wednesday-reporter-delivers-verdict-on-solihull-moors-striker-kyle-hudlin/amp/

Would make sense as a possible replacement for Uche