Skip to content

Summer transfer thread

Comments

• He was under contract so would have been a fee. I'd have liked us to go in for him, but I think I rather overestimated how much we can pay in terms of wages!

• Oh well plenty more fish. My guess is we’ll start to see signings next week

• Wigan, Ipswich, Lincoln and Sunderland all seem to be spending or attempting to spend big money.

• Burton are having a hell of a summer. Expect them to be in the mix.

• Sunderland and Portsmouth are classic case studies about not being able to buy your way out of this league. Wigan are recruiting good players for sure but it don’t count for nothing if they don’t gel.

• @MorrisItal_ said:

@DPR38 said:
    I’ve seen a few people mention on Twitter saying they’d like us to sign Stephen Humphrys from Rochdale, well tonight Wigan have snapped him up.

I can’t see if Wigan paid anything or was Humphrys on a free

On BBC it says undisclosed

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Burton are having a hell of a summer. Expect them to be in the mix.

I thought this too, I think they'll be in the mix Jimmy's done it before with them.

• I believe that Jack Wakely released by Chelsea (noticed in a training photo the other day) was one of the trialists CBs. Number 26 I think.

Agree with the comment about the Chesham left winger in the 2nd half, he looked best player on the pitch. Number 17. Pretty sure he's only a trialist too, or at least Chesham haven't announced his signing.

• @Croider said:
    I believe that Jack Wakely released by Chelsea (noticed in a training photo the other day) was one of the trialists CBs. Number 26 I think.

Agree with the comment about the Chesham left winger in the 2nd half, he looked best player on the pitch. Number 17. Pretty sure he's only a trialist too, or at least Chesham haven't announced his signing.

Interestingly, he was born in High Wycombe so maybe it's something to do with that

• One of the main reasons I am not so optimistic that we will finish top six is that the division is absolutely loaded (in theory). Besides us, the following clubs must have serious aspirations of promotion:

Sunderland
    Ipswich
    Doncaster
    Lincoln
    Bolton
    Burton
    Wigan
    Charlton
    Sheffield Wednesday
    Rotherham
    Oxford
    Portsmouth

Have I missed anyone? That's twelve legitimate contenders, not to mention the possibility of someone like a Gillingham being feisty.

It may work in our favour - everyone beats everyone and we finish in the top two. Also, being a contenders on paper is very different than on the pitch. But this may be the most loaded this division has ever been!

• We will know what sort of chance we have of getting into the top 6 by the end of Sept. we play quite a few of the top teams that month.

• As @Shev points out...a very strong league. Going to be exciting innit...especially as perennial promotion favourites Sunderland, Ipswich, Portsmouth and Oxford failed to get out of L1 AGAIN!!

• @Shev , we certainly need a little bit of a reality check for certain.

We've only had a couple of seasons in league 1 in recent years, the first one we just about stayed up, and the second one from Christmas onwards we had a real dip.

Since the end of last season, we've lost 3 loanees, Fred and Uche, and replaced them with Scowen. And have no source of regular goals now.

Gareth will get us competing for sure, but i don't think anyone can have any real confidence it'll be real top end stuff based on the above.

• I would add Fleetwood to your list @Shev

• Might have been mentioned before but Adeniran to Sheff Wed.

• I'm sure Plymouth fans think they're going to win the league.

• I e just online about the amount of clubs that have a transfer embargo at the moment ! Sheffield Wednesday, Fleetwood and Gillingham in league one, Derby, Hull and Reading in Championship, Oldham, Swindon and Scunthorpe in league Two. Can only sign free transfers, or loans for no more than 6 months

• "I've just read " ... I meant obviously

• Much as I would love to be doing early business and getting some exciting names in the merry go round hasn’t really started yet. And with precarious football finances as they are there are plenty of rich pickings out there still. Remember we signed McClearly long after the transfer window, he worked out ok.

• Couple of names from last night if anyone is interested
    Ethan Dekel-Daks (scored) ex forest
    Gabby Rogers ex Yeovil

• This tweet here provides some insights of some of the Trialists its seems. Comment section mentions some other names too.

• If we pass on a guy called Dekel-Daks we don’t deserve promotion.

• His parents missed a trick not calling him Derek.

• Or Deke

• Or Dalek

• Dickie?

• Dickie Dekel-Daks surely has to be the winner. “Suits you, sir”.

• Getting back to the day job of supporting Wycombe Wanderers, are we anticipating any incomings this week? Hopefully get our two new forwards and a cover centre back.

• And maybe we could give young Jordon Ibe a chance to get his career back on track.