Skip to content

Euros General Thread

Comments

• @Shev said:
    @TheDancingYak - you'll be posting way into the night, then. My comment was on why the shootout was lost. Which did actually happened. You took it a different way, so I explained my intent. If that is beyond your comprehension, feel free to keep coming at me. I have not been aggressive towards you at all, so I have no idea what is bringing this on? Was it something I said on a different thread?

No, it’s literally you’re laughable “I’m not looking to throw anyone under the bus after you have pushed someone under it abs driven it backwards abs forwards yourself”.

You’re looking for someone to blame. I get it. But sometimes there just isn’t.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Would it be fair to say Italy were just a bit too streetwise for our young Lions?

Yeah. England were a nice bunch of lads painting rainbows on their faces. Italy were the bad guys in spaghetti westerns.

• edited July 2021

@Shev said:
    @TheDancingYak - you'll be posting way into the night, then. My comment was on why the shootout was lost. Which did actually happened. You took it a different way, so I explained my intent. If that is beyond your comprehension, feel free to keep coming at me. I have not been aggressive towards you at all, so I have no idea what is bringing this on? Was it something I said on a different thread?

I think you let yourself down on the initial Rashford comment if I am honest. I appreciate your stats based slant on the game but penalty shoot outs are a team responsibility for me and no blame should ever be placed on an individual. It's as much about those who don't step up as those who do.

• edited July 2021

@TheDancingYak said:
    For clarity - you could have easily made you point of “well of course, missing the first one puts pressure on the others”.

But no, you had to name him and make a comment about his run up like that has anything to do with it.

You have the same issue with Jorginhos?

These players are not anonymous - they just missed penalties in front of millions. Naming him just clarified which penalty I felt was the most damaging (and still do). Calling it 'Penalty number 3' to avoid using his name would be bizarre! I feel like it was a case of dominoes. I have seen Rashford take so much better, more deliberate penalties that it all felt very strange.

Yes, I do not like how Jorginho takes them - and he missed too! If Italy lost I am sure not many would be pleased from their side. I don't like that runup from anyone!

• Italy are 34 games unbeaten and were the best team ( apart from us☺) in the tournament. Really pleased we made the final and it was a good game though losing on pens is gutting but we are making progress on the pitch. Now bring on Accrington.

• I have to say that run up was the most extraordinary I have ever seen.

• @Shev said:

@TheDancingYak said:
    For clarity - you could have easily made you point of “well of course, missing the first one puts pressure on the others”.

But no, you had to name him and make a comment about his run up like that has anything to do with it.

These players are not anonymous - they just missed penalties in front of millions. Naming him just clarified which penalty I felt was the most damaging (and still do). Calling it 'Penalty number 3' to avoid using his name would be bizarre! I feel like it was a case of dominoes. I have seen Rashford take so much better, more deliberate penalties that it all felt very strange.

Yes, I do not like how Jorginho takes them - and he missed too! If Italy lost I am sure not many would be pleased from their side. I don't like that runup from anyone!

Out of interest @Shev have you ever taken a penalty and if so did you have a plan before leaving the centre circle? You seem very well informed on these things so would love to know the background.

• @Shev said:

@Kim_il_Swan said:
    Oh boy....I've just seen people making posts about the skin colour of the players who missed penalties.......oh no.

After you commented on the religion of someone who missed, I think your moral high ground is pretty hilarious, mate.

I don't think race, religion, or any such thing should be brought into it.

He's a spoof poster. Just ignore.

• @TheDancingYak said:

@Shev said:

No, it’s literally you’re laughable “I’m not looking to throw anyone under the bus after you have pushed someone under it abs driven it backwards abs forwards yourself”.

You’re looking for someone to blame. I get it. But sometimes there just isn’t.

So I make a comment on someone's penalty (who could care less about me) and it is something I need to apologize to you for, but you keep this weird aggressive personal thing towards me and it is fine? I really don't get what your issue is. I try and act on this forum like I would in real life. I am not sure what your issue is with me but I am willing to discuss it calmly. Internet forums are an unseemly place for personal vendettas.

• @Shev said:

@TheDancingYak said:

The point is everyone would have known what you’re talking about without needing to name the first person that did miss.

About 30 million people would have known.

But saying there name and saying they were primarily at fault is about as a night and day bus throwing incident as you can get.

At this stage, I’m fairly sure you don’t even know what “I’m not trying to throw anyone under the bus” means.

Out of interest @Shev have you ever taken a penalty and if so did you have a plan before leaving the centre circle? You seem very well informed on these things so would love to know the background.

I have taken penalties and did so with intent, but not for England, so you have that against me. I am not sure how that is relevant, though?

• edited July 2021

@TheDancingYak said:

@Shev said:

@TheDancingYak said:

The point is everyone would have known what you’re talking about without needing to name the first person that did miss.

But saying there name and saying they were primarily at fault is about as a night and day bus throwing incident as you can get.

At this stage, I’m fairly sure you don’t even know what “I’m not trying to throw anyone under the bus” means.

So you will drop your strange aggressive behaviour if I change my opinion to 'Penalty Number Three'? Happy to do it mate!

• Wendoverman or is it wokedoverman.
    You miss my intended meaning.
    The footballers are treated in a god like heroic way for kicking a ball and are paid handsomely to do so.
    The fallen who gave their lives are heroic.
    Let's put everything in the right perspective.

• @micra said:
    I have to say that run up was the most extraordinary I have ever seen.

Find that hard to believe. I bet you've seen many more extraordinary things in your rich and successful life.

To be honest though a bowler in a cricket match would have aborted and started again with a run up like that.

• Cruel cruel manner of defeat.
    But no-one expected us to get this far.

We truly lived the dream for an hour tonight, but unfortunately Southgate's natural tendency to go cautious just wasn't enough to see it through.

Such a bench of attackers and we end up bringing on two of them with 2mins to go, barely touching the ball, and then they have the pressure of knowing they've been brought on just for pens.

Cruel.
    It seemed fate Jorginho would win it for them, having got away with a criminal and obvious red card that for some reason wasn't even looked at twice.

Then when he missed I think most of the country forgot we had to score just to stay in it. Of course missing, and then having that horrible come down.

And to think some people would have easily swapped a win against Accy for us losing tonight!

@micra said:

Find that hard to believe. I bet you've seen many more extraordinary things in your rich and successful life.

To be honest though a bowler in a cricket match would have aborted and started again with a run up like that.

Is that a desperate attempt at humour @rightin the middle? What the feck do you knowabout my lufe?

• @Malone said:

@Shev said:

@Kim_il_Swan said:
    Oh boy....I've just seen people making posts about the skin colour of the players who missed penalties.......oh no.

After you commented on the religion of someone who missed, I think your moral high ground is pretty hilarious, mate.

I don't think race, religion, or any such thing should be brought into it.

He's a spoof poster. Just ignore.

No I'm not. But I realise that senile old cunts can't tell the difference between jokey and spoof.

• @Shev said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@Shev said:

@TheDancingYak said:

So you will drop your strange aggressive behaviour if I change my opinion to 'Penalty Number Three'? Happy to do it mate!

Well I apologies if you think this has been aggressive.
    I called you out when I think you’re wrong. Maybe you’re not used to that.

Perhaps the next time there a group of people that just falls short you don’t try the “I’m not trying to blame anyone in particular, but it’s person X’s fault because of reason y””

• @Shev said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

I have taken penalties and did so with intent, but not for England, so you have that against me. I am not sure how that is relevant, though?

Just interested. You sound like some sort of penalty guru tonight. The sort of insight that could make you rich. Intent suggests some are trying hard to score than others.
    I just had a shootout down as a lottery that differentiates winning and losing in a far more massive way than the reality of the drawn match that goes before.

• Does anyone think that having the home advantage worked against us when it came to penalties? The expectation level would have been extremely high.
    TBH you've got to have some sphericals as a teenager to offer to take them against that giant in front of 60000 fans!

• @EwanHoosaami said:

TBH you've got to have some sphericals as a teenager to offer to take them against that giant in front of 60000 fans!

Amen to that. Saka should hold his head up high.

• @micra said:

@micra said:

Is that a desperate attempt at humour @rightin the middle? What the feck do you knowabout my lufe?

It was a compliment but I'll retreat again after your foul mouthed rudeness. It's a while since I've posted much and had genuinely forgotten how much you abuse my posts. I am sorry and you will here from me no more.

• We were totally in control first half, and we shouldn't have sat back and tried to defend the whole.of the 2nd half, came back to haunt us, still didn't expect to get to the final so we'll done ro the boys..

As for @Kim_il_Swan .. never seen you post so much... fuck off you Scottish prick, how sad are you that the highlight of your night is to come on and take the piss out of the English

• @TheDancingYak said:

@Shev said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@Shev said:

@TheDancingYak said:

Perhaps the next time there a group of people that just falls short you don’t try the “I’m not trying to blame anyone in particular, but it’s person X’s fault because of reason y””

I am fine with it, but you see, I held out an olive branch, seeing as you took it in a personal way, and you slapped it away and kept coming at me. That's why I took it as maybe something more personal - I am certainly well aware I have made annoying posts on plenty of other threads. Just ask anyone who is not sold on Nick Freeman!

The reason why the overall argument is strange to me is that when Wycombe lose, there are often many comments about why, many of which would constitute "throwing under the bus", as they name a player who did not play well, or made a critical mistake. Scott Brown and Ryan Allsop have been called out many a time for not coming off their line, for instance! I can't think of a player who has not been "thrown under the bus" ay one time or another based purely on how they performed. Yet I have no recollection of that roiling anyone - it just seems part of how fans process a match.

Rashford seems like a decent human being who has a lot going for him off the pitch as well as on it - perhaps the most popular player in the country! I am sure he can handle footballing criticism. I am sure he is not thrilled with the runup himself!

• edited July 2021

@Shev said:

Just interested. You sound like some sort of penalty guru tonight. The sort of insight that could make you rich. Intent suggests some are trying hard to score than others.
    I just had a shootout down as a lottery that differentiates winning and losing in a far more massive way than the reality of the drawn match that goes before.

A lottery is completely down to chance. Penalty taking is an exercise of skill with fine margins of error. A lottery would be each player randomly drawing tickets with a green tick or red x on it. Also, England have lost 2 of 9 shootouts in major tournaments, while Germany have almost always won. That doesn't sound very lottery-ish.

As with the other poster who is upset with me here, I assume you use your own measure on yourself and refrain from ever commenting on Wycombe games lest you be seen as holding yourself out as an expert?

• @deanoblue said:
    Wendoverman or is it wokedoverman.
    You miss my intended meaning.
    The footballers are treated in a god like heroic way for kicking a ball and are paid handsomely to do so.
    The fallen who gave their lives are heroic.
    Let's put everything in the right perspective.

I thought that was exactly your meaning...i.think perhaps you.missed mine.
    There can be heroes in every walk of life. Science. Health. The police. Perhaps they have not thrown themselves on a hun grenade to save their platoon tonight but this is a football forum in which some people may consider players heroes in the context of the game of football @deanoblue (or is it @gammonoblue ?) I could be wrong bit I think everyone on here has a proper sense of perspective.

• @Shev said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@Shev said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@Shev said:

@TheDancingYak said:

I am fine with it, but you see, I held out an olive branch, seeing as you took it in a personal way, and you slapped it away and kept coming at me. That's why I took it as maybe something more personal - I am certainly well aware I have made annoying posts on plenty of other threads. Just ask anyone who is not sold on Nick Freeman!

The reason why the overall argument is strange to me is that when Wycombe lose, there are often many comments about why, many of which would constitute "throwing under the bus", as they name a player who did not play well, or made a critical mistake. Scott Brown and Ryan Allsop have been called out many a time for not coming off their line, for instance! I can't think of a player who has not been "thrown under the bus" ay one time or another based purely on how they performed. Yet I have no recollection of that roiling anyone - it just seems part of how fans process a match.

Rashford seems like a decent human being who has a lot going for him off the pitch as well as on it - perhaps the most popular player in the country! I am sure he can handle footballing criticism. I am sure he is not thrilled with the runup himself!

You didn’t hold out an olive branch. You doubled down on claiming you weren’t trying to throw someone under the bus when you obviously and then attempted to take the high ground by saying you would step away from the argument. You only the. Started to change your tune when someone else highlight you might have been a bit wrong.

Your now trying to roll around looking for a penalty saying I got personal, which I don’t think I have. But I would class that as saying something about you personally, rather than highlight the inconsistency in you public post

Anyway, I’m taking the high ground now and said what I have needed to say. Toodle pip

• edited July 2021

@TheDancingYak - I believe I have explained myself calmly and lucidly. I have not backed away from any of your questions, but you have ignored my responses. I explained from the start that footballing criticism is different from "throwing someone under the bus" personally. You don't like that answer, fine! We all have different perspectives. However, if footballing criticism is throwing someone under the bus, you are going to have a tough season policing the Gasroom, I promise you!

The personal aspect is not accusations of anything abusive or insulting, but that in a tournament where many criticisms have been made about many players (and managers) and on a forum where we all break down Wycombe both positively and (at times) negatively, you for some reason kept coming back at me. So, seeing as you have not behaved this way towards anyone else, it follows that it might be something personal, such as a dislike based on other posts, which I can certainly handle.

• Some fairly unnecessarily personal in-fighting on here, which is unusual as bar the (entertaining) long-standing feuds we are generally a respectful bunch. I guess for some people losing this one game does really hurt and the emotions are raw.

So we lost. But Italy proved in the end to be the better team and we did well to take them to penalties.

I shall remember however just how good we were in that first 15 minutes - we looked like a world class team and full credit for that.

A final reflection on the penalties (5 missed penalties out of 10 probably does show the effect of pressure):

In fairness to Rashford the run-up worked, it was the execution of the shot that didn’t and I wonder whether that shot hitting the post played on Sancho and Saka’s minds a little to the extent they played it a little safer towards the middle of the goal than they may otherwise have done?

I’m sorry we lost but I still didn’t feel anywhere near as bad as I do when Wycombe lose a game.

• What a shame the so called fans causes a lot of unrest in London last night with a number of police getting injured. There was also a group trying to break into Wembley. Add to that the booing etc and it all adds up to a disgraceful end to what was an excellent footballing tournament.
    It is no wonder that the Europeans dislike us so. Shameful thuggery.