Skip to content

Euros General Thread

Comments

• Indeed. Met my current wife in the Antelope. When I moved back to Wycombe in the early 90s it was a cracking pub and actually had a guy who knew how to look after the beer as well.

Fond memories and still sometimes go for a pre-match pint - although it’s been a while since the beer was that good

• Tripper replacing Saka to make it 8 primarily defensive players and 3 attackers. Everybody close your eyes and repeat: "I believe in Southgate, I believe in Southgate...."

• @Shev said:
    Tripper replacing Saka to make it 8 primarily defensive players and 3 attackers. Everybody close your eyes and repeat: "I believe in Southgate, I believe in Southgate...."

He's going for the "best set of attackers ever left on the bench to win a title" award. Clearly.

• The funny thing is, I still think we are going to win!

• Just not in 90.

• If we win, I can't wait to see what the iconic image is. I would argue that the top four England images from 1966 onwards have been:

1. Hurst hitting the final goal in 1966.
    2. Moore lifting the Jules Rimet, 1966.
    3. Moore and Pele swapping shirts, 1970.
    4. Gazza crying, 1990.

There have been other memorable images, such as the hand of the devil in 1986, but I regard that more as a Cheating Argentina image than an England one.

If we do win (and maybe even if we lose) a preeminent image will surely be added to the small pantheon.

• @Shev said:
    If we win, I can't wait to see what the iconic image is.

Judging by twitter, it'll be that bloke with a flare up his arse.

• @Shev said:
    If we win, I can't wait to see what the iconic image is. I would argue that the top four England images from 1966 onwards have been:

1. Hurst hitting the final goal in 1966.
    2. Moore lifting the Jules Rimet, 1966.
    3. Moore and Pele swapping shirts, 1970.
    4. Gazza crying, 1990.

There have been other memorable images, such as the hand of the devil in 1986, but I regard that more as a Cheating Argentina image than an England one.

If we do win (and maybe even if we lose) a preeminent image will surely be added to the small pantheon.

Grealish, arguably the most naturally gifted English player, sitting on the bench, having played 13mins but been sacrificed to see a game out.

• No country has won the Eurovision song contest and the European championship in the same year.

Italy won the Eurovision this year (apparently) do tell me if I'm clutching at straws.

I know it's over 55 years of hurt but for Christ's sake, if everyone is there, can't we kick off earlier?

It does seem an interminable wait, time seems to drag its slovenly hoof in a manner reminiscent of Michael Duberry away at Carrow Road.

Latest news on twitter: Possible delay to kick-off as Immobile snagged a nail in the warm-up, just hope we don't see someone drop to the floor during the anthems.

Not as important as Torquay (A) in May 2014 where we went to pay our final respects.

And where Lazarus rose from the dead (no idea if this is accurate.)

• I think I prefer your conspiracy theory posts Mr Carrots.

• @NiceCarrots so you want to deny our brave boys the time to trash central London before kick-off. Selfish.

• Get in!!!!!!

• An Ainsworth performance from England so far. Not sure what Mount has done to stay on the pitch but who knows.

• And like a Wycombe game...I never like an early goal!

• How on earth is that not a red? ?

• What the feck. Rashford.

• What the feck. Sancho.

• What can we say.

• You can say we’re crap at penalties

• Great effort.

• Get RASHFORD back to his food deliveries

• @bookertease said:
    You can say we’re crap at penalties

Yup. But you should have a good run in Qatar.

• You don't put a 19-year-old on the fifth kick

• edited July 2021

Rashford primarily lost us the shootout. His piddly hopping-round-the-garden runup and inaccuracy heaped the pressure on the players that followed.

Overall, a good tournament, but you live by the Southgate, die by the Southgate. Everyone has been kissing his behind for sticking to his conservative guns. Welp...we had a 1-0 lead with 25 minutes to go and Italy piling on the pressure, and just tried to hold out for 1-0. It was there for the taking with a bit of backbone. Once some fresh attacking legs came on we looked much better in ET. Too little, too late.

• @Shev said:
    Rashford primarily lost us the shootout.

Rashford's a devout Christian. Maybe one day......

• @Kim_il_Swan said:

@Shev said:

Really not sure what that has to do with it.

• Great effort by the team. Penalty shootouts are cruel but better than tossing a coin.
    Pickford saved 2 and would rightly think he did enough.
    Great tournament and now onward to our 21/22 promotion season.

• edited July 2021

@Shev said:

@Kim_il_Swan said:

@Shev said:

Really not sure what that has to do with it.

The Ganesha in the room is that Wycombe have a lot of religious players. Maybe one day Rashford will join Gareth's disciples.

• Sometimes I hate it when my predictions come true.

Beat team of the night and the tournament won it though.

Can’t help but feel for the kid saka though. I hope he goes on to have a massive career given the stones it took to step up in the 5th slot.

• *but the team of the night