Skip to content

Euros General Thread

Comments

• @Malone said:

@bookertease said:
    As a hypothetical question, if you had to choose between a win for England tomorrow or 3 points for us in the first game against Accrington, is there anyone English, other than me, who would opt for the latter.

I do want us to beat Italy but I know I would feel far worse if Accrington beat us than if we do come up short tomorrow

Are you serious?
    You'd sacrifice a once in a lifetime national tournament victory, for one game out of 46 in a league season?!

I know. I will of course celebrate if we win, but the trouble is I really don’t think I will be that down if we don’t, certainly not as down as when Wycombe lose.

I accept I’m very much in a minority here!

• @bookertease - I don’t think you are in a minority.

• I'm with you @bookertease

• edited July 2021

@bigred87 said:
    I've realised I know absolutely nothing about football... I had zero confidence in Southgate....

One of my best mates who worked for the Premiere League and been in & around the game for near 50 years as a player, assistant manager and rep for the PL said he was the wrong choice & wouldn't be any good. So don't put yourself down @bigred87!

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@bigred87 said:
    I've realised I know absolutely nothing about football... I had zero confidence in Southgate....

One of my best mates who worked for the Premiere League and been in & around the game for near 50 years as a player, assistant manager and rep for the PL said he was the wrong choice & wouldn't be any good. So don't put yourself down @bigred87!

I think almost every forum anywhere was moaning about Southgate and his "negative" approach and ruining our generation of attacking talent.

But then Bobby Robson had similar criticisms to deal with (albeit not online!) and emerged as a hero too.

• @drcongo said:
    I'm with you @bookertease

So am I.

• I remember the reaction after England drew with Scotland. ‘We’re crap….boring football…..Southgate has got to go’ etc. Those same people are now repeating that irritating ‘it’s coming home’ slogan ad nauseam.
    I shudder to think what the reaction will be if Italy win tomorrow.

• @glasshalffull Football fans wouldn't be football fans if they weren't terribly fickle.

• I think most people will understand that reaching the final is an achievement in itself and that Italy are good team.

I'm surprised at the number of posters who would rather Wycombe beat Accrington than England win the European Championship for the first time.

• @Chris said:
    I think most people will understand that reaching the final is an achievement in itself and that Italy are good team.

I'm surprised at the number of posters who would rather Wycombe beat Accrington than England win the European Championship for the first time.

I know, unbelievable

• I still don't like the style, but have to doff my cap to the results. Plenty of teams have won major tournaments by being pragmatic, so I certainly won't lose sleep over it! There have also been bursts of exceptional play, especially in the last couple of games.

I guess it all shows why Southgate is manager and I am not. All this time I had thought it was because my application was filled out with a crayon...

• @HolmerBlue said:

@Chris said:
    I think most people will understand that reaching the final is an achievement in itself and that Italy are good team.

I know, unbelievable

It’s a bit daft tho isn’t it? I want England to beat Italy and Wycombe to beat Accrington. I don’t have to choose. No one does.

• I want England to lose to Accrington, but that's the Scotland fan in me.....

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    @glasshalffull Football fans wouldn't be football fans if they weren't terribly fickle.

You’re right of course, but it still mystifies me why some people overreact to a single game without looking at the bigger picture.

• Especially considering we needed a draw from that game to qualify, and we never looked like losing.

• edited July 2021

I was one of the ones having a whinge after the Scotland game, but I'm glad to admit I got Southgate wrong.

• Papas got a brand new pigbag by pigbag, no lyrics but quite rousing.

• edited July 2021

I've never been so pumped for a game in my life.

And I am SHITTING it.

• I never fail to be amazed at the utter moronic behavior of some. We seem to have a parenting problem in the UK that manifests itself in disrespectful, aggressive and embarrassing actions. There have been comments elsewhere about Brexit and Tory inspired nationalism but this kind of behavior has always been prevalent around football irrespective of politics. To me it stems from poor parenting and the lack of respect/discipline that it breeds. Sunday Rant over!

• It's not just us to be fair, I've seen lots of stories online about English families and fans getting abused in Denmark and Italy, but of course they don't always make the news.

Of course I'm not standing up for our idiots that do it I should add !! It's moronic behaviour, and so sad to see.

• In any large group of people you'll get a proportion of imbeciles. Football just allows those imbeciles the opportunity to be particularly loud about their imbecility.

• @HolmerBlue those people should get in touch with the Express or the Mail...they would and have taken great delight in reporting on foreigners abusing Brits...or being upset about losing. If you are talking about those lefty Tv news organisations legally they have to have a few more fact checks than the papers. Thus you never saw 'Eastern European Driver throws boy in England shirt off bus...' on the telly.?

• edited July 2021

The idea of queueing for hours, to then spend 10 or so hours in the antelope is truly incredible.

• edited July 2021

I don't think I've ever set foot in that place sober. I can't even begin to comprehend how sticky the floor will be by this evening.

• More people learned to swim in the antelope toilets than they did at Handy x !!

• Obviously all down to bad parenting!????

• @glasshalffull said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    @glasshalffull Football fans wouldn't be football fans if they weren't terribly fickle.

You’re right of course, but it still mystifies me why some people overreact to a single game without looking at the bigger picture.

Are you new to the Gasroom?☺

• Several happy memories from the Antelope, but none of them after my twentieth birthday!