Skip to content

Summer transfer thread

Comments

• Hopefully someone at Chesham tonight will be able to identify ‘Trialist GK.’

• I imagine we'll get another 'senior' GK in - not going to loan someone in to sit on the bench.

• I would have liked to have seen Curtis stay and maybe get some minutes throughout the season. This begs the question does this mean we are going to sacrifice one of our precious squad places for a goalkeeper over 21 or sign someone under the age of 21? The latter would seem it bit backwards if we intend to give another clubs youth prospect some minutes when we could do so with our own.

• @DPR38 said:
    I would have liked to have seen Curtis stay and maybe get some minutes throughout the season. This begs the question does this mean we are going to sacrifice one of our precious squad places for a goalkeeper over 21 or sign someone under the age of 21? The latter would seem it bit backwards if we intend to give another clubs youth prospect some minutes when we could do so with our own.

The term 'some minutes' is a horrible one isn't it? Heard it a fair bit during the Euro's commentary having managed to exist without it up to now. Is this a new term?
    Getting 'minutes' surely just implies being on the pitch and nothing about actually contributing.

• Curt is presumably not in a position to really challenge Stockdale yet, whereas an U21 premier league loanee would be. I’d be very surprised if we signed another permanent keeper, or someone over the age of 21.

• If we bring in a development team GK who is U21 then they can sit on the bench without using up a valuable space in the squad. It would also allow us to bring in an emergency loan keeper to cover should Stockdale get injured. Certainly how we used to operate, be interesting to see which way we go with this

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@DPR38 said:
    I would have liked to have seen Curtis stay and maybe get some minutes throughout the season. This begs the question does this mean we are going to sacrifice one of our precious squad places for a goalkeeper over 21 or sign someone under the age of 21? The latter would seem it bit backwards if we intend to give another clubs youth prospect some minutes when we could do so with our own.

The term 'some minutes' is a horrible one isn't it? Heard it a fair bit during the Euro's commentary having managed to exist without it up to now. Is this a new term?
    Getting 'minutes' surely just implies being on the pitch and nothing about actually contributing.

Haha it’s a very prominent phrase in football nowadays, just a different way of saying ‘give him some game time’. Personally I would have thought it’d be a good idea to let him stay and play in the prestigious Papa Johns Trophy, allowing stocko some rest and to give Curtis some match experience.

• ‘Rather cashed up’ is a wonderful expression @StrongestTeam.

• Maybe Jamal Blackman is coming back?

• Maybe Allsop is...

• @aloysius said:
    Maybe Allsop is...

That would be very strange, I would like to see a keeper that could be potentially better that Stocky, rather than going back to an inferior one.
    A bit like the second coming of Peter Spittle !!

• edited July 2021

We just need someone reliable who's content to sit on the bench - assuming we see a future for Anderson here, possibly a veteran free agent on a one-year deal. Only issue is that eats up a squad space I think we assumed wouldn't be.

• I've lost track of these young keepers. We shipped that Cameron lad off, this ex Man City guy has gone on loan. Was there a 3rd young keeper knocking about as well, whose name I'm forgetting?

• @Malone There was Henry Newcombe, but he was never registered.

• edited July 2021

@ReturnToSenda said:
    We just need someone reliable who's content to sit on the bench - assuming we see a future for Anderson here, possibly a veteran free agent on a one-year deal. Only issue is that eats up a squad space I think we assumed wouldn't be.

Frank Fielding is a free agent and might fit the bill.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

Frank Fielding is a free agent and might fit the bill.

Two ex England squad goalies would be quite something for ‘little’ Wycombe.

• Get Barry Richardson back, he could bring that little bit of experience (and, hopefully Matt Ingram) and never conceded a goal playing for the mighty Chairboys.

The stats speak for themselves and a lovely, lovely chap.

Hull have got issues, financial as well as cultural, perfect fresh start for all parties.

• Anybody at the Chesham game right now? If so, do you recognise a single Wycombe player? I don’t!

• I think they said it would be development squad and development squad triallists. Let us know if you see the next Mehmeti!

• 1-1 at half-time. Enjoyable game. Wycombe look to play from back. Chesham had a v strong spell mid half and deserved to go ahead with the excellent goal they scored. Wycombe scored just before the break with a bending shot into bottom corner by 11 - bit of a Kashket clone. Blond 10 made a fair impression as holding midfielder. He’s off for second half which has just started. Chesham
    With an almost completely new eleven. Decent ref, pleasant evening. All rightish with world.

• @HCblue said:
    Anybody at the Chesham game right now? If so, do you recognise a single Wycombe player? I don’t!

Yes. and No. They are all trialists for the dev team I believe. And my knowledge of released Prem u-23 players is very limited.

The bar has a customer Chesham Rebellion on tap though, the sun is out (well it's not raining) and it's a fine thing to be out at the footy.

There was a blonde guy in midfield who looked quite good before coming off. The goalie is a good shouter but didn't do great for their goal. Our goal was lovely but I have no idea who was involved.

With this insight I could do Jenas's job on Sunday. You are welcome.

• Full time report.

It turned out that the queue for the bar took up a good portion of the second half.

• With the bar being hit so many times it must have been a thrilling game!

(My apologies).

• edited July 2021

Chesham changed all eleven, I think. Wycombe nowhere near as many changes. They had four or five subs in total, I think. Not sure if they used them all though I think they did when CF went off injured midway through second half. After looking good in the opening ten minutes of the half, Blues did little and Chesham were the only side who looked like they might score with Blues keeper making one good save to keep them out. In truth, little action in the second half - a little dull compared to the first half. Blues seemed not to be trying to create anything for last fifteen minutes. An enjoyable, relaxed evening nonetheless.

No-one tore it up for us. 7 was very confident on the ball in midfield and could pick a pass nicely. 11 might be disappointed with his second half if his chance of getting a deal depended on it - really no idea who anyone was - having scored a cracker in the first half and looking lively. A couple of big, strong CDs were OK, right back looked good at times though had a tough time with the accomplished-looking Chesham winger in the second half. Not a lot else to report, as I recall, though would like to record that 2, who came on in second half, seemed to be trying his socks off to make a positive impression while completely failing to do so. Felt for him a bit. Not a bad player necessarily - just couldn't get it going tonight.

• @HCblue said:
    Chesham changed all eleven, I think. Wycombe nowhere near as many changes. They had four or five subs in total, I think. Not sure if they used them all though I think they did when CF went off injured midway through second half. After looking good in the opening ten minutes of the half, Blues did little and Chesham were the only side who looked like they might score with Blues keeper making one good save to keep them out. In truth, little action in the second half - a little dull compared to the first half. Blues seemed not to be trying to create anything for last fifteen minutes. An enjoyable, relaxed evening nonetheless.

No-one tore it up for us. 7 was very confident on the ball in midfield and could pick a pass nicely. 11 might be disappointed with his second half if his chance of getting a deal depended on it - really no idea who anyone was - having scored a cracker in the first half and looking lively. A couple of big, strong CDs were OK, right back looked good at times though had a tough time with the accomplished-looking Chesham winger in the second half. Not a lot else to report, as I recall, though would like to record that 2, who came on in second half, seemed to be trying his socks off to make a positive impression while completely failing to do so. Felt for him a bit. Not a bad player necessarily - just couldn't get it going tonight.

Yeah, not a classic by any means and quite odd really to not know who anyone was on either side but the odd flicker of life here and there and everyone seemed happy just to be at a game again. Difficult to really put any individual performances into context but the coaches will know much more and I'm sure decisions would be based on training and potential. If you were hoping for anyone with real star quality to challenge or be fast tracked into the first team there probably wasn't any evidence of that.

• I’ve seen a few people mention on Twitter saying they’d like us to sign Stephen Humphrys from Rochdale, well tonight Wigan have snapped him up.

• Wigan certainly mean business.

• It’s going to be exceedingly tough at the top.

• @DPR38 said:
    I’ve seen a few people mention on Twitter saying they’d like us to sign Stephen Humphrys from Rochdale, well tonight Wigan have snapped him up.

I can’t see if Wigan paid anything or was Humphrys on a free