Skip to content

Euros General Thread

Comments

• If I was a country, I would make 'Hey Jude' my anthem. No-one is booing that.

• I do think we should just skip GSTQ and join in with the Italian anthem on Sunday, tbf.

• @wingnut said:
    For those who were there was the laser pointed at the goalkeeper obvious?
    It was sad to see their National Anthem booed and booing when they were passing it around. I know that happens a lot but it is distasteful whoever does it.

I didn't know about this laser pen until today but was at opposite end.

Never booed an anthem myself. Disrespectful and 'bad karma' imho. But I'd be surprised if anyone got particularly upset about it. Grown men/women booing anything is well weird if you think about it. It only takes a few people to boo at the same time to make it heard.

• A comment from someone yesterday about the England game...which also reminded me of how I felt about our last season in League One: 'It was such an odd experience watching (them) and expecting them to win, expecting them to turn it around when we went behind, expecting them to find a way.'

• Booing a national anthem makes you look an oaf but they pay their money and if they want to look like twats it’s up to them . Shining a laser pen in a goalkeepers eyes is despicable cheating and deserves a lifetime ban.

• Obviously in minority, possibly naive but I also don't think booing the anthem is anywhere near as bad as it is made out, it has always happened, they are competitors and if anything it adds to the atmosphere. I'd expect it at an away tie and I'd sing louder for my team after it. It's not about booing the other nation but the opposition for me, But then I'm not a racist prick and I can't speak for people who are. I also don't imagine it benefits us at all as it motivates the opposition but a little bit of faux agro is part of the fun. Immature perhaps.

• @Shev said:
    If I was a country, I would make 'Hey Jude' my anthem. No-one is booing that.

‘Hey Dude’ maybe?

Booing anthems and when the opposition has the ball is amazingly moronic but the current pandemic coupled with Brexit and years of Tory government makes it sadly expected. Thing is a fine this becomes a bigger fine, a supporter ban or even a tournament ban. It’s incredibly disrespectful and in a woke age is on the lower end of a racism scale.

What’s more surprising to me is this obsession with ‘Sweet Caroline’ at the moment. What is going on there and how is it now a talking point and a team anthem? It’s gone from a harmless drop in at numerous sports stadiums to England’s song? Is it linked to the morons above?

• Sweet Caroline has been sung by Northern Ireland fans for the best part of 20 years. And quite a few supporters feel it has been “stolen” from them.

• Football fans have stolen songs for generations. How many Wycombe fan faves are originals?

Nicking Three Little Birds from Plymouth fans was particularly satisfying.

• I would say Sweet Caroline is the official Benidom Anthem. Its literally banging out of clubs,Hotel,Bars, Shows all the time.
    It's one of those songs like Come on Eileen(Dexys),Sit Down(james),All together now(The Farm) that although they are played so often over the years, you never tire of them, and it just uplifts any event as so as it starts.

• I can see the link with brexit @Right_in_the_Middle but not sure how the Tory government despite their numerous failings, (& there are many), can be blamed?

• I can’t imagine any England fan would have heard Northern Ireland fans singing anything.

• ‘Please don’t send me home’ is a song sang by Wales fans and others in 2016 but no one would say England have stolen it as lots of teams fans have sung it.

• I would argue that the Tory government has actively encouraged nationalism and more pertinently, anti-foreigner rhetoric over the last few years which is a more than acceptable reason to link it to disrespecting people from other countries.

Booing the Danish national anthem after all they have been through shows out country as an ignorant, non-empathetic collection of ungracious imbeciles and yes, we should be fined.

(Sorry that turned into more of a rant than I was expecting when I started)

• @ChasHarps said:
    I would say Sweet Caroline is the official Benidom Anthem. Its literally banging out of clubs,Hotel,Bars, Shows all the time.
    It's one of those songs like Come on Eileen(Dexys),Sit Down(james),All together now(The Farm) that although they are played so often over the years, you never tire of them, and it just uplifts any event as so as it starts.

It’s times like this you realise you inhabit a completely different world than most of your fellow citizens. The sounds of any of those songs starting playing is guaranteed to sink my spirits.

• I don't dislike Sweet Caroline, but it feels more like a cricket song to me.

• edited July 2021

Sweet Caroline was coopted by American sports teams before Northern Ireland. The Carolina Panthers and Boston Red Sox have been using it for ages. It is funny NI could consider it stolen considering they were not the first! Kind of like getting mad someone else has covered a song you covered.

• On a similar note, it does annoy me when a cover version is so popular that the cover band get credit as if they wrote it (and people do not realize they did not). The worst is 'Black Magic Woman' which (over here at least) is a 'Santana song', when it was written by the late great Peter Green and originally performed by his early Fleetwood Mac.

• @bookertease said:

@ChasHarps said:
    I would say Sweet Caroline is the official Benidom Anthem. Its literally banging out of clubs,Hotel,Bars, Shows all the time.

It’s times like this you realise you inhabit a completely different world than most of your fellow citizens. The sounds of any of those songs starting playing is guaranteed to sink my spirits.

I always imagine Chas's place to be decked out like he's in some kind of nostalgia time warp.

• Isn't You'll Never Walk Alone 'stolen'?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Isn't You'll Never Walk Alone 'stolen'?

Yep. From Celtic wasn't it?

Every football song is stolen, hence every team being the greatest team the world has ever seen etc.

• 'Sweet Caroline' is sung by Castleford Tigers fans at every match. I sung it every time I went to the Elvis karaoke in Guernsey 14 years ago. Bit silly anyone other than Neil claiming ownership

• @ChasHarps said:
    It's one of those songs like Come on Eileen(Dexys) that although they are played so often over the years, you never tire of them, and it just uplifts any event as so as it starts.

Sorry but Come on Eileen, for me, is the worst song ever written or recorded and I will leave any room it's played in. In fact we told the DJ at our wedding he wouldn't get paid if he played it.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:

Sorry but Come on Eileen, for me, is the worst song ever written or recorded and I will leave any room it's played in. In fact we told the DJ at our wedding he wouldn't get paid if he played it.

When you've heard Forest fans sing Mull of Kintyre but change the lyrics to "Oh mist rolling in from the Trent..." then you've heard the worst song ever. A song so bad it makes their neighbours "I had a wheelbarrow, the wheel fell off" sound like a work of genius.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:

@ChasHarps said:
    It's one of those songs like Come on Eileen(Dexys) that although they are played so often over the years, you never tire of them, and it just uplifts any event as so as it starts.

"Worst song ever written or recorded" ??
    Even accounting for individuals poor taste, that is a bizarre statement.
    The fact that is still continually played nearly 40 years after Mr Rowland penned this classic, shows its endearing popularity.
    For worst song ever recorded just search 'Prog Rock' there are endless candidates.
    failing that Level 42 !!

• @ChasHarps said:

@MindlessDrugHoover said:

@ChasHarps said:

The fact that is still continually played nearly 40 years after Mr Rowland penned this classic, shows its endearing popularity.
    For worst song ever recorded just search 'Prog Rock' there are endless candidates.
    failing that Level 42 !!

What was the genesis of your dislike for prog rock. Yes I understand some of the songs are overly long but nothing to go crimson about

• @Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Isn't You'll Never Walk Alone 'stolen'?

Yep. From Celtic wasn't it?

Every football song is stolen, hence every team being the greatest team the world has ever seen etc.

Watford stole Z cars from Everton.

• Someone tried to steal my car at Everton once.

• @ChasHarps said:

@MindlessDrugHoover said:

@ChasHarps said:

failing that Level 42 !!

Enduringly popular does not equate to quality. The Tories are enduringly popular.

I'll give you Level 42 though. Appalling band.

At least Kevin Rowland also wrote the superb Geno.

• It’s almost as if Sweet Carolina is a globally popular song.