Skip to content

Euros General Thread

Comments

• Won’t be watching the final on ITV.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Soft penalty or not we were all over them for long periods so if it is possible to deserve a bit of luck we certainly did ! It was checked by VAR and everything???

tl:dr we've cheated our way to the final

• @Wendoverman said:
    Soft penalty or not we were all over them for long periods so if it is possible to deserve a bit of luck we certainly did ! It was checked by VAR and everything???

Evidently Denmark may have dived for their freekick too, which I missed. So maybe the mythical "evening out" does happen once in a while!

• Bit lucky? So what, thought we were excellent, have seen so many of these games go the other way, Disallowed winners etc.
    Anyway it gives the begrudging gits, anti-englanders and anti-football types something to cling on to.

• The free kick from which Denmark scored was apparently for grappling in a large melee in which, as is always the case, grappling was going on left right and centre. Free kick superbly executed, unlike Kane’s penalty.

• Our penalty was a bit soft. Who cares?
    We played almost every game at Wembley. Who cares?
    We were in the easier half of the draw. Who cares?

Magic evening.

• Was wonderful to hear some young lads talking about WWFC on the train back from Wembley tonight

I strongly believe that younger people are our future

• As I jumped around like a lunatic last night when we equalised one of the people I was watching it with grabbed me, saying "just wait, just wait for the check"

Nothing could ever better demonstrate why VAR needs to get in the bin better than that.

People who continue to support it have no soul

• I thought he was clipped for the penalty, and I also thought Kanes was a penalty in the first half ! We deserved the win no doubt, how many chances did Denmark actually have compared to us ? Not that many

• There were two balls on the pitch just before the pen as well ?

• Brilliant win and certainly well deserved. Great performances throughout the team and great spirit.
    A really proud moment for the country.
    Football is a great healer and can help us forget the dark months of COVID.
    Football IS coming home.

• I thought it was a very dodgy penalty at the time, but on repeat viewing I think the clash is at knee height and I'd originally been looking at feet.

• edited July 2021

Another game where we are endlessly debating the result being decided by incorrect decisions, despite the presence of VAR.

I'd argue two penalties were incorrectly ruled on, and the free kick for Denmark's goal was not a free kick.

VAR solves nothing.

Get rid of it.

• edited July 2021

@eric_plant said:
    As I jumped around like a lunatic last night when we equalised one of the people I was watching it with grabbed me, saying "just wait, just wait for the check"

Nothing could ever better demonstrate why VAR needs to get in the bin better than that.

I agree this is the biggest drawback. The immediate joy of a goal (the whole point of watching) has been replaced by a bout of anxiety.

• LX1LX1
    edited July 2021

xG was ENG 3.23 - 0.30 DEN

Only disappointment that it went to et with the Italians having an extra day's rest.

• Good times never felt so good

• Final on Sunday will go to pens. Laser pens. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Humble Pie has never tasted so good.

I had really low expectations (as always) at the start and the uninspiring, backwards first approach of the group games was little short of depressing.

But credit where it’s due. We’ve played pretty well through the knock out games and fully deserve to be in the final.

I think this is the first tournament since Italy 90 where we’ve probably over-achieved so it’s a delightful feeling.

Was it just me though but weren’t we awfully slow to get players in the box last night? Time after time we would get in great positions and there would be no-one in white in the area. But other than that all good

• For those who were there was the laser pointed at the goalkeeper obvious?
    It was sad to see their National Anthem booed and booing when they were passing it around. I know that happens a lot but it is distasteful whoever does it.

• @wingnut said:
    For those who were there was the laser pointed at the goalkeeper obvious?
    It was sad to see their National Anthem booed and booing when they were passing it around. I know that happens a lot but it is distasteful whoever does it.

Obviously only needs one twat with a laser pen...but the anthem booing was depressing. Some seem perplexed about the reasons but it's not really that much of a surprise that the rest of our United Kingdom does not like us much, is it?

• The booing of national anthems is dreadful, and I wish we could somehow stop it from happening.

As for people going on about the laser pen.... he saved the penalty !!!

• I don't see the issue with anthem booing. Light-hearted stuff and we're not the only ones who do it. It's just a song, nothing sacrosanct.

• It's massively disrespectful

You've surprised me there

• It's only bannn-tahhh.

I hate anthem booing as well. It's just sour and moronic isn't it really, if we're being honest.

• I wouldn't do it myself, but I think it's quite pantomime really. Certainly excessive for UEFA to fine us for it.

• Much as I hate national anthems i reluctantly accept that for some people such arcane tuneless rituals actually mean something and to boo such nonsense is indeed totally disrespectful and should be discouraged

• Sorry, @ReturnToSenda I find it about as pantomime as 'No surrender to the IRA'. It's moronic and lacks class in my opinion.

• Plus if I was a player hearing fans booing my anthem all it would do is fire me up to play better !

• Booing the anthems is surely in the same locker as singing "sh!T on the floor" or cheering rival players getting injured/stretchered off.

Or thinking you can abuse a 6ft brick outhouse defender from 5 yards away near Tesco.

• I am glad some people share my view on this. The Italian anthem is very long as I remember from Olympic events. I hope those who revel in it will be drowned out.
    It is taken seriously by most countries but I was present long ago at Twickenham when the home crowd joined in the French Anthem which sounded great but then you realised the words were not the correct ones and rather irreverent.