Skip to content

Summer transfer thread

Comments

• Expect the club to release the names of the new additions once the Euro excitement is over so I'll be on the WWFC twitter feed from about 8.07 p.m.

Mr GHF's synopsis above will be prescient.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    I read somewhere that we were 6th in the "2nd half of the season" table (or maybe that's what Pete said in that recent podcast?) Not sure how correct that is, but we were definitely 7th in the "last quarter of the season" form table. So your 'starting position' is on kind of shaky ground... You could equally say that our "Best X1" were hammering on the door of the play-offs for a place in the Premier League.

However, I agree with the general point that we need to add some quality based on who we've lost (all of those players were top notch, and were mostly regular starters). But I'm sure that's what we will see in the coming weeks. It's still only early July...

Looking forward positively to the "Breaking News" from the official social media outlets in the weeks ahead.

Second Half of the season we were 17th.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/formtabelle/wettbewerb/GB2?saison_id=2020&min=24&max=46

• Yes the injuries to our new players during the first half of the season did for us really.

• The Michael Duberry and Fola Onibuje rumours are now trending on twitter

• @Vital said:

@glasshalffull said:
    A replacement for Uche is a major priority and cover is needed in central defence, otherwise we are pretty well covered.

Depends what we're aiming for I guess.

If last season's "best eleven" were lower Championship / upper League One standard, we've lost five of them (Uche, Fred, Knight, Muskwe & Adeniran) and gained only one (Scowen).

If Rob's aim really is a return to the Championship I think we'll need more than two further additions.

Of course his aim is an immediate return, why wouldn’t it be? Don’t get me wrong, I would love to see further additions and fully expect that to happen, but I was making the point that we already have replacements for some of those who have left. For Fred read Obita, for Adeniran read Scowen, for Muskwe read Kashket/Samuel. That leaves Knight and Uche replacements as our top priorities which is what I said.

• @Vital said:

@glasshalffull said:
    A replacement for Uche is a major priority and cover is needed in central defence, otherwise we are pretty well covered.

If last season's "best eleven" were lower Championship / upper League One standard, we've lost five of them (Uche, Fred, Knight, Muskwe & Adeniran) and gained only one (Scowen).

If Rob's aim really is a return to the Championship I think we'll need more than two further additions.

This.
    There's ultra positive, and ultra negative takes on it, depending on the style of the individual poster.
    But what you say is the crux of it. We're definitely weaker then we ended last season.

Perhaps mentioning Tafazolli in the "stronger" column, as we only had him fit for half a season at most, and Gape can't be unavailable as much as last season too.

But we definitely need a boot up, but Gareth will know that more than anyone.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Yes the injuries to our new players during the first half of the season did for us really.

It's tantalising really, wondering how we'd have fared with Tafa and Uche fit even for a fraction of that first half of the season.
    Or if we'd beefed up the centre mid earlier/had Gape fit for more than about a week etc.

But no time to look back now.

• edited July 2021

@wwfcblue thx - i thought the 2nd half position was wrong, but the last quarter is correct - that's when we were at our best and with our strongest XI and new 'shape'. That's the benchmark for this year's team - if we can hit those heights, we'll go up.

@glasshalffull I can't read "Samuel/Kashket for Muskwe" without thinking that if it was a comparable swap-out, why wouldn't Gaz have been playing them last year instead of Admiral (at least some of the time)? So... for me, 2 strikers and a defensive cover reqd. Confident they'll arrive, though.

• edited July 2021

Replace Uche adequately - which we will - and we're a markedly stronger team than we were in 2019/20. We've upgraded all over the pitch since then. Obviously the dynamic will be different as we can no longer play the underdog card, but there isn't a coaching duo I would back more to adapt to that shift in expectation than Gaz and Dobbo.

• For me 2 good strikers are required. Alex is good as an impact sub and running down the clock but he doesn't score goals and Scotty can be a bit hit and miss. Def 2 additions up front required in my mind if we are to challenge for promotion next season

• I wouldn't have a huge issue if Freeman, Kashket and Samuel were all "moved on" as the saying goes to allow better players to come in. All done well at periods in their time here.

Equally though, all three could do a job in L1 as back-ups but I'm not sure any of them will be regular starters if we are chasing the play-offs.

• @Commoner said:
    I wouldn't have a huge issue if Freeman, Kashket and Samuel were all "moved on" as the saying goes to allow better players to come in. All done well at periods in their time here.

Equally though, all three could do a job in L1 as back-ups but I'm not sure any of them will be regular starters if we are chasing the play-offs.

Nicely worded slap in the face for three players who have all contributed to success over the past few seasons.

• Kashket and Samuel are very good value for division 1. Freeman similarly. We can afford depth so must keep depth. The two strikers especially do a job defenders hate and that is closing down. IF we are able to get a partner for these two who can pick up on their hard work we will get a hatful.

Anyway, can't wait for Friday when TRIALIST CM, TRIALIST STRIKER is being speculated about and mis-identified as a guy who has just signed a 3 year deal with a club 300 miles away.

• Obita is an interesting one, I thought he had the delivery of a drunk postman last year (with the marked disadvantage of being compare to JJ - he was probably actually average), but he only had a little run in the side, and I am hopeful of a big leap forward. As @glasshalffull said, maybe he is the LWB replacement for Fred?

• Kashket will score goals - he just needs the right partner alongside him.

• Kashket isn't clinical enough to be depended on as a regular goal-scorer - although he will get more chances in League One - but we don't necessarily need that if we have a decent selection to rotate.

• Kashket is a great finisher isn’t he? He missed a few big chances last season but all strikers miss sometimes.

• edited July 2021

He's very streaky, but he's almost worth keeping around for the hot streaks alone. But he's more than just a poacher anyway (I mean, that kind of striker doesn't have a place in the game anymore).

• @bookertease said:

@Wendoverman said:
    I have every faith the management team will yet again surprise and amaze us with their signings. I also think Kashket and Samuel still have a role to play. Let's be depressed about our chances 20 games in. Not before a bloody ball has been kicked.

Oy. Let me have the right to be depressed about our chances from the first misplaced pass, 14 seconds into the Accrington Stanley game

Please God let it not be Bayo...

• To condemn Scotty to an awful season given my usual accuracy of predictions, but…

If he stays fit and, as pointed out above with the right partner, I think he will be our mythical 20 goal a season striker for next season.

His instincts as a striker are superb and although he wasn’t prolific last season he caused defenders some problems. If he hasn’t lost his pace, the extra space and time he’ll get back in League 1 should mean that scoring is a little easier and should boost his confidence.

I would be more than happy with Kashket I. The starting 11 every week

• @Shev said:
    Obita is an interesting one, I thought he had the delivery of a drunk postman last year (with the marked disadvantage of being compare to JJ - he was probably actually average), but he only had a little run in the side, and I am hopeful of a big leap forward. As @glasshalffull said, maybe he is the LWB replacement for Fred?

We haven’t seen the best of Obita, mainly because of his injury and Fred’s successful transition to wing back. However, he’s played over 150 games for Reading in the Championship either as a left winger or left back, and he’s only 27. I am confident he will be an effective wing back in League 1.

• edited July 2021

Kashket has scored 15 goals in 4 seasons.
    That seems hard to believe as perception is still that he's a great finisher.

He had that injury ravaged half season, personal issues another year for a couple of months etc.
    And it's likely our formation hasn't helped for a lot of the time. Clearly last season we were well up against it for great chunks of the season too.

But 15 goals in 4 seasons seems low. Hopefully he can have another stormer this season. Could be his time in a 2 regularly.

• We need to look no further than Stuart Beavon to see what a decent strike partner and a bit of confidence can do for a striker. Wasn’t he in single figures for goals during his first few seasons before his 20+ season? Who knows, Scotty may bang them in this season and then next season some of the fans behind the goal can ask him why he’s such a **** when he lines up against us in the Championship.

(Let’s not debate Beaver’s ‘forceful’ exit on this post though!)

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Commoner said:
    I wouldn't have a huge issue if Freeman, Kashket and Samuel were all "moved on" as the saying goes to allow better players to come in. All done well at periods in their time here.

Nicely worded slap in the face for three players who have all contributed to success over the past few seasons.

Wasn’t my intention to be disparaging to the three players concerned. I probably should have added that with a squad size of 22 we’ve only got two or three spaces left. So if one or all of those three were to find pastures new it gives us more space to sign higher calibre players.

In my mind we need at least two strikers and a winger who will start regularly. As someone pointed out earlier we have no Uche, Knight, Muskwe or Adeniran who were all key to our end of season form.if we sign 2 strikers and a winger then the squad is full.

On top of that we arguably need another centre mid and centre back. So someone has to go out the door before we can get others in. Possibly even a keeper.

Samuel, Kashket and Freeman have all been key in recent promotions from L1 & L2. They’ve been fantastic servants and I’m sure will continue to be if they remain at the club.

• @Malone said:

@Vital said:

@glasshalffull said:

This.
    There's ultra positive, and ultra negative takes on it, depending on the style of the individual poster.
    But what you say is the crux of it. We're definitely weaker then we ended last season.

Perhaps mentioning Tafazolli in the "stronger" column, as we only had him fit for half a season at most, and Gape can't be unavailable as much as last season too.

But we definitely need a boot up, but Gareth will know that more than anyone.

However, we are apparently in a weaker league as well, so we do have the luxury of time to pick & choose the better players that are available.

• Wigan have just signed Charlie Wyke from Sunderland on a reported £8-10,000 per week???!!!!???? Wigan?

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Wigan have just signed Charlie Wyke from Sunderland on a reported £8-10,000 per week???!!!!???? Wigan?

When your owned by an obscenely wealthy Bahraini it's quite easy.

• @mooneyman said:

@StrongestTeam said:
    Wigan have just signed Charlie Wyke from Sunderland on a reported £8-10,000 per week???!!!!???? Wigan?

When your owned by an obscenely wealthy Bahraini it's quite easy.

Yeah, just did some googling, seems they're rather cashed up and buying in all sorts of players.

• Anderson out on loan to Eastbourne for the season - loan keeper incoming?

• Yeah I kind of guessed he'd stay here and be number 2, but I suppose gaining some experience isn't a bad thing, although it's for the season I assume we'll ha e a re call clause