Skip to content

Euros General Thread

Comments

• How hard is it for these pundits to read the laws governing penalty shootouts. “You’d think Spain would go first if Italy have chosen ends”. Ffs

• So, France lost on penalties to Switzerland, who lost on penalties to Spain, who lost on penalties to Italy...

Oh boy.

• Great game and celebrations, Italy have got the mix of quality and gamesmanship spot on. Sure we'll revert to our usual nervous selves tomorrow. Maybe we'll see this new England team rise to the occasion. Italy will be confident whoever wins but you never know, and it's far too early to be thinking beyond tomorrow...

• I actually think we'll win 2 or 3-0 tomorrow.

Then go to penalties in the final.

• Like @eric_plant it's 1990 for me with euro 96 just behind. This one has the potential to eclipse both.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I actually think we'll win 2 or 3-0 tomorrow.

Then go to penalties in the final.

Welcome aboard the bandwagon! Good to have you with us

• Given that Spain dominated territorially for long periods this evening and generally looked the slicker of the two sides, I felt that, if we do reach the Final, we would be more likely to succeed against Italy than against Spain. What do people think?

• I'd have fancied playing Spain as they'd have played the equivalent of an extra game, but Italy - England would certainly make for an intense final with how aggressive both sides can be off the ball.

• Of course. Three lots of Extra Time. Hadn’t thought of it like that. Another factor that occurred to me the other day was the loss of Spinazolla (?), the Italian left back. Not sure it’s realistic but I had this image of Saka or Sancho running riot down the right flank. Foden even.

• @micra said:
    Given that Spain dominated territorially for long periods this evening and generally looked the slicker of the two sides, I felt that, if we do reach the Final, we would be more likely to succeed against Italy than against Spain. What do people think?

I agree Mr Micra
    You don't tend to see that much of the ball, when you play the Spaniards.
    Italy don't frighten me at all, nothing up front to hurt us, the vastly overated Immobile, closes down defenders in the same clumsy way as Drewe Broughton.

• Agree on Italy. There would be nothing so tortuous as falling behind to Spain and waiting five minutes to get the ball back each time!

• Not sure Immobile has even been overrated. Seems to be quite widely accepted that he's only ever thrived at Lazio, where he plays in a system heavily tailored to him.

• Well a lot of the commentators and pundits were banging on about him in the group stages.
    And today the man behind the mic, was waffling on about Immobile was making a dangerous run, unaware that he had been taken off 5 minutes earlier !!

• edited July 2021

Favourite part of tonight's commentary was when Steve Wilson said something along the lines of 'Felix Brych will know all about injuries like that, he's a doctor'.

He is a doctor - of law.

As for Murphy...

• apparently, St Martin said that Immobile "invented the word Aylott".

• ‘That’s amore.’

• Top punditry above, here's hoping we bring home the bacon tonight.

• Best tournament since 1966. Bring back World Cup Willy.
    Banks, Wilson, Cohen, Moore, J. Charlton, Ball Styles Charlton, Peter’s Hunt and Hurst - never forgotten.

Now let us have new heroes:

Pickford, Walker, Stones, McGuire, Shaw, Phillips, Rice, Mount, Saka, Kane and Sterling!!!!!

• Does Harry "McGuire" suddenly have some Scottish ancestry?

• It's very difficult to know what to make of this England when you're lying down behind the sofa fingering your rosary -moderators please check this posting for auto-correct.

• Again quietly confident this evening. I think this set of players have their feet firmly on the ground and are really focused on the job in hand.

The manager and is backroom staff have been very prepared, level-headed and positive which I think has allowed the team to go about their business and grow into this Euros.

Our lack of success over the last 30-40 years, at this stage of tournaments, I think gives us fans more to worry about than the current crop of players. We normally fall short.

I think we will do enough to beat Denmark tonight, I suspect we will concede our first goal in a 2-1 victory!

As much as Italy are on a 30+ game unbeaten run, I'd much rather play them than Spain. Probably due to the pace and intricacy that Spain can move the ball. The number of times Olmo and Morata got in behind last night was something I do not feel we could deal with so well. Immobile and Chiesa pose a different threat but one that our defenders are better suited to extinguishing!

• edited July 2021

Chiesa went off during extra time holding his hamstring. Came back on, but couldn't continue. Maybe nothing serious, or maybe a doubt for Sunday? This might be good news for England/Denmark.

• edited July 2021

@ReturnToSenda said:
    This was the moment of the tournament so far

Incredible scenes.
    Surely she'd have noticed that he came past her to get to that point. Or that he was the other side of the barrier?

He does love a hug though. He couldn't keep his hands off Alba before the pens.

• @Malone said:

That was Chiellini! And Alba is still trying to get him out of his head.

• @DevC said:
    Most enjoyable tournament ever?

Certainly up there.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    This was the moment of the tournament so far

Incredible scenes.
    Surely she'd have noticed that he came past her to get to that point. Or that he was the other side of the barrier?

He does love a hug though. He couldn't keep his hands of Alba before the pens.> @ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

That was Chiellini! And Alba is still trying to get him out of his head.

Whoopsy

• I had a fleeting feeling of deja vu there @Malone.

• Another hat-trick for me. Whoopeee!
    In silly mood during build-up.