Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• Well done Stuart. He’s doing well.

• Oh wow

• That’s great news for Darius

• What a great interview. From Dobbo to Robbo. And Darius clearly expects to resume playing (if only occasionally).
    Great head of hair too !

• edited July 2021

A few ways of looking at the Charles news.

Brilliant he's got a contract somewhere, especially somewhere he's well liked. It'd be very easy to drop out of the league totally in your early to mid 30s, with an underlying condition.

However, he was a star player in league 1 as recently as 13-15months ago, so surely he can be more than "cover" in a team who just about scrape league 1 survival each season?

But then there's the mentor/route into a future career path in mind too, which makes it a nice story all round.

• My AFC Wimbledon supporting mate is disillusioned with the state of affairs on the playing side, as he sees it (“into July and no signings”) but I have a feeling that, under Mark Robinson, they will do quite well - mid-table perhaps and I tried to cheer him up by suggesting (very tongue in cheek) that six points were guaranteed when playing us.

My pal lives in Great Missenden and I’ve half-heartedly suggested once or twice, after hearing him moan about dreadful performances and two hour journeys each way for ‘home’ games, that he should switch to the better stuff at Adams Park, as I did in 1968. But I suspect that the longer in tooth you get, the more difficult it becomes to change allegiances.

I don’t think he’ll be too impressed with their first (?) signing but then I don’t suppose he would be aware of the wider context and what an incredibly inspiring character Darius is.

• edited July 2021

Adeniran reportedly close to joining Sheffield Wednesday

• Good luck to him. IF we offered him a deal and he chose SW then he must have his reasons. If we didn’t then Gaz will have his. Roll on the next one but it’s not an area we are weak in.

• Probably down to wages. Even with Rob, there's no way we could compete with what Wednesday could offer.

• They are also undoubtedly a bigger club.

• Wednesday apparently are still under a transfer embargo which means they can sign out of contract
    players but can only offer wages that are judged by the Governing Body as “within reason”. Quite what that means I have no idea!

• Within reason. That’s a bit of a joke in the context of football

• O’Nien has signed a new 3 year deal at Sunderland. Shame he couldn’t find himself a Championship club, suggestion is his wages were too much for those that were interested. Could be utter nonsense of course.

• @BlueBoy said:
    O’Nien has signed a new 3 year deal at Sunderland. Shame he couldn’t find himself a Championship club, suggestion is his wages were too much for those that were interested. Could be utter nonsense of course.

A shame, but probably an absolute no brainer. Despite what we think of them, it's a big club, huge fan base and for his level, sky high wages.

3 years for a deal is like gold dust, and he's no doubt well settled up there by now.

• They seemed angry he was delaying and happy to see him go so will probably now be angry such a 'poor player' was able to blackmail a club like them for better terms!?

• Just glad it’s not Peterborough or Luton.

• Poor Luke.

• Presumably that means we'd still be in for a sell-on fee if they did sell him, whereas we'd have got nothing had he simply left.

• Wonder what those Sunderland fans who were wishing him good riddance will be saying now

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Wonder what those Sunderland fans who were wishing him good riddance will be saying now

Probably talking about how massive they are, and by how many points they'll piss the league.

Then come the summer, another disappointing season for them in league one will be over (bar the whinging).

• Wow Lewis must be rather better at the theory because he was c*@p at the practical!

• I can't help feeling Luke is (obviously) making more money at Sunderland, but at a hindrance to his actual development as a player. They have rarely played him in midfield. I am expecting to see him pop up as a goalkeeper any day now.

• @Shev said:
    I can't help feeling Luke is (obviously) making more money at Sunderland, but at a hindrance to his actual development as a player. They have rarely played him in midfield. I am expecting to see him pop up as a goalkeeper any day now.

He has turned into a very good centre-back, although I've no idea if he likes playing there.

• The fact that he has played across the back four and not in midfield seems to suggest to them manager's don't rate him in midfield and he is only a makeshift defender...lots of enthusiasm and energy, loves the club, gives 100% wherever he plays. In short, a nice lad but 'bang average'. Of course I am only going by the equivalent of the Gasroom which we all know speaks for every chairboy and girl! :smiley:

• @Wendoverman said:
    The fact that he has played across the back four and not in midfield seems to suggest to them manager's don't rate him in midfield and he is only a makeshift defender...lots of enthusiasm and energy, loves the club, gives 100% wherever he plays. In short, a nice lad but 'bang average'. Of course I am only going by the equivalent of the Gasroom which we all know speaks for every chairboy and girl! :smiley:

I'd have thought the fact that they offered him a 3 year contract on terms that a variety of interested onlookers couldn't better suggest they want him.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@Wendoverman said:
    The fact that he has played across the back four and not in midfield seems to suggest to them manager's don't rate him in midfield and he is only a makeshift defender...lots of enthusiasm and energy, loves the club, gives 100% wherever he plays. In short, a nice lad but 'bang average'. Of course I am only going by the equivalent of the Gasroom which we all know speaks for every chairboy and girl! :smiley:

I'd have thought the fact that they offered him a 3 year contract on terms that a variety of interested onlookers couldn't better suggest they want him.

As far as I can see (and to be fair a few of their fans) he seems like an asset for them to me. We all know Luke. I'm just saying there are a sizeable group of fans on their forum who think he is a no more than average 'League One' player (which league are they in again?) and a sign of their leadership's lack of ambition. I think we should encourage them to get rid on loan to a club closer to his roots say in Bucks while paying his no doubt substantial wages!