Skip to content

Summer transfer thread

Comments

• Lion Etete looks a very exciting option @wwfcblue.
    I would imagine a lot of teams will be in for him but Gareth and Dobbo would be brilliant for him as they were with Eze.

• I really thought that Ali Coote would be a big player. He played against us for Brentford a few seasons back. A left sided player who was very clever on the ball. He now plays for Bohemians in Ireland.

• Looks like we've got this lad on trial, based on the recent training footage

• edited July 2021

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Looks like we've got this lad on trial, based on the recent training footage

He was discussed this time last year here on the Gasroom. He has been released by Chelsea

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2021/6/6/22520586/chelsea-release-marco-van-ginkel-izzy-brown-danilo-pantic-jack-wakely

• I hope he brings Izzy Brown with him.

• @drcongo said:
    I hope he brings Izzy Brown with him.

Izzy brown has been scooped up by Preston

• I need to be very careful, it seems, when my relentless curiosity about nearly everything leads me to ask questions but I recall someone on the Gasroom referring a year or so ago to a tall strong Wycombe born central defender and I wondered if this might be him. I also recall commenting on a young central defender who, in an interview, said that he enjoyed powering headers and could play anywhere across a back four but was happiest on the left. I remember thinking at the time that he sounded like a really good prospect. In my elderly confusion and failing memory, I’m not sure if I am talking about Jack Wakely in both instances or neither!

• As nearly always, several new posts have popped up whilst I plodded through my post.

• I have the same problem when talking to myself @micra! Can never remember what the conversation is about or if I've asked the question before, never mine what answer I gave ?

• Think Marc Mcguiness was mentioned on here last summer. Slough born, Arsenal academy player, very tall. He ended up going on loan to Ipswich and has now earnt a permanent move to Cardiff

• There was an interview with Horgan today, by the looks of things, I don't think he's leaving. He seems determined to do well in Leagur One, and I think he'll be fine in this division.

• I hope the lad as a good season in 21/22. He was never short of endeavour in the championship but things didn’t come off for him. I am sure he will be a great asset at this level.

• If Horgan plays well it will almost be like getting a new player in! Hopefully the difficult Championship season has him determined to prove his worth.

• @Shev said:
    If Horgan plays well it will almost be like getting a new player in! Hopefully the difficult Championship season has him determined to prove his worth.

The Horgan who scored that great 'goal' against Derby is a Rolls Royce of a player. Missed tge cut as the team gelled in the last few games but I'm looking forward to seeing more.
    If we can sign others with his quality on the ball this summer we'll do ok

• It’s great to hear from Daryl. I’d be thrilled if we kept hold of him.

• Some of the players we have in the squad are higher championship quality including Horgan. What they should do in league 1 is so exciting.

• I think Horgan should do well this season but let's remember League 1 is unforgiving even for star players who don't pull their weight. Aidan McGeady has hardly achieved what would have been expected and there are numerous other championship level players who haven't torn up the division as would have been expected.

I think / hope that the Wycombe setup is more conducive to getting the best out of our championship calibre players.

• @WildWestFC said:
    I think Horgan should do well this season but let's remember League 1 is unforgiving even for star players who don't pull their weight. Aidan McGeady has hardly achieved what would have been expected and there are numerous other championship level players who haven't torn up the division as would have been expected.

I think / hope that the Wycombe setup is more conducive to getting the best out of our championship calibre players.

As has been mentioned before if we stick with a 3-5-2 formation which was so successful at the end of last season then Daryl will struggle to make the starting 11 in my opinion.

Stockdale

Jacobson
    Tafazolli
    Stewart

Wheeler
    Thompson
    Mehmeti
    Scowen/Gape
    McCarthy

Kashket
    New Signing

I can't see Horgan playing as a marauding Wingback.

We definitely need two Centre Forwards another Centre Back and a fast winger/wingback.

• I can see Horgan doing the Mehmeti role or the wingback role and think he'd be very good in either.

• edited July 2021

Stockdale; Grimmer, Tafazolli, Jacobson; McCarthy, Scowen, Thompson, Obita; Mehmeti; New ST, Kashket

• edited July 2021

I'd also like to see a slight variation on that system, with two number 10 sort of players behind a lone striker - hopefully we'll bring someone in who's equally capable of playing up front alone or in a two - not necessarily as the default but as another option. Think Chelsea with Mount and Havertz behind Werner, basically.

• I can’t see Kashket getting in on a regular basis. Kashket is a good squad player but blows hot and cold. I still think we need two new forwards plus another CB to cover injuries.

• It's great we have so many options in defence and midfield. All who are of great quality for Lge1. The real concern is Centre Forward(s)

• edited July 2021

It's an interesting one with Kashket and Samuel.

Perception, for almost every Wycombe fan, is that Kashket is a goal king, and Samuel has next to no threat.

But if you ignore Kashket's 3 month hot streak in league 2 over 4 years ago, bearing in mind Samuel didn't play at that level for us, their recent record is

Kashket 15 goals over the last 4 seasons (100 appearances)
    Samuel 11 goals over the last 3 seasons (86 appearances)

So a pretty similar goal threat on paper!

• 2 forwards and another center back I reckon

• If you ignore 1966 England have never won the World Cup.

• I'd rather have someone like Muskwe over Kashket - better finisher (although you have to caveat that with the fact we only have a small sample to go on so far) but also a greater physical presence and stronger in the build-up.

• Seems a little strange that Mehmeti is apparently inked in for the advanced midfielder role when it was McCleary who played that role to great effect in the last 5 games of the season.

• Horgan doesn’t seem to be the adaptable player that Gaz really values. He does one thing pretty well - down the wing and a decent cross. At present we don’t have a target man for the cross and not at our best playing that set up anyway.
    Squad player as others have suggested, maybe even a sale to get some money back / save on wages?

• @our_frank said:
    Seems a little strange that Mehmeti is apparently inked in for the advanced midfielder role when it was McCleary who played that role to great effect in the last 5 games of the season.

I would be happy with either in this role. We do have riches in midfield.