Skip to content

Derby County FFP and the EFL

Comments

• Gone through,’ as if they were unwilling participants in the whole scheme.

• edited July 2021

@NiceCarrots said:
    Darn I can't do a link - can anybody help?

The gasroom doesn't host pictures, you can't upload to it. You can add an image hosted somewhere else with some html tags. You can paste in full tweets from Twitter and it'll show them

• Thanks chaps, always good to see Peter Ridsdale back in the frame for the EFL board.

• @floyd Yes, He and I are the same Ed. I was compelled to add an underscore as Gasroom 2.0 has something against two character names.

• Ed is a fine name @Ed_, altho it was @our_frank who asked the question.

• @floyd I only gave up posting because I couldn’t get the URL right, the doc said I was cured but clearly not. Ps - Floyd is a solid name too.

@our_frank What I said to Our Floyd above.

• Preston North End's Peter Ridsdale has emerged as a main contender to join the influential EFL Board.

Ridsdale, who has been at Deepdale for just short of 10 years, is believed to be a leading figure to fill the vacancy on the board following the departure of Bristol City chief executive Mark Ashton.

An election on who inherits Ashton's place is to take place next month with The Daily Mail stating that Ridsdale faces competition from a familiar face in Tony Scholes - chief executive at Deepdale between 1999 and 2002 - who is currently the CEO at Stoke City, a position he has held for 17 years.

I know you should never judge a man by his Wikipedia page but for him, I'm prepared to make an exception.

What fresh lunacy is this?

• Mark Ashton keeps cropping up doesn't he?

He was the subject of a feisty gasroom exchange back in the day. @glasshalffull put up a strong defence of his appointment. History doesn't record if his mind had changed by the time he resigned a few short months later

• The fact that Peter Ridsdale keeps passing the fit and proper persons test is mystifying enough in the first place.

• Source: B.B.C.

Mr Ridsdale, of Carnforth in Lancashire, will now be banned from acting as a company director from 19 October to 18 April 2020.

The ban relates to his actions as director of WH Sports Group Limited (WHSG), which provided sports and leisure consultancy services to football clubs from 2003.
    The company went into liquidation in April 2009, owing £478,698 - the vast majority of which was owed in tax to HM Revenue and Customs.
    Mr Ridsdale did not dispute findings that:
    Payments totalling £347,000, for services provided by the business to a football club where he was chairman, were paid into his personal bank account between May 2007 and March 2009 instead of to the company's account
    He did not disclose the relevant transactions to the liquidator of the company who was subsequently told of them by the football club
    He failed to ensure tax payments were made by the company. Unpaid tax at the time of liquidation included £166,421 in corporation tax, £102,279 in income tax and national insurance, and £173,653 in VAT
    He failed to make sure the business filed accounts on three successive occasions
    "As someone who has had many directorships, Mr Ridsdale ought to be aware of the responsibilities that come with such a position," said Claire Entwistle, director of company investigations north at the Insolvency Service.
    Mr Ridsdale's wife - Sophie Victoria Ridsdale - who was co-director of the company, has also been disqualified. The 45-year-old will be banned from taking any directorships from 19 October to April 2016.
    "These disqualifications should serve as a reminder that the Insolvency Service will investigate unacceptable conduct and deal robustly with directors who harm creditors by using unacceptable financial practice," Claire Entwistle added.

• How on earth can the EFL contemplate someone like Risdale.

• So did he step down from Preston or did they give him a silly job title that meant he didn't have to?

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    How on earth can the EFL contemplate someone like Risdale.

It's pretty on-brand for them.

• Peter Ridsdale seems like the perfect poacher turned gamekeeper appointment, if anything he is a little overqualified.

• @floyd said:
    Ed is a fine name @Ed_, altho it was @our_frank who asked the question.

I remember watching Mister Ed in the 60's which I though was great for an American show.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Am I being stupid or was the training ground not so heavily branded as Marlow Road before the Couhigs came in?

Reminds me of decades or so of "Upton Park" with West Ham, only for them to suddenly start referring to it only as the ""Boleyn Ground" a year or so before they moved.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Couldn't agree more @TheAndyGrahamFanClub although I was too green round the gills to catch on to Hayes before it was too late tbh! Move forward to today & he wouldn't catch me out so easily given the same circumstances, but we live, (& hopefully), learn.

When did you change your mind on Hayes?
    I "think" (and apologies if it wasn't you) that I recall you continuing to say Booker was a huge opportunity spurned for a long time after it fell through.
    Even though it was worrying from day 1 that we'd be swapping owning a ground for paying rent to someone else, and getting minimal income from the games, and zero income from everything built near the ground.

• @mooneyman said:

@floyd said:
    Ed is a fine name @Ed_, altho it was @our_frank who asked the question.

I remember watching Mister Ed in the 60's which I though was great for an American show.

A horse is a horse of course

• It’s not all bad news from the world of football finance

• Only a matter of time

• Well that’s a web page that is barely readable due to adverts if ever I saw one.

Summary Derby fcuked. EFL should / will / can help them out.

Why? Not sure. Did they do the same for Macclesfield, Bury, etc? No. Is this a level playing field. Nope.

• @floyd said:
    It’s not all bad news from the world of football finance

Can they get away without administration? Is there a lower league equivalent of how much a club can lose before punishments? Like there (supposedly!) is in the championship?

• I assume MK Dons are exempted from the FFP Rules!

• Derby County chief executive Stephen Pearce resigned yesterday from the EFL Board and is quoted as saying,"I have a duty to my club first and foremost."

Was anyone else aware Derby had a director on the EFL Board before yesterday?

• @Malone said:

@EwanHoosaami said:
    Couldn't agree more @TheAndyGrahamFanClub although I was too green round the gills to catch on to Hayes before it was too late tbh! Move forward to today & he wouldn't catch me out so easily given the same circumstances, but we live, (& hopefully), learn.

I "think" (and apologies if it wasn't you) that I recall you continuing to say Booker was a huge opportunity spurned for a long time after it fell through.
    Even though it was worrying from day 1 that we'd be swapping owning a ground for paying rent to someone else, and getting minimal income from the games, and zero income from everything built near the ground.

Definitely not me @Malone. To begin with, I admit to being slightly blinded by the cheque book. Started becoming "one eyed" after about a year, six months later and I was full on anti Hayes tenure. Never in a million years was I in anyway supporting the move to Booker. Even a slight myopic could see that was a farce right from the off.
    Probably the main reason I supported the Couhig takeover as they weren't asking for the stadium as collateral and always felt more comfortable that they were taking a loss making football club woth zero assets and hoping to turn it around. ?

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@Malone said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

Definitely not me @Malone. To begin with, I admit to being slightly blinded by the cheque book. Started becoming "one eyed" after about a year, six months later and I was full on anti Hayes tenure. Never in a million years was I in anyway supporting the move to Booker. Even a slight myopic could see that was a farce right from the off.
    Probably the main reason I supported the Couhig takeover as they weren't asking for the stadium as collateral and always felt more comfortable that they were taking a loss making football club woth zero assets and hoping to turn it around. ?

Fair enough - and apologies for even gently linking you to it. Glad i put the disclaimer in :)

There was a big argument on work email about it at the time.
    One of those annoying "copy everyone in" ones.

A naive, but good meaning woman was talking up the "benefits to the community" of this big sports "hub", and a grissled Wycombe fan was politely trying to point out what we all saw.

A director eventually shut it all down!

• No problem @Malone as I say it was so clear and obvious that WWFC were being shafted that even VAR wasn't needed to sort that out! ?

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

Well that’s a web page that is barely readable due to adverts if ever I saw one.

Summary Derby fcuked. EFL should / will / can help them out.

Why? Not sure. Did they do the same for Macclesfield, Bury, etc? No. Is this a level playing field. Nope.

I actually couldn't read it because a pointless video kept appearing over the top of the content. So thanks.

As for the "Why" question... Because it's Wayne Rooney's Derby County™ and they'll get all the special treatment in the world while that idiot is in charge.

• When i started coming and knew notjing of The Gasroom Hayes was already 'the owner' so I was unaware of the background. I was always anti Hayesodrome though. Seemed mental for a council to be wasting public money