Skip to content

Ikpeazu

Boro have agreed a 1m deal.....

Comments

• I guess we are accepting L1, by the look of it.

• Ah damn it, I was really looking forward to seeing him play.

A good bit of business, but he’s the player that leaves the biggest hole in the playing squad. We setup the entire team around him for our great end of season run.

In Ainsworth we trust.

• At least that's a lot better than 500k!
    Absolutely rips up our plans for the season though.

• The Derby limbo was not as much of an issue until now, as finding goals in the second tier versus the third tier is a completely different proposition.

• edited July 2021

@Shev said:
    The Derby limbo was not as much of an issue until now, as finding goals in the second tier versus the third tier is a completely different proposition.

The overflowing optimism of the end of last season is fast ebbing away though.
    Fred gone, Uche probably going.
    Loanees all long gone.

Samuel has 11 goals in 3 seasons.
    Bayo maybe scraped into double figures? And is 2 years older and is very much back up now.
    Kashket despite his rep, has score a mere 15 goals in 4 seasons

We probably need 2 strikers in fairness. A huge ask.

• edited July 2021

True - we are not so different to the team which struggled at the start of last season now, aside from Taffs, McLeary, Mehmeti and a year of experience for all.

Oh, and Scowen of course.

• Let's be honest, the prospect of Uche in League One was such an exciting one because we know he's too good for the level. That's serious money for us and we'll replace well and be competitive.

• I will say that taking a step back, it is not bad business from a purely financial aspect, developing a player for one year and selling for a million (I think it is actually 750,000 with add ons). If we are in L1 that basically makes us sustainable for another season. I would take that happening once a season, even with the hassle of replacement!

• £1m is very good turnaround for someone who probably cost us about £50k a year ago, to be fair.

But yes, a massive hole now with Muskwe unlikely to join; Fred (who I always saw as a possible replacement for Bayo) gone and Bayo... well, we saw what having to rely on Bayo at the start of last season meant.

We may not have opened the chequebook in Jan but we're certainly going to have to do it now.

• It's the Brentford model. We'll find our next Uche.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Let's be honest, the prospect of Uche in League One was such an exciting one because we know he's too good for the level. That's serious money for us and we'll replace well and be competitive.

Yep - it was the most exciting prospect since the season we got relegated after seeing Tyson storm a number of league 1 defences and the mouth watering prospect of him annihilating league 2.

• @Shev said:
    I will say that taking a step back, it is not bad business from a purely financial aspect, developing a player for one year and selling for a million (I think it is actually 750,000 with add ons). If we are in L1 that basically makes us sustainable for another season. I would take that happening once a season, even with the hassle of replacement!

Oh it's superb, as the rumoured fee was about 50k wasn't it?!

That was always the hoped for fringe benefit of being in the championship. If you have players stand out there, their values are automatically enhanced.

• Is Joe Pigott still available? Suspect he’ll be walking through the door soon!

• I reckon I could fit more than £750k in a truck.

• edited July 2021

They had high hopes for Linton when he came in. Interested to see where he's at in terms of his development - whether it's another loan or they think he might be ready for some first-team minutes at the lower level. Obviously he won't be the direct replacement at this stage.

• @Malone said:
    At least that's a lot better than 500k!

I didn't have any plans to be honest. I suspect Gareth and Dobbo do though and this will not have been done without their agreement I am sure. I would have loved to have seen Uche ripping up L1 with a team he's bedded in with and getting us back up, but money talks both for him and us I suspect. Not sure Boro are the team for him but heigh ho! I thought Gareth's take on squad sizes and transfers in that presentation were spot on. There will be good players available. Not sure if the player that would have saved us is still available but I am sure if he is they will get him.

• @Commoner said:
    Is Joe Pigott still available? Suspect he’ll be walking through the door soon!

I think he's holding out for a Championship move - but you certainly wouldn't say no!

• @Wendoverman said:

@Malone said:

I didn't have any plans to be honest. I suspect Gareth and Dobbo do though and this will not have been done without their agreement I am sure. I would have loved to have seen Uche ripping up L1 with a team he's bedded in with and getting us back up, but money talks both for him and us I suspect. Not sure Boro are the team for him but heigh ho! I thought Gareth's take on squad sizes and transfers in that presentation were spot on. There will be good players available. Not sure if the player that would have saved us is still available but I am sure if he is they will get him.

Not many league 1 teams will be getting that sort of cash injection.
    Just hopefully we're still small enough profile for anyone we get interested in to suddenly up the pricing.

"Little" Wycombe, who have just banked championship wad and have this money knocking about is a different story to the last few years.

• Biamou is still available on a free, would have liked him regardless of Uche leaving.

• Fred and now Uche, that leaves us very light from an attacking perspective. Uche is key to how we play and a massive loss.

Hopefully Ainsworth can find some able replacements.

• Sad to see him go, but it’s a great deal for someone who played half a season for us.

This time next season we’ll be worrying about keeping hold of his replacement, who probably none of us have heard of yet.

• It is a loss but I, for one, trust Gareth & Dobbo with the backing of the Couhigs to find at least one if not 2 good replacements

• @Erroll_Sims said:
    It is a loss but I, for one, trust Gareth & Dobbo with the backing of the Couhigs to find at least one if not 2 good replacements

I know I have absolutely no evidence from the past few years to back it up, but I think we'll be alright.

• @Wendoverman said:

@Malone said:

Exactly. If he'd got injured, had not really worked out in the first place, or had been sold a lot cheaper having moaned his way out (ahem no answer still re: Fred) we would be in the same boat with less cash. They've had to dig players out of reserve team injury tables before barely being able to pay bus fair home after a trial, replacing a guy sold for £1m with possible Championship football in sight this or next season should relatively be a walk in the park. If we've known about it for weeks they will have known longer and be looking at people all over the place. They still won't want to pay over the odds so a bit of patience might be needed until a few targets become free.

• Well, I for one, am very excited for the big announcement of Uche re-signing in 2024

• @prufrock_91 said:
    Well, I for one, am very excited for the big announcement of Uche re-signing in 2024

He's not off to Millwall.

• Personally I think this is a good deal for all parties. Uche will earn more money, Middlesbrough have money to burn and we get good compensation.

If you look at Uche's performance over the whole season and not just the last few games (and he had not exactly pulled up trees at his previous clubs) then in this financial climate £1m seems generous. Providing that these funds are reinvested across the squad wisely, then it is possible we could end up stronger à la Brentford.

Hopefully a good sell on percentage will be Included in the deal.

• In some ways he will be the legend who never was, as he never got to play in front of a packed AP. It must be a strange feeling.

• @mooneyman said:
    Personally I think this is a good deal for all parties. Uche will earn more money, Middlesbrough have money to burn and we get good compensation.

If you look at Uche's performance over the whole season and not just the last few games (and he had not exactly pulled up trees at his previous clubs) then in this financial climate £1m seems generous. Providing that these funds are reinvested across the squad wisely, then it is possible we could end up stronger à la Brentford.

Hopefully a good sell on percentage will be Included in the deal.

Well yes, if you include not playing for half a season then yes.
    But if you look at his game changing performances in the championship its not a surprising fee.