Skip to content

Euros General Thread

Comments

• I may be wrong about GS

• I hope you enjoyed yourself @LX1

• who makes a seven year old watch football in a suit, someone get him an off white T-shirt and a packet of cheesy wotsits pronto

• Assist with the second goal and this good lad

• Anyone else notice all three qualifiers from the 'Group of Death' went out in the round of 16? Not so fearsome after all.

• @Shev said:
    Anyone else notice all three qualifiers from the 'Group of Death' went out in the round of 16? Not so fearsome after all.

Yeah, not really a group of death if all 3 decent teams can go through anyway.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    My word, Kane really is not with it. Never mind, we've got Calvert-Lewin in reserve...

@ReturnToSenda said:
    How on earth is Jane still out there?

The best posts in this thread by far.

Cracking performance and win today. Never really troubled apart from that weird Sterling back pass. Good performances across the pitch and that little bit of quality when it mattered.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@Shev said:
    Anyone else notice all three qualifiers from the 'Group of Death' went out in the round of 16? Not so fearsome after all.

Yeah, not really a group of death if all 3 decent teams can go through anyway.

Group of Mildly Poorly?

• Tube full of drunken fans when I went to work at 11am this morning...not a mask between them. More in the City in groups chanting 'We hate Germans...' I assume like the true Wycombe fans at the Spurs game most of them were incapacitated by kick-off!?

• Great result. Two good goals. Football has at least got its foot on the bus coming home.

• Max Müller, Henning Wehn, your boys took a hell of a beating.

• Sweden and Ukraine just knocking ten bells out of each other.

• Crazy a team can be rewarded for losing two group games and only beating North Macedonia. We owe it to sporting integrity to beat this lot in the QF!!!

• @Shev said:
    Crazy a team can be rewarded for losing two group games and only beating North Macedonia. We owe it to sporting integrity to beat this lot in the QF!!!

And beating Sweden.

• @Chris said:
    Max Müller, Henning Wehn, your boys took a hell of a beating.

I sat next to henning once at Stevenage away. Anyone that has been to Wycombe away at Stevenage is fine by me

• @OnOurWay said:

@Chris said:

I sat next to henning once at Stevenage away. Anyone that has been to Wycombe away at Stevenage is fine by me

Still took a hell of a beating though ?

• @floyd said:

@Shev said:
    Crazy a team can be rewarded for losing two group games and only beating North Macedonia. We owe it to sporting integrity to beat this lot in the QF!!!

And beating Sweden.

Sorry, I meant rewarded by even being in the knockout stages. The whole 3rd place thing. They definitely played their hearts out today!

• The relatively high number of 3rd place slots did mean that almost every match meant there was something to play for. Don’t think many teams were without a chance of going through after the first two games. Kept each group competitive until the end

• One change I might like to see though - yellow cards. 2 in successive matches a player participated in mean a 1 match suspension (participate = play at least 30 min). That way you wouldn’t get key players “rested” to avoid 2nd yellows. Probably only affects 1/4 final though and not sure too many would be rested there.

Interested in others views

• @carrickblue said:
    The relatively high number of 3rd place slots did mean that almost every match meant there was something to play for. Don’t think many teams were without a chance of going through after the first two games. Kept each group competitive until the end

Maybe you are right. After all, there are three third placed teams left out of the four who went through to the second round! I find it amusing that the only 3rd placed team who got knocked out were Portugal, who won the whole thing from 3rd place last time. Ah the cycle of life...

• @carrickblue said:
    One change I might like to see though - yellow cards. 2 in successive matches a player participated in mean a 1 match suspension (participate = play at least 30 min). That way you wouldn’t get key players “rested” to avoid 2nd yellows. Probably only affects 1/4 final though and not sure too many would be rested there.

Interested in others views

Agreed. There should either be a higher threshold or they should be reset after the group stage.

• @Shev said:

Portugal won the thing with three draws in the group stage last time out

• Looks like playing in the smallest country in the world, Wembleystan, is going to pay off.

• @OnOurWay said:

@Chris said:

A new thread maybe... Away games where I have sat next to Henning Wehn

I will throw in Northampton Town

• One thing I found funny was Robert Page saying Wales did not 'deserve to go out like that' as if his team had been robbed by the 4-0 scoreline. A disputed 1 -0 may draw such a response, but surely losing 4-0 means you did deserve to go out like that?

• @Twizz said:
    I hope you enjoyed yourself @LX1

Thanks @Twizz , so much happiness and joy on people's faces. I knew it would be a good day when I walked through my entrance and the first thing I was confronted by was a Chairboys flag draped over the wall on my left.

Not enough words to do it justice but will quote @eric_plant from before the match:
    "Yeah, I'm expecting an emotional rollercoaster that I'll remember for years."

• A rollercoaster indeed @LX1, topped (I won’t use the nowadays horribly misused “surpassed”) only by that gripping contest on the Centre Court yesterday evening. When Sir Andy shouted out in pain as he fell after stretching for what looked like a lost cause, I thought he would have to retire hurt to prevent aggravating whatever it was that caused him such pain. I seriously underestimated his resilience and fighting spirit because, remarkably, he then stepped up a gear and played much more like the Murray of old. Rest history.

• @LX1, it was indeed an evening to remember, I hope it can be surpassed (sorry @Micra) a few more times before July 12th.
    If the EFL could hurry up and dock Derby some points as well, it would make for a glorious couple of weeks.

• If we are confirmed as staying up within this next month, we would have secured Championship football two years running...in the month of July.