Skip to content

Derby County FFP and the EFL

Comments

• A friend of mine brought that up too, so I had a listen. It sounded like he is still saying there is doubt over where we will be. However, GA clearly spoke about L1 in his interview. I think it may be a case of RC not closing the door until something is known for sure, but I thought we DID know for sure (no decision till next year).

• it made me think it had been recored a while ago, but some of the other references indicated that it was extremely recent.

I also noticed eulogies for Darius and Ryan, but no mention for Fred...

• Yeah, I thought it was odd that he didn't seem to accept that it is 100% nailed on that we will be playing league 1 football next season.....
    Maybe he knows something we don't.... But I doubt it!!! I expect he is hanging on until the fat lady sings.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    it made me think it had been recored a while ago, but some of the other references indicated that it was extremely recent.

I also noticed eulogies for Darius and Ryan, but no mention for Fred...

I think the whole club were tidying up their desks that week, in fairness.

• The DC are due to meet any day now to decide on the punishment. I wonder how quickly it’ll be communicated out.

• @Gary said:
    The DC are due to meet any day now to decide on the punishment. I wonder how quickly it’ll be communicated out.

Scenes when Derby trump Cardiff for Uche's signature, only for them to be in L1 and us in the Champo.

• That’s a great post @Shev! And the fixture lists don’t come out until 24 June.

• With fixture date looming, I wonder if there might be any news on the EFL investigation front? (Spots pink flying pig.....!)

• The stadium stuff stinks. Either it's a real sale, in which case the clubs are mortgaging their long term futures to try and find more ways of overspending, or it's a paper transaction deliberately to mislead and swing round the process. Has to be a good chance that next time the clubs inevitably run out of money and owners want to sell up the club and stadium will end up owned by different people with all the fun that brings.

• edited June 2021

The EFL: Where Cheats Prosper.

Sorry, just realized how wrong that is. Let me try again:

The EFL: Where Cheats Are Allowed To Lose A Boatload Of Money In The Hope Of One Day Prospering.

• I’ve been reading the thread on the Derby forum almost daily. It’s a nice mix of those who feel they may end up losing their place in the second tier, those who are putting on the macho fronts and are overly confident that they will be receiving just a fine (“if that”) and the rest sitting somewhere in between.

• They were also rather kind about our interest in the situation, minus one or two who went full on Peterborough mode and claimed we shouldn’t have even been in the Championship.

• @Gary said:
    They were also rather kind about our interest in the situation, minus one or two who went full on Peterborough mode and claimed we shouldn’t have even been in the Championship.

Let me guess. "Wycombe were 15th when play stopped, and only got in because of some obscure formula no-one had ever heard of, plus finding a golden ticket after buying a chocolate bar."

• Jokes aside, if by some miracle we did manage to stay up, we've lost Fred, when most likely we wouldn't have, and could well lose Uche.

That rumoured 500k clause could even include a "if we go down" stipulation too.

No chance we will stay up, as even the journalists who were initially all over this quickly stated that, but any decisions do have big knock on effects.

• I only asked!?

• They haven't even given a deadline for Derby to file the revised accounts ffs.

https://www.efl.com/news/2021/june/-derby-county/

• So we'll have two fixture lists then - unbelievable!

• This is surely unprecedented! I am lost though - the punishment is a slap on the wrist but they are still providing interchangeable fixtures?

• This is when I hate being in the mountain time zone - massive news to discuss, and most Gasroomers asleep! Any insomniacs out there?

• edited June 2021

So there seems to be two schools of thought:

1. EFL expect Derby to fall foul of FFP with republished accounts and relegate them (more promising for us).

2. EFL will appeal ruling, and designed fixtures this way just in case they win. Not so hopeful

I have no idea at this point, but this messes with both clubs (Derby may deserve it, but if they are to be punished, it should be properly and officially, not by leaving both sets of clubs twisting in the wind). How can we plan properly until we know which division we are in?

• Really bizarre.
    Miniscule fine but then the incredible twist that they've designed the fixtures to switch. Not quite sure what that actually involves exactly.

• Bit of limbo for fans that like to book trips early doors around aways too.

• This is top EFL work as usual.

Maybe relegation for derby half way through the season and they swap us with them with each carrying on where the other left off.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    This is top EFL work as usual.

Maybe relegation for derby half way through the season and they swap us with them with each carrying on where the other left off.

Presumably Derby have been given a deadline on the quiet.
    This has to be resolved before August surely.

• If Derby are confident in their accounts for those years why wouldn’t they accept the paltry fine and start the new season with a clean bill of health.
    I expect the appeal to be lodged this morning

• England to win the Euros and Wycombe to be a Championship club in 2021/22.

• What What complete shit show this is... EFL, laughable

• edited June 2021

Absolutely unacceptable that we're being left in this limbo because of another club's cheating. But even if the EFL appeal the decision - which I get that sense they will - will Derby not just drag their feet until they start of next season? Can they do that? It's just the usual vague bollocks from the EFL.

• I think for that to happen there would first need to be a piss up held in a brewery, and I’m not at all sure that the EFL could organise that.