Skip to content

EFL Trophy draw

edited June 2021 in Football

Obviously the most thrilling part of being back in L1 is being involved in the Papa John Trophy. the draw is marked as being made tomorrow on the same day league fixtures are released but the EFL site has the groups already decided other than the 'invited' Under-12s team - and we're in Southern Area Group C alongside our franchise friends and renowned southern club Burton. Full details here https://www.efl.com/news/2021/june/papa-johns-trophy-202122-the-group-stage

Not sure what 'pre-determined' actually means in this incidence other than 'fixed', but it all adds to the glamour and mystique of the nation's most prestigious tournament.

Comments

• I vote for removing the sponsor name from the thread title. Absolute shite of a man.

• He's not involved in the company anymore, I don't think, but done anyway.

• Excellent work. Thumbs up.

• Also, thanks for posting the info in the first place.

• Yes thank you @MindlessDrugHoover. Also, who would have thought of the stunning silence from EFL on the Derby County investigation.???

• I had no idea there was a real Papa John or that he was such a prick. Next you’ll be telling me that Steve Domino is a terf.

• Wait until you hear about Dave Pizza-Hut

• Just had to Google terf and I'm still none the wiser.

I'll add it to the ever growing list of things I'm destined never to understand (crypto currency, NFTs, blockchain being other examples)

• Someone who hates trans people, basically.

• Just thought, with us now having a development squad, there possibly is a little bit more of an emphasis on this competition. This would be a chance to give players in our development squad and others a chance to prove themselves, given they wouldn't really have many chances of minutes in League One?

• Are there still rules about playing so many first team players in these games?

• @Chris said:
    Are there still rules about playing so many first team players in these games?

Yes. Thee link below contains those rules. I think its mainly do to with age of players and the number of those players who meet that criteria etc.

https://www.efl.com/papa-johns-trophy/the-competition/rules/

• edited June 2021

Apparently your straying 11 has to include at least one large, one medium and one small player as well.

• I dare say I'll still be putting a tenner in to watch these woeful games online.

• @Malone - Cap doffed. That is over and above by anyone’s standards

• @bookertease said:
    @Malone - Cap doffed. That is over and above by anyone’s standards

I think going to the games is the ultimate fandom.
    Think I did one game, but it really was soulless, even being able to park in the upper carpark and get away instantly for once.

• Not sure they've ever been online have they?

• But what happens if we' re a Championship club next season!

• Burton makes more sense now, with the interchangeable fixtures.

• edited June 2021

@NewburyWanderer said:
    Not sure they've ever been online have they?

Ifollow!

• @Malone said:

@NewburyWanderer said:
    Not sure they've ever been online have they?

Ifollow!

With the likely take up they could probably just ring you on Zoom.

• I think if EFL trophy games had been available in Einstein's time he might have come up with a different definition of insanity

• @Shev said:
    Burton makes more sense now, with the interchangeable fixtures.

Sweetens the blow of relegation for Derby too.

Having a nice local derby in the cup.

• Villa U21s are the other team. Bit of a Midlands vibe going on, hmm...