Skip to content

Dom Gape ready to go for new season.

Also update on training ground development.
The player will all be back together to start training next Thursday .

Comments

• Great video that, well done all

• Gape is such a great lad. Hopefully he is back to full fitness and he and Curtis continue to build that quartered wall across midfield.

• edited June 2021

@Shev said:
    Gape is such a great lad. Hopefully he is back to full fitness and he and Curtis continue to build that quartered wall across midfield.

I hope not! That would make us almost as static as England. Well, unless we develop Thompson into something more akin to a box-to-box midfielder - but we really need to sign at least one in the Adeniran mould.

• I thought they did quite well in our L1 promotion season, personally.

• @Shev said:
    I thought they did quite well in our L1 promotion season, personally.

Different system, wouldn't suit what we do now (assuming we continue to play that way, of course).

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Shev said:
    I thought they did quite well in our L1 promotion season, personally.

Different system, wouldn't suit what we do now (assuming we continue to play that way, of course).

Different system or just a different opinion?

• I think Gape and Thompson could be incorporated into our system of 3 central defenders, 2 wing backs, a midfield trio (those 2 plus Wheeler/Mehmeti, a.n.other) and Uche plus one.

• I certainly think Gape could @glasshalffull.

• @glasshalffull said:
    I think Gape and Thompson could be incorporated into our system of 3 central defenders, 2 wing backs, a midfield trio (those 2 plus Wheeler/Mehmeti, a.n.other) and Uche plus one.

The three central defenders gives you so many options,JJ can be moved into the middle, in the same way as Sanchez moved Jason Cousins into the centre, when his limited pace started diminishing.
    I often think if Jason was starting his career now, with teams setting up as a back five, he could play at the top level, on the proviso he could curb his enthusiasm for the full blooded tackle a bit.
    As his reading off the game was superb, along with decent distribution and was decent in the air for a chap whose height was probably only 5ft 10.

• According to Wiki Jason is 6ft 1, but I think we need meteorological micra to adjudicate on this @ChasHarps!

• I would be absolutely amazed if Jason was 6ft 1".

• He sat next to me at a game once when he was out injured (or possibly suspended) and he was a lot bigger than he seemed on the pitch. I spent the entire game in a state of awed semi silence.

• @ChasHarps said:
    I would be absolutely amazed if Jason was 6ft 1".

I have a picture of me next to Jason Cousins snd based on me knowing my height I'd say that estimate is about right. I wasn't wearing heels in the picture

• As someone of 6ft 1, I'd be amazed if Cousins was that height. He didn't strike me as taller than Bates or Mccarthy who were both under that.

• edited June 2021

Not sure how you properly paste a photo in, but I think this conclusively shows Jason wasn't anywhere near 6ft 1.

Carroll was 6ft, and McCarthy straddling the 5ft 11/6ft at a push borderline, and you can see he's clearly shorter than both.

https://www.diomedia.com/stock-photo-wycombe-wanderers-fc-team-photo-1996-back-row-left-to-right-paul-mccarthy-david-carroll-jason-cousins-david-kemp-asst-manager-graham-hall-steve-mcgavin-and-keith-ryan-middle-row-jim-image17462291.html

• I find it amazing that despite all the advances in technology etc, there's still no consistent source for player heights ?

• WARNING: Do not click if you don't want to see Alan Sm*th manspreading.

• @Malone said:
    Not sure how you properly paste a photo in, but I think this conclusively shows Jason wasn't anywhere near 6ft 1.

Carroll was 6ft, and McCarthy straddling the 5ft 11/6ft at a push borderline, and you can see he's clearly shorter than both.

https://www.diomedia.com/stock-photo-wycombe-wanderers-fc-team-photo-1996-back-row-left-to-right-paul-mccarthy-david-carroll-jason-cousins-david-kemp-asst-manager-graham-hall-steve-mcgavin-and-keith-ryan-middle-row-jim-image17462291.html

If Jason was 6ft 1, surely his long jump tackle against Donaster, would have broken Lyn Davies record that had at that time stood for over 25 years !!

• I’m not great on heights but 5’10 sounds about right.

Reassuring that my good mate and youngest son is 6’1” (not confirmed by Wikipedia) in case of threats from the good lord.

• In bare feet (swimming pool on the Rye once) Jason Cousins was certainly not as tall as I am as we had a brief conversation and back then I was 6’1

• I always wonder how Wycombe players feel when fans insist on standing back to back with them and taking out the tape measure...

• @Shev said:
    I always wonder how Wycombe players feel when fans insist on standing back to back with them and taking out the tape measure...

Don't ask in Tesco Express...

• Depends on what you're trying to measure I suppose!?

• Have just got round to Matt Cecil’s interview with Dom Gape. Mostly unremarkable but I was surprised to see just how much work has been going on, inside and out, at the training ground and interested to hear that Scotty Kashket “disappears” during the close season! He seemed to do one or two vanishing tricks during the season as well. Bit of a mystery really.

• On a related note, has anyone else been looking at Ryan Tafazolli's blogs? I have watched the first 3 and am very impressed with the work routines that he is putting in to ensure that he is super-fit and much stronger when he starts back.

• I watched the first one to get to “know” him better. Incredibly committed and well organised. Funnily enough, I’ve just been looking at stuff about Kieffer (Roberto Francisco) Moore, not just because our son-in-law is a Moore (!), but because I couldn’t remember how many goals he scored against us last season. The answer is 2, both in Cardiff. At Adams Park, Tafazolli (same height, 6’5”) scored one of our goals; Wheeler the other one.

Moore will be a handful this afternoon, especially at set-pieces. I’m warming to Wales. Very much the international equivalent of little old Wycombe. Sorry, the mighty Wycombe Wanderers.

• @micra You might be the only non-Welsh person not supporting Denmark today!

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    @micra You might be the only non-Welsh person not supporting Denmark today!

I’m going Wales. But only just. In one way it’s a shame they play each other, but at least one makes the quarters. My Dad was born in Prestatyn but the family only lived there for a few months each side of his birth, coming from and returning to Huddersfield. No Welsh ancestors as far as we know. But it’s enough of a connection to nudge my allegiance towards them as my second favourite ‘home nation’.That. and I like Cardiff as a city.

• I'm really looking forward to it, whoever wins i'll be really pleased for them. Not many games like that!

• @micra Knowing the precision of your grammar and spelling (bordering on pedantry - which I admire), can I query your use of speech marks in the post above - I watched the first one to get to “know” him better. Surely, it should be inverted commas as in, get to 'know' him better?