Skip to content

Euros General Thread

Comments

• The thing is, 2018 was just as drab as this but skewed by the fact we bantered our way to the semis. Southgate hasn't only suddenly become a bad coach.

• @Shev said:
    Nothing beats a player directing traffic in the attacking half as if he is going to do something....only to pass it back into his own half.

Henderson?

• @drcongo said:

@Shev said:
    Nothing beats a player directing traffic in the attacking half as if he is going to do something....only to pass it back into his own half.

Henderson?

I think it was Kyle Walker this time, but there will be a next time!

• Good god this is an absolute bore fest!

• We have played 2 average teams and 1 poor team. Scored 2 goals and barely had a sniff of any more. Entertainment value zero. Roll on august and real football coming home.

• Wow. Never thought I’d see a game I enjoyed less than Wycombe v Birmingham. At least the weather was interesting(ish) in that.

• That game's given me a headache. Although that was the only thing stopping me from nodding off.

• Finished top of the group without conceding, a perfectly fine way of navigating the group stage. Not quite sure what all the moaning is about.

• @Chris said:
    Finished top of the group without conceding, a perfectly fine way of navigating the group stage. Not quite sure what all the moaning is about.

You'll find out after the round of 16 match.

• I agree @Chris

For all the joyous reminiscing about Euro 96 and Italia 90, people forget there were some very average displays en route to the semi finals both times

We'll look far better against a team that comes at us

• I certainly wouldn't want to watch that England performance on a regular basis, dull as ditchwater. The lethargy and lack of an sort of flair was shocking.
    I would much rather watch Scotland and their succession of glorious failures, at least there is some honest endeavour and players giving their all for the shirt.

• Scotland scored fewer goals than England.

• Why don't you then?

• Lots of complaining for a side that have won the group without conceding a goal.

• I don't think for one moment these players can be accused of not giving their all; they've just been set up incredibly poorly.

• Have you ever thought of becoming a coach/manager?

• If I thought England had the slightest chance of winning the tournament I’d have been very impressed with those group games. Peter Taylor got us promoted with footbore so if there is an end product to it it’s worth it. But they haven’t, so I’m tuning in for entertainment. That’s why I’m personally moaning, there is none.

• So now we just need Hungary to beat Germany and France to beat Portugal...

Although I’ll be quite pleased when Hungary go out of the competition tbh.

• I want all the home nations to do well and am disappointed Scotland are out and perplexed that England are playing so poorly given the squad they have; perhaps as Tom says it is down to Southgate and his choice of tactics as well as some players being less than 100% fit.

I have watched as many of the games at the Euros as I can and all the Scotland games, tonight I flicked between Scotland and Englands game.

Indeed we did score less goals than England, but all the players looked like they had left everything on the pitch at the end of each game.

As someone said earlier Wales have been far and away the best home nation and have been really impressive.

England so far have looked like they will struggle against pretty much all the teams left in it even the Swiss & the Austrians neither of whom have looked that good; I hope I am wrong and I will be really happy if they surprise me and get to the last 8 or better.

• Our last shot came in the 26th minute

• Haven't we just spent the entire season laughing at fans of other clubs banging on about the right way to play. Yeah, England are a bit boring and defensive but it was a bit better tonight, probably because it didn't really matter and we'll see what happens next week. We've got options if we want to push forward more or have to replace anyone. If you thought you were getting peak Brazil and are getting huffy about it not happening that's nobody else's fault

• And on fitness, I think most nations have looked a little lacking there, but we seem to be worse off and I can't think of a good reason why?

• @eric_plant said:
    Have you ever thought of becoming a coach/manager?

No, but I don't need to be one to have an opinion and see that Southgate isn't getting the best out of one of the most talented groups of players we've ever had.

• I’d wait until we lost a game (or conceded a goal) before I came to that conclusion.

• Anyone remember if the amount of 'minutes' Jimmy Greaves might get in the 1966 World Cup finals was a big talking point?

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@eric_plant said:
    Have you ever thought of becoming a coach/manager?

No, but I don't need to be one to have an opinion and see that Southgate isn't getting the best out of one of the most talented groups of players we've ever had.

Having lived through a good few Golden Generations of English talent I'll safely say this current group will perform the same way as all the others. They aren't in the tournament to entertain. They have won the group and loom in good shape to bore the life out of another team next Tuesday. Hopefully they'll win.

• I hope I'm proved very wrong!

• Surely if we are going with a nationalistic format the whole idea is to inspire and bring your nation together in support of the nation.

Wales have so far done this very well and even Scotland can be said to have achieved that, with their (limited) players apparently giving their all.

I appreciate that I will look extremely stupid in a couple of weeks if our uninspiring performances are a cunning sleight of hand to fool our forthcoming opponents (but I won’t and it isn’t) but can anyone really say that one of the richest, well-resourced football nations on this planet have done anything yet to make the nation proud of its National football team?

• Maybe we'll look better when playing a better team and having to soak up pressure and counter.

• I'm English, and absolutely want nothing but the best for our national team, and I will support them every single game, it infuriates me when English people say they dont support us and prefer other countries to do better... why ??? I just can't understand it. We are not the most entertaining team to watch atm, though I did think we were much better tonight, certainly the first half anyway. I do believe we have a decent bunch of youngsters coming through, but I'm not convinced Southgate is the man to tell them what to do, can't think who else who else would be though. End of the day, we came top of the group and havnt conceded a goal yet, job done.

On the plus side, Scotland are out, great ! Fuck em, celebrating a 0-0 against us like they had won the actual cup... take that Souness